Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the machine shop just called me yesterday, some of my valves were in real bad shape. So I decided to just take the next step and order some new valves. Now atm I have installed the dual springs (KMS) titainium retainers (KMS) Valve stem seals (KMS).
Now I hear great things about both, and I've read much information about the two, virtually identicle, both are dish style valves (unfortunatley), both have the black nitride coating, ect. I guess im curious would there be any difference? I know alot of people use supertech, but what about kms? are the comparible? I will not be oversizing the valve.

Attachments

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
KMS can and does do "special" orders. I do not EVER recommend getting a generic +1mm for the DOHC ZC unless you are going for over 400WHP. KMS can do a set at stock size, which is much better than stock valves, IMO. If you really want to monkey around with things, a .5+ OS on the intake is all I can recommend. I was actually looking at going smaller than stock for the exhaust size, but that is something that will have to wait until I get can custom seats made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same company huh, thats crazy. I ended up ordering the KMS valves in stock size, they did free shipping, and knocked off 15$ off of the price, $250. They have awesome CS there, they always call back and have great anwsers for any questions. I dont plan on going over 400 whp, infact i doubt I will ever see 200 whp. Its a daily driver, probably the only other things that I have planned for the build is some acl lower bearings, new piston (undecided on brand yet), and a delta 272 regrind, Bisi's cam gears.. so I guess maybe 200whp. Tuning is tough to find in Montana and the closest dyno is Spokane, Wa. Its about 4 hours away

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Ive read threads on ST's valves dropping...but never saw anything on KMS's products ever failing.

IDK if its user error or inferior metals..

just my worthless .02

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Same company huh, thats crazy. I ended up ordering the KMS valves in stock size, they did free shipping, and knocked off 15$ off of the price, $250. They have awesome CS there, they always call back and have great anwsers for any questions. I dont plan on going over 400 whp, infact i doubt I will ever see 200 whp. Its a daily driver, probably the only other things that I have planned for the build is some acl lower bearings, new piston (undecided on brand yet), and a delta 272 regrind, Bisi's cam gears.. so I guess maybe 200whp. Tuning is tough to find in Montana and the closest dyno is Spokane, Wa. Its about 4 hours away
Yup. I've "directed" the build of I think 5 DOHC heads this year? KMS has excellent service and prices. I can only recommend them for valve train parts for the DOHC Ds.

Do NOT use Bisi cam gears. They are normally marked incorrectly, and have NOT been corrected.

I will also NOT recommend Delta re-grinds, especially for the DOHC ZC due to some very bad experiences with them. Cam gears are going to be more than enough for a daily driver, since stock cams are large enough and just need some tweaking to pick up a good amount of power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats useful info there, so maybe if I try out adjustable cam gears on stock cams, I will check that out. I've heard the cams in the zc are quite large. By next thursday I will be able to post on the build, it should be done by then. the cam gears will probably come alittle later, I will end up getting B-series cam gears and just remark those. The springs,valves,retainers and head work hurt the bank, haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I have an update, not complete yet (sigh). turns out the springs and retainers were wrong. ( I think) They were touching the casting walls were the cams sit, and the inner spring when compressed was almost chaffing the valve stem seal. So anyways John down at KMS (who rocks btw) offered to build my head for me, I could'nt pass up on that haha. so this wendsday my head will be done and hopefully friday I will get it back and this weeked she will be roaring. anyways I was worried about setting the valve lash but honestly it looks sooooo simple, zcr had a good forum on it which I know you guys know about. but anyways just wanted to shoot you guys an update since its been down for 3 weeks close to a month :(. but also I took all the imperfections out of the intake mani. slightly enlarged ports, hot tanked and painted. heres some pics of what I have been working on. First time doing this to a mani.

Attachments

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
ive heard about him, "building heads for people" and when they go to pick it up, the bill is 5x what he quoted.

watch out, and do a little research on the subject

1 - 13 of 13 Posts