Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used this combo?

I'm planning a balls-deep turbo build, and for the engine, budget is not an issue.

I've got a d16z6, currently at 75.5, but I'm gonna get another block cause they're cheap, and it's good insurance of a precise PTWC.

Thinking stock valves with an upgraded bisi valvetrain *bling*. Honda bearings, toga oil pump.

I haven't decided on a turbo yet, but I'm sure one of you will have a fave.
I'm looking @ about 10-14 psi, favoring throttle response and reliability.

Hondata s300

no aftermarket ignition(msd, etc)

I'm currently just feeling this build out, making sure I have all my stuff sorted.
\
any input is welcome, but I'm mostly looking for anyone who has used KMS internals before.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
well i wouldn't use the FJ custom rods, they would put the piston pretty far out of the deck. Id just go with std, length rods. What kind of power are you looking for? It doesn't seem like a lot so id go with Crower or Probe I-Beams since your after throttle response since they are still quite tought but light weight. Don't bother with the toga pump either. Its just an OEM replacement with a shim. Port a stocker. Id go with a go-autoworks spec turbo for your goals also

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i wouldn't use the FJ custom rods, they would put the piston pretty far out of the deck. Id just go with std, length rods. What kind of power are you looking for? It doesn't seem like a lot so id go with Crower or Probe I-Beams since your after throttle response since they are still quite tought but light weight. Don't bother with the toga pump either. Its just an OEM replacement with a shim. Port a stocker. Id go with a go-autoworks spec turbo for your goals also
Thanks; I'll keep it in mind.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I'll go ahead and say this since none of the "big dogs" have chimed in yet. PSI means nothing ... cfm does. Anywho moving right along. I did a lot of feeling out/research on a mild turbo build and the first thing everyone said was ... pick a number, then choose components that will get you to that number in the most effective way. That being said you said that throttle response and reliability are the main concerns of the build. I'll address these concerns one at a time.

1) I'll start with reliability ... proper maintenance and tuning will be your best friends here ... and since budget is no issue make sure you get a turbo from a reputable company. 1.5Slowmatic recommended go-autoworks, and I couldn't agree more I haven't dealt with Greg a whole lot (currently just an intercooler/piping kit) but he was great to work with and very helpful and knowledgeable when it came to helping me make decisions regarding my purchase. Talk to him ... he'll make sure you get what you need.

2) Throttle response. In this case I have very minimal knowledge ... so you might want to wait for some other people to corroborate what I say before you take it to heart. Choose the smallest (or at least a smaller) turbo that will get you your target number and still stay within it's efficiency range. That way you will get a faster spool (which in turn will give you better throttle response). Again Go-Autoworks will be an great resource.

I'm sure other people will have more eloquent answers than I do, and quite possibly better information. But that's my .02 for what it's worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts