Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My buddy is selling his kkk26 turbo and I am contemplating to sell my tdo4 in order for me to buy his kkk26. But some ppl told me to stick to my 15g, cause it is a better turbo. Well, what do you guys think? Comparing the 2 turbos...overall which one is better? And what max psi can I run on each?

Another question, I heard that in the td04 turbo if I turn up my boost +12 psi my IAT will be really high and can cause some heat soak on my turbo. Is this true? I also have a methanol injection, if I boost the 15g lets say round 12-13 psi...will this still concern me though I am running a methanol injection?

Thanks a lot guys, for inputs and info. Gladly appreciate it.

Bjorn.

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
my set up will be the 15g on 14psi with methanol injection as well.. the kkk26 is too small. and the heat soak issue comes with anytime you push big psi on a turbo.(nearing its peak). which i have been told and read is about the max on the 15g before it just is useless. you should be fine. i have been told by a well respected honda guy that its a good combo.. so.

and wasnt this already a ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my set up will be the 15g on 14psi with methanol injection as well.. the kkk26 is too small. and the heat soak issue comes with anytime you push big psi on a turbo.(nearing its peak). which i have been told and read is about the max on the 15g before it just is useless. you should be fine. i have been told by a well respected honda guy that its a good combo.. so.

and wasnt this already a ?
thanks for the response man. so 14 psi is the max boost on the 15g then? anything more than 14 then i will have some heat soak issues on my turbo? and what you mean when posted "and wasnt this already a?" and if you dont mind what engine are you running your setup on man?

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
i thought that i read this ? before. maybe not from you. but it was recently.. anyways. my motor is a stock jdm d15b. and as for the heat soak. .. not too sure on that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My WRX runs the stock td04 and I have had no problems with it (64,000mls) and stock they run 13 psi and right now I am running about 17 psi tuned for about 5000 miles and seems to run fine and haven't noticed all that much heat soak

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My WRX runs the stock td04 and I have had no problems with it (64,000mls) and stock they run 13 psi and right now I am running about 17 psi tuned for about 5000 miles and seems to run fine and haven't noticed all that much heat soak
Your WRX also uses a 13T, not a 15G. The max flow a 2 bar is believed to be similer, but I've never seen a compressor map for one yet. I'm sure the 13T is capable of higher pressure ratios from other T-series maps I've seen.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
is that maxed out then? at 14lbs?
never really took it over 14psi. On my friends car it was pretty much maxed out when he tried over 14psi on the dyno.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts

According to the flow chart, the compressor doesn't seem to be a problem until higher... The Mistsu TD04H turbine wheel, however, is very small and the greddy exhaust elbow is very restrictive.
I think you can increase your boost pressure and make great power if you change your downpipe...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
is that maxed out then? at 14lbs?
Depending on A/F ratio there's 3-4 useable pounds of manifold pressure left, but that's it.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts

According to the flow chart, the compressor doesn't seem to be a problem until higher... The Mistsu TD04H turbine wheel, however, is very small and the greddy exhaust elbow is very restrictive.
I think you can increase your boost pressure and make great power if you change your downpipe...
I already have the 2.5in Kteller d/p :) I guess when my y8 is built and its on the dyno, we shall see how everything pans out... I will most def. keep everyone posted this spring!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I already have the 2.5in Kteller d/p :) I guess when my y8 is built and its on the dyno, we shall see how everything pans out... I will most def. keep everyone posted this spring!
Get rid of the elbow... Change it to a tubular 2.5" or 3"...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
so I am guessing the td04h is maxed out at 17 psi then? how bout with 3" downpipe? can the td04 be pushed at least round 20 psi with some good tuning? thanks.
Depending on your exact setup, and takeing into account things like pressure loss through the system, how efficant your intercooler is, of efficant your exhaust system is.

Figure if you go much past 17 pounds positive pressure at the manifold your just pushing hot air, or overspeeding your turbo. Either way it's not efficant and not going to live long under those conditions. Your best bet if you want to make more power safely is to move to a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
and I believe you can do 20psi on the 15G. I've already done 15psi on the stock motor, and the IATs are not that different from those at 12psi for example ...

it also comes down to what intercooler you're using

you should use bigger intake pipe, and possibly get rid of the exhaust elbow

oh, and did I say that past 11psi the stock internal WG sucks a ton :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
and I believe you can do 20psi on the 15G. I've already done 15psi on the stock motor, and the IATs are not that different from those at 12psi for example ...

it also comes down to what intercooler you're using

you should use bigger intake pipe, and possibly get rid of the exhaust elbow

oh, and did I say that past 11psi the stock internal WG sucks a ton :(
i want to up my boost on my d15 around 12 psi...you think my d15 can handle it? and in like around 2 weeks, i am getting a 3" downpipe, which i will get rid of the exhaust elbow, when i get it welded. and since i picked up my buddies tial wastegate, i was thinking to use this on my 15g...since i know past 11 psi, internal WG is not that great. i am using DCP intercooler, well this is a custom that i picked up. so you think will all this that i am doing...you think 12 psi is reachable on a stock d15 motor? thanks.

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
with a great tune and a stock block and internals i think 14 psi is fine. i will let you know soon,. or you let me know if you beat me to it..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts