Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently redid my bearing clearance after having to rebuy rod bolts from ARP and at 50 ft lb of torque with my scat ARP 2000 3/8 x 1.600 my clearances came out to .001

I read that this is on the tight side especially for a turbo motor that I'm shooting for close to 400hp as possible

Would you recommend running this clearance ? If so what oil should I use?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.0010 on the rod bearings, two look like they are barely under the .0010 mark so I'd say .0012-3 on two but should I worry about spinning a bearing ? What oil viscosity and brand should I use ??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Buy an outside micrometer and dial bore gauge.

If you are building your own stuff you need to know to the .0001 decimal place. Plastigage is not good enough.

I personally wouldn't run less than .0013 on the stock d16 journal size of 1.771"/45mm

The only reason for super tight clearances (to my knowledge) is to reduce windage/oil mist in the crankcase as it comes out from under the bearings.

One of my favorite proverbs about bearing clearance is if you run too loose of a clearance, only you will know. Run too tight and everyone will know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the king race STD bearings, would you recommend me trying an undersized bearing ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I got the king race STD bearings, would you recommend me trying an undersized bearing ?
This is a great comment:

Did you get the crank micropolished?
A machine shop is going to be able to take .0005" or less off a crank journal pretty easily.

You need to know exactly how much though. Micrometer/bore gauge are your only option realistically unless you have the machine shop do all of it for you

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
It seems you have been having many issues trying to get his engine built. I would just throw in the towel and take it to a professional.
What kind of shitty advice is this?

Dude is coming here for help. Nobody knows everything on day one. Get off your 43 post high horse and actually contribute something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Buy an outside micrometer and dial bore gauge.

If you are building your own stuff you need to know to the .0001 decimal place. Plastigage is not good enough.

I personally wouldn't run less than .0013 on the stock d16 journal size of 1.771"/45mm

The only reason for super tight clearances (to my knowledge) is to reduce windage/oil mist in the crankcase as it comes out from under the bearings.

One of my favorite proverbs about bearing clearance is if you run too loose of a clearance, only you will know. Run too tight and everyone will know.
Lolol, I like that proverb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you get this engine put together? If you are thinking about getting undersized KING bearings I would give SpeedFactory a call. All they use is KING bearings and should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol I actually laughed at the throw in the towel comment, this is my second motor I'm just trying to get better as I go.

As for the bearings I ended up buying some ACL STDX that gives me the .001 extra clearance and I came out with .0015-.002 across all my rods so I'm happy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Motor is complete and in, just doing little things here and there, got Honda MTF in and went with some SAE 30 for the initial start up, just waiting for a new basemap so I can start it with the speed factory four bar map sensor and grams 255 pump, my previous compression was in the 9s with JE pistons eagle rods now I got the vitara pistons stock length rods

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,046 Posts
why Honda mtf? do you not read through this site?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,046 Posts
go read around and figure out "why not"

hell, even the damn fsm tells you what to use.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts