Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I wasnt sure whether to put this question in this forum or the tuning forum... No, I didnt put it in both. I have a 96 civic with the d16y7 engine and I am looking to convert it to obd1... Which ecu do I need to look for? I know its probably an obvious answer to most of you but I'm unfamiliar with ecu codes. Thank you in advance for any help with my noob question. Also, I haven't done a mini-me swap, nor do I really plan to.

·
Registered
95 honda civic coupe
37 Posts
any chipped obd1 ecu, po5 (with proper mods to use four wire o2), p06 (the most common choice), or p28 (if your a rich kid), i think iv'e seen a tuned y7 map around here somewhere. so look around and good luck

·
Registered
EK1 Sedan
60 Posts
any chipped obd1 ecu, po5 (with proper mods to use four wire o2), p06 (the most common choice), or p28 (if your a rich kid), i think iv'e seen a tuned y7 map around here somewhere. so look around and good luck
whats the difference between a p05 and p28? i curious too about which ecu to change my d16y4 so i can chip it with a hondata s300

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok... so i just picked up a p06 ecm/ecu (whichever one you want to call it)... and now i have a new question... is this just a direct plug and play type of setup? im going to get the boomslang conversion harness with my next paycheck and it would be nice to know if there is anything else i am going to have to do and/or buy to make sure that my car fires right up

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you will need an obdii -> obdi conversion harness, you can pick one up at xenocron.com, they are a sponsor here and are a good company

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so with a conversion harness (thanks for telling me about xenocron btw, they are a little less exspensive than boomslang) its a plug and play swap?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
as far as i know yes, i've been playing around with the idea of doing this to my 98, however i don't know if it will be worth it for myself due to the restrictions i'll be undergoing for the autocross class i'm trying to get into, but as for the research thus far yes, it is pretty much plug and pray (lol, computer joke)...

·
Registered
646 Posts
or p28 (if your a rich kid)
Why do you say this? I've seen P28's go for next to nothing around here. I picked one up for my old GS-R for $30 and then paid $40 to have it chipped with a basemap locally. I would say that JDM P30's w/ the small case are expensive.

ok so with a conversion harness (thanks for telling me about xenocron btw, they are a little less exspensive than boomslang) its a plug and play swap?
Yes it it a plug and play swap. I'm pretty sure that the P06 will have a similar enough map on it to run your car the same way it's running now. With the harness you'll just need to plug in the new ecu and go. I did this on my 00 GS-R when I converted to OBD1 as well. It's very easy.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome... thanks for the info and all the help guys... i appreciate it all

·
one grumpy old man
786 Posts
are you swapping the y7 intake manifold?

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
whats the difference between a p05 and p28? i curious too about which ecu to change my d16y4 so i can chip it with a hondata s300
the P05, P06, P28 are all similar...

P05,
add the mod for 4 wire O2 sensor and add a chip kit and it is the same as a P06 with chip kit.

add 4 wire O2 mod, and VTEC mod, and it is eqivelent to a P28 chipped

P06,
add the VTEC mod and it is the equivelent to a chipped P28

if you buy the VTEC/Chip kit mod from xenoncron (good people) they include the 4wire mod for the P05, if you indicate in the drop down you have one.

priceing for P28 vary siginificantly by area, in this area a P05 is usually about $40, P06 is about $50 and a P28 is usually about $100-$125, but you have to rem a vtec kit from xenocron is like $20 so add that to the price of your P05/P06 and you should be good...

OP: a stock P06 should run a D16Y7 fine, with no problems, it will run better with a tune, but will run decent stock...

i have 20k miles on my D16Y5 with my stock P06, similar engine with VTEC E and only have issues when mrs drives it...

sloopy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts