Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so begins my long build. This is my first build, I am aiming to build a reliable turbo powered civic. So far, everything is stock on this car. I bought it used less than a year ago (after owning a 97 EX, and an 86 Si). When I mean everything is stock, I mean I found the most original used car I could complete with the factory radio/cd player, optional Honda floor mats, and all the trunk lining. Every code on every part of the body matches.

My idea for the build started because I wanted to improve fuel consumption. I, like most of my noob companions debated intakes, headers, exhausts to achieve this goal. And then I began learning things on this site--various build threads, engine building section, forced induction and the n/a section all kinda pointed me in the direction of turbocharging. I also have a slight excuse to open up the engine--one of the bolts on the valve cover is snapped in the engine head, probably because whoever owned the car before over torqued it. That's my excuse and I am sticking with it.

My plan so far:

-Street kit from Go-Autoworks
-Garrett t3
-Forged pistons (debating Arias and Wiseco--still learning about calculating c/r)
-Forged Rods
-I want a compression ratio no lower than 9.5:1. My horsepower goals are between 250 and 280. I don't want to get crazy--this will be a daily driven street car used for commuting, long-distance driving, and the usual. I have no desire to drive this car in straight lines.

I am open to suggestions and advice for sure, as I will be trying a lot of new stuff.

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some work. Really just maintainance. New spark plugs, wires, timing belt, water pump, some new bolts here and there. This build is going much slower than I had originally planned but that's fine. I had to get my priorities figured out, so the car will stay mostly as-is for now. Any repairs needed will result in upgrades.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm sorry for commenting off topic on your thread... But I need Alil help... I bought a p28 ecu chipped for a b20v and I have a d16y8 and when I plugged it in it bogs Lot on low rpm someone told me I have to chip it back to single cam but the ecu have Vtec to crack at 4 rpm and past redline all the way to 10. I just want to know if I have to replace one chip to make it work for a single cam with all the extras or do I have to make it back to factory setting.? Thank you and sorry again for using your thread

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the support everyone! I'm tryin to figure out the pics upload! Got them on my phone and now have to get them off.

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what's happening?

So the long slow build continues. I did say it would be slow, right? My goal is to post some pics a little later, gotta figure that out still. So far, I have had to take the car in for some work...I don't have a garage, or some of the tools necessary at the moment. I had a new wheel bearing installed, after I noticed a popping noise when the car slowed down in gear, new a/c clutch bearing (in cold weather, I could hear grinding from the a/c), and I got the Yonaka catback after my muffler rusted out.

So the build has been going pretty slow because I had to re-evaluate my priorities in life over the summer and realised that I should be saving more money, not spending it. I just got super pumped about the project after reading so many successful turbo builds on here!

On my teacher budget, it takes a little longer to make this happen than it would for others (remember--North Carolina is basically last in the Union in teacher pay).

I also bought an engagement ring, proposed to my girlfriend, and we are now in the process of planning our wedding/honeymoon! Super excited for this to happen!! So the car has definitely taken a back seat. But, progress will continue--just at the slow rate I promised!

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muffler shot

So my muffler had been damaged before I bought the car. I think it had a very slight bump. The bumper has a slight gap, and the tailpipe was jammed up when I bought it, so it had some issues already. It rattled when I drove it and eventually rusted out. Perfect excuse to get a new catback! I went for the Yonaka, after a lot of research, and then looking at my budget. I definitely like the lack of rasp, the quality of the pipes, the quiet low tones, and the craftsmanship is pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been loving the yonaka but my catalytic converter is rattling. The guy who cut my old exhaust off messed up my heat shield. So I'm looking at an aftermarket cat.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
I have been loving the yonaka but my catalytic converter is rattling. The guy who cut my old exhaust off messed up my heat shield. So I'm looking at an aftermarket cat.
Yea my cat rattled when I got my car also. I ended up just welding the shield in place.
Most of the time it's the spot welds that rust out.

But as far as after market cats go. There going to cost.
I forgot the name of the one that works best with hondas.
I think it started with a d but can't remember. I know it was like $150.

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sad End of the Project

Lots to update on this project:

1. Car was running great, had planned on replacing stock (and worn out) suspension this summer. I even got the green light from my wife. I had planned on some stiffer springs, adjustable ride height, adjustable dampening coilovers. Also looking to get a camber kit to keep alignment tight.

2. I hit a deer, so that set me back a little. That thing came out of nowhere early in the morning on my commute. I wanted to add fog lights for visibility. Also, I had to replace the front driver's fender.

3. Then I got in an accident. At 235,XXX miles, I was driving home after work, and my commute is about 30 miles one way - I was one exit from being off the highway. It was during heavy traffic and traffic slowed to a halt, I put brakes on hard (no ABS), lady behind me was not looking, I swerved the wheel to the right. She hit me hard, and pushed me off the road, then hit the next guy. Needless to say, driving a car of that age, it was totally written off.

It is a really sad end to this car. I loved this little car. It still runs and drives. Mechanically, still a good car, but totally unsafe if I ever got rear-ended again. I will probably take it to the salvage yard so it can at least be an organ donor.

I needed a daily driver, so I was looking a lot on Craigslist.

Then, as I was looking at a bunch of ancient civics on Craigslist, I stumbled upon a real EM1 (VIN numbers matched, at a dealer, with clean title, carfax, etc. 200,000 miles.) I went for it.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,775 Posts

Reactions: mrblur

·
Registered
1999 Civic Si (EM1)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A serious hiatus!

I’ll be changing the name of the journal from my original long build d16y8 turbo dream. But keeping the original thoughts, hopes, dreams, and back story is important for context.

That, and it serves as a reminder for me to stay humble, do important work, and keep it focused.

Originally, I started thinking about forced induction after being so inspired/tempted by so many beautiful build projects here. I’m realising a few years older (maybe wiser) that my love for driving and my love for classic 90’s Honda Engineering can sometimes get me overzealous with the goals. That being said, I’m going to avoid naming a goal for my car- aside from preserving, maintaining, restoring, upgrading, enjoying, driving, and savouring the experience with it.

You may notice it isn’t a D-series Honda. My journey with Hondas began in an ‘86 Civic Si with an EW4, and my next two cars were a ‘97 EJ8 and ‘00 EJ8 both with D16Y8 motors, so I’ve decided to stay here anyway with my 99 EM1 and its B16A2. The chassis is basically the same as my previous two cars, and the amount of useful knowledge here at D-series.org is tremendous, without the bloat of some of the other forums, and most importantly, without the inaccuracies of the other forums. So judge me for that if you will.

I’ll post some pics and then try and remember to post in the future when I’m documenting the work. This is really for me to keep track of what’s going on with the car. None of it’s gonna be glamorous 400whp forged piston LSD burnouts. But if you like weird stuff like power window regulator to manual window regulator conversions and rust remediation, this is the place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts