Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I was trying to find a way to disable my alternator during the drag runs or when needing to pass another car. The way I calculated , our 60Amp alternator takes up about 1-2 hp during working cycle. Looking over the circuit manual what I discovered is that our 5th generation and newer Civics already have this handy feature built in. Our ECU is handeling this task already under certain conditions to improve economy and performance.
This is what happens.
Normally, our alternator charges our battery to approx 14.5v except under below conditions the alternator is switched to 12.5 V (or stops charging until battery voltage drops to 12.5V)
1. Current draw is below 10Amps
2. 3600rpm or lower
3. below 65KM/hr

Since I got my car I was always driving with headlights on and radio playing.
what I realized is that our headlight alone draw at least 10amps (not including tail lights and other accessories.)

From this day on, I no longer keep the headlights on during the day.
Now for the Challenge.
Can someone with access to dyno perform a little expirement to prove my theory? 1 run with lights, fan, radio, etc on and one run with all accessories off besides the radio (unless you got one of those 100Watts plus radios playing full blast)

Always looking for free HP's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I saw this done in an "import" magazine like import tuner or turbo or something ill look for it. It makes alot less of a difference than you would think.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok fine...

Radio would not make a difference but driving with light on would. True, 1-2whp is no big deal but just one of the factors in a big equation.
Rock on and more free ponies....

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Grounding out your engine gives you more than that...
and I prefer to have my radio on...I cant sing!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How does the ECU do this exactly? It crawls out of the dash and pulls the belt off the alternator? Whether you like it or not, every time the engine is running, your alternator is being turned by the belt, not a whole lot you can do about it, unless you fill your car with deep cycle batteries and plug your car in when you park at night. :\

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
civic4ges said:
And god knows when you are on the road...you need to be calm!!!!
hilarities

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jlacoy82 said:
How does the ECU do this exactly? It crawls out of the dash and pulls the belt off the alternator?
They use the new Honda robot, not only can it walk and jog.. but it can take a belt off while the car is going down the road.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
modsHXcivi said:
i also heard it can change your oil to
i got the fembot...she gives you road head with the push of a button..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
get some lighter wheels that will give free up five or six horses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts