Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a really hard time deciding on this one. I'll try to make this brief

-Supercharged D16A6 w custom water to air intercooler in 91 CRX Si.

-I have a VERY high quality lytron dual core heat exchanger (12X24", all copper, dual row).

-AC is is still in car, was previously converted to R134A, doesn't cool very well BUT I have some R12 that I could use to convert it back.

-Primary purpose of car is to autox with occasional street usage.

I can't fit the heat exchanger between the bumper and the T-bar without cutting the bumper support in half.

I'd really like to use this radiator/heat exchanger because it's superb quality, I got a hell of a deal on it, and I think it would make the supercharger intercooler much more efficient. I can remove the AC system which would free up space where the condenser was and mount this in it's place.

I was really hell bent on keeping AC but I have no guarantee that the system would even work well after I evacuated, cleaned, and refilled with R12.

So, what would you do?

Keep AC and buy a smaller heat exchanger?
Scrap AC and use the larger, better quality heat exchanger?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If its not a DD id say toss it (into a box for later)
Specially seeing as how hot it gets in TX that SC will raise temps much quicker.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about mount it under the battery and use dryer air ducts to feed it air from outside?
Can't see any possible way to mount it anywhere near the battery. Was just under the car and there's definitely not 24" of room anywhere near there.

One thing I'm wondering is if I really even need the front bumper support at all (aside from the mounting points).

I was doing some research and found a comparison between a HF and a SI bumper:

I could probably cut everything but the front part of the beam and have enough room for the radiator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
those ef's are a pain in the ass to boost, im in the same boat now with a turbo kit no spare room for a condenser fan.. shit sucks

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
GTFO. EFs have craptons of room compared to 1G/3G cars.

Patrick-

Sell that heat exchanger and get something less tall but wider. Don't get hung up on using something just because you got a good deal on it. Free stuff has almost always cost me more in the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
unless you spend 300+ on a traction bar(down pipe and half size rad space)
and spend lots of time making custom stuff then its not happening with ac

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Patrick.
Only you can decide which function means most to you.

If it really is a race car dump the A/C and buy a cool vest if necessary and race a faster lighter car.

If it really is a summertime cruiser,keep the A/C and live with higher IATs and existing weight.

If you want the best of both, figure a way to mount it and shed weight elsewhere.

Possibilities.

Modify bumper/support as required.

Under the bonnet (hood) like the OEM ones with hood scoops.

In rear luggage compartment space with an electric fan to cool it.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTFO. EFs have craptons of room compared to 1G/3G cars.

Patrick-

Sell that heat exchanger and get something less tall but wider. Don't get hung up on using something just because you got a good deal on it. Free stuff has almost always cost me more in the end.
Agree. Getting a good deal is not reason enough to sacrifice other things. Not sure I'll be able to find anything wider than the 24" that the lytron cooler is though.

Measured between the bumper support and the splash guard piece on the bumper and it's about 6". Found a few 5"x15" oil coolers with 3/8" barbed fittings. Found two 5"x20" coolers with 1/2" fittings but they were 3x the cost. I suppose I'll go with the 5"x15".

Patrick.
Only you can decide which function means most to you.

If it really is a race car dump the A/C and buy a cool vest if necessary and race a faster lighter car.

If it really is a summertime cruiser,keep the A/C and live with higher IATs and existing weight.

If you want the best of both, figure a way to mount it and shed weight elsewhere.

Possibilities.

Modify bumper/support as required.

Under the bonnet (hood) like the OEM ones with hood scoops.

In rear luggage compartment space with an electric fan to cool it.

It's purpose is race-oriented...but I don't want to completely limit my options should I decide that I want to drive it to work one day. I'm wondering how much I would actually benefit from cutting the bumper support if over half the radiator would be covered by the bumper skin. Am I really gaining anything at that point by having a larger cooler if air is only flowing over half of it?

Funny you mentioned the hood thing...I had been thinking the same. Unfortunately, the cooler I already have is 24" wide so the hole in the hood would be huge and the hood scoop would look ridiculous. Guess looks don't mean much when you're racing though...

I've already dumped so much cash into this car that I suppose another $50-$70 isn't going to mean much. Worst case scenario, I'll scrap the lytron cooler for the copper content. 15-17lbs of copper would yield a decent amount these days.

I suppose I'll just buy another cooler, keep the AC, and go from there.

Thanks for the input everybody

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unless you spend 300+ on a traction bar(down pipe and half size rad space)
and spend lots of time making custom stuff then its not happening with ac
heh, I spent over $400 on the traction bar and just dumped $130 or so on the half rad...

Spent the last 3 hours figuring out how to get the half rad w/slim fan and shroud to fit with the torque mount on the ESP traction bar.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
You could Swiss cheese the bumper in front of the heat exchanger or cut a hole and build a reinforcement frame around the hole and cover it with an expanda mesh grill.

The scoop in the bonnet does not need to be as big as the heat exchanger so long as the air flow is eventually dispersed over the entire cooler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol see thats what im afraid of spending all that money for me to have to do more work and cut up a 300+ dollar piece..Im turboing my ef and for now i took the ac off but as soon as i get a new custom manifold that bitch is goin back on,my first rex didnt have ac and it sucked very badly

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this from summit:

15" x 5" with 3/8" inlet/outlets for $35.

Will fit perfectly within the grille opening so I won't have to cut or modify much if anything.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
heh, I spent over $400 on the traction bar and just dumped $130 or so on the half rad...

Spent the last 3 hours figuring out how to get the half rad w/slim fan and shroud to fit with the torque mount on the ESP traction bar.
Make it your self! $120 home made traction bar!

EDIT who needs ac when you have boost!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I was looking into heat exchanger options for my ED a couple of years ago. The factory Ford Lighting unit seemed like it might be a good solution.

I added AC a couple of years ago, and was looking for options to go boost and keep AC. I bitched out and went NA.

:smile:

Agree with Beave about running multiple smaller coolers in series.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts