81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
HELP PLEASE:
missing 2 of these little locker pins
anyone have a set they could help me out??

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Hey D-series family ,
Need good advice on my y8 cam, this is the worst lobe. Polish it out, leave it, buy a new cam?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
can you feel it with your fingernail?

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Just barely. I have access to a lathe and I'm thinking just polishing all the lobes. The pads on the rockers have light grooves too.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
be careful when polishing

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
724 Posts
I just went through something similar when I had my cam sent to Colt Cams.

He asked me if I was replacing all of my rocker arms! I said I wasn't planning to, but that the lobe wear on the VTEC lobe was some of the worst he'd seen. Even though he reground the cam back perfect, the arm pads still had grooves.

I lucked out and was able to swap all the Z6 rockers from another head I have over to the Y8, Z6 head had good rocker arm pads.

The problem with polishing the lobes/followers is that those pieces are typically only surface hardened. Once there is wear that starts to make grooves, the metal is worn beyond the hardened surface, and additional wear will take place quickly.

If you do attempt to polish, use ZDDP additive and a really good cam lube during reassembly so the follower pads and lobes have good lube till oil pressure picks up.

ZDDP additive, a must for flat tappet lifters or any mechanical non-roller lifters. "ZDDPlus" from either Ebay or Amazon, highest zinc content of any aftermarket additive. I bought a 5 pack recently so I'm good for a few oil changes.

Cam lube: Federal Mogul Sealed Power Assembly Lube, NAPA part # SEP 55400, its $8 and sticks to parts like crazy. Also has good ZDDP content.

The ZDDP additive will help significantly reduce additional wear if you reassemble what you have as-is. This is why I typically run diesel engine specific oils in my civic and pickup truck. Rotella T6 5w40 in the civic, and Rotella T5 10w30 in the pickup. Both engines have flat tappet/mechanical follower lifters, and the diesel engine oil already has significantly more ZDDP in it compared to almost none in most gasoline engine oils. Adding the ZDDP bottle from ZDDPlus puts the level of ZDDP in the range of where it is actually proactively helping to prevent wear.

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thank you Dr.
Yes I can see that building motors requires a lot of knowledge and dedication. This forum has been a real blessing.
My humble thanks to slo and dr,
h.m.

?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
724 Posts
HM, sorry yesterday was stupid busy for me just getting back in town and settled!

I'll get in the garage today after work and pull the rockers off the Z6 head, get you your pins!

I should be able to get em shipped out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Picked up the block, so nice to see a clean machined block! That's the good news
The y8 head is salvageable but needs more than i have in the kanjo funds right now.
PLAN B
I have a d15B vtec head fresh from the m.s. I as going to use for a turbo build. Now its going on the d16a6. All is great 👍 I have a fresh motor from top to bottom. Start building it up this weekend if all stays quiet around home. And yes I'll have questions so stay tuned! 😊
The fun is just beginning.

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
That's one pretty hatch! Love it!
HM, sorry yesterday was stupid busy for me just getting back in town and settled!

I'll get in the garage today after work and pull the rockers off the Z6 head, get you your pins!

I should be able to get em shipped out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!
Thank you Dr. YTB, no rush but having the locker pins will help when its time.
As I found out from my machinist the y8 is a good head. Needs welded and decked and the cam Replaced! Not polished, lol!!
L&L and I'm learning, every day.

Thank you 😊
H. M.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts