Honda D Series Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
FYI I'm not a doctor. Just don't tell anyone.... lol.

It is super nice, you've got way more patience and skill to take care of the looks aspect of your cars, respect!
Thanks Doc, I see it before I touch it. It's all the little details that in the end push the project above what ppl expect.
Honda Mike

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Orderd an engine kit from Parts Ology today
D16A6. 020 over sized pistons/rings, bearings are all standard. Oil pump, water pump, timing belt.
This is my 1st build figured I better do this before I kick the bucket, lol.
Also emailed Mark McKenzie from hsg and he emailed me back! Asked about the transmission. Hes always doing a build and he has done more than a couple ef9s
Wow what a day!
Thanks to everyone this is going to be a good build!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
question.....why stock engine parts?

high comp pistons would make you smile faster....and rods for security.....maybe........boost? lol

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Just money, I don't have any, lol. The kit with water pump was 230.00, 600.00 machine shop bill, I have over a grand in the motor with the head. So yea it adds up too fast.

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
this afternoon I started cleaning the combustion chambers in the head and found at some point this head was handled a bit ruff.
So slo- eg8 do you think it'll hurt the head gasket seal to the head?

20200417_172727.jpg

I'm probably going to glue emery cloth to a metal work bench drop the valves and give it a little massage.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
724 Posts
this afternoon I started cleaning the combustion chambers in the head and found at some point this head was handled a bit ruff.
So slo- eg8 do you think it'll hurt the head gasket seal to the head?

View attachment 136191

I'm probably going to glue emery cloth to a metal work bench drop the valves and give it a little massage.

View attachment 136192
Honestly, I would send to machine shop. There are some serious grooves and pitting that need to be shaved out.

That's a serious chance to take trying to sand those imperfections out when machine shop would only charge $50 to cut the head.

·
4,403 Posts
do you have any pics of a gasket laid over it?

someone didn't like that head. how are the spark plug holes marred up? and it looks like with the scuffing, it was sandpaper'd "flat".

a lot of copper gasket and a new mls.....maybe a priest to bless it

napa machine shops don't charge a whole lot to deck them. cheaper if you pull the valves and studs and things.....

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Okay thanks
that's what I'll do. I have the block at the shop now getting the pistons fitted, so I'll p/u the block and drop off the bare head and have it decked. I can add new seals and lap the valves when I get it back.
Thanks again this is a new part of the restoration process and I'm thankful for the input. ?
Is there a longer head bolt thats used in this mini me? Or just the D16A6 bolts?

·
4,403 Posts
I assume y8 head on a6...... so a6 everywhere except for the hole closest to the 4th intake runner, y8.

youre using new bolts/studs right?

·
4,403 Posts
youre really not supposed to reuse them....but I understand lol

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Hey slo,
Found a new set of y8 head studs, will that work instead of the 6a bolts?

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Bought y8 head bolts and a y8 head gasket today. If anyone needs a y8 head bolt I have 9 of them, lol.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
724 Posts
Bought y8 head bolts and a y8 head gasket today. If anyone needs a y8 head bolt I have 9 of them, lol.
Did you buy bolts from Honda? Last time I bought head bolts from Honda, it was technically cheaper to go ARP lol. Hopefully the price wasn't too bad?

My last experience was $13-14 per bolt, I needed 10. ARP set was $89 on sale lol, but I needed them ASAP for an NA build I was working on and couldn't wait for shipping.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts