Honda D Series Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
811 Posts
Its the gear. I have no idea why aftermarket adjustable gears have the belt ride so far off the gear, but they do. Even my GE gear does it.

My last set of adjustable gears i used on my old 1990 prelude SI, I had to put some good quality steel spacer washers behind the drive hub and the gear itself to space it out and move the gear closer to the cylinder head and put the belt back on the gear fully, but haven't done so on this gear yet. As long as the steel spacers are good quality, and the fastener threads FULLY engage all the aluminum threads in thr drive hub, you will be able to reach torque without issue.

I ended up putting longer and stronger fasteners (10.9) and larger washers up front and behind the drive hub to give the fasteners the best chance at a good clamp. The washers that were behind the bolts the way they came from eBay were laughable, tightening them into the drive hub was sure to tear up the drive hub slot and ensure it would loosen up later on.

Still, even though it rides off the gear a tiny bit (at least 1-2mm), it still seems to work OK. I had the same oh shit feeling you did haha, I figured going GE wouldn't have the issues cheaper gears did, but the belt engagement issue is still a thing apparently.

My prelude gears had the belt riding off the gear almost 3/16"! That's pathetic.

Again, unless you absolutely have to go adjustable, its because of these little things surrounding the adjustable gears that make it not worth it when the stock gear is the remedy to all the problems haha.

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Ok got ya, have to space it on the back side. Toss all the Chinese hardware and make it work, lol
Thank you doc!+

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
811 Posts
Ok got ya, have to space it on the back side. Toss all the Chinese hardware and make it work, lol
Thank you doc!+
Make sure when you go to purchase spacers or good quality washers, that the drive hub still fits the gear machined recess:

Screenshot_20200717-003626_Chrome.jpg

You cant space it beyond that machined fit. That is what centers the gear around the hub, and if it falls off center, it could be disaster waiting to happen.

You should be able to comfortably space it a few mil without worrying about losing machined fit alignment. How far do you think the back of the belt is off the gear? Pics?

Again, make sure you get really good quality hardware for this, especially spacer/washer height uniformity and good steel quality. It is a critical piece to keep aligned as straight as possible, and you don't want cheap washers squishing or relaxing once they get torqued. A tiny dab of blue loctite on the bolts to compliment longevity once your satisfied with the adjustment afterwards :)

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Have a question before the bottom timing covers go on.
1.) The cam gear is set at 0 is there an advantage to moving it + or - before the belt is installed or after?
Thanks!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,544 Posts
sorry for your loss bro.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts