Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I’ve recently got the opportunity to grab a 2011 crv that was double filled with oil. Owner drove it around the block and after noticing he was smoking, he pulled back into his drive. The car ended up at my house today, I drained most of the oil, sparkplugs out and cleaned, one cylinder was so full it shot out all over when I spun it by hand. A little brake clean and once I could see each piston I deemed it good to go. My reasoning was as long as I could see a wet piston, not a puddle, then it would be good to start and the residual wetness would burn off. So it took a minute of cranking but it eventually got started and the THICKEST oil smoke filled the area. The car seemed to misfire and stall out, so I had to play with the throttle to prevent that. The smoke wouldn’t stop after about 30-45 seconds and I had to cut it off there as I don’t want the cops at my door.
Any thoughts? No CEL. Nothing else out of the ordinary so far. Might try and drive it elsewhere and see if it all burns off late at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know about CR-Vs, but...

Someone I know added oil without draining the oil pan on a CRZ. It ran okay, but we quickly dumped it all and filled it with fresh oil the moment we realized what they did.
Is a K24 oil pan that much shallow-er that it couldn't handle double the oil capacity, that it pushed through the piston rings?

There may be more than double.

Edit: I said b20, not thinking that it was a 2011. My statement stands.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about CR-Vs, but...

Someone I know added oil without draining the oil pan on a CRZ. It ran okay, but we quickly dumped it all and filled it with fresh oil the moment we realized what they did.
Is a K24 oil pan that much shallow-er that it couldn't handle double the oil capacity, that it pushed through the piston rings?

There may be more than double.

Edit: I said b20, not thinking that it was a 2011. My statement stands.
Definitely pushed through the rings or overflowed somewhere else. With plugs out on compression stroke a nice amount of oil shot out and made a huge mess. Nonetheless I feel as if I’ve cleaned everything out enough for the rest to burn out. Just the amount of smoke does not seem right to me

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
Its probably in the intake manifold, sucked in through the pcv system when the reciprocating assembly turned it to vapor thrashing it around, newer high detergent oil foams when the hell gets beat out of it by a long stroke motor that shifts at 3k minimum. It's also in the cat and going go trash it most likely, unfortunately.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,997 Posts
best D16A6 I ever got rid of came from a 91 EX Auto that was double filled. I had to be like Tom Thumb when the 6 quart oil pan got full! That motor later went on to win several SCCA national championships without ever being torn down. The owner just started it up without a cat in the exhaust so to not clog it up from the oil burning.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I feel kinda lucky to get this car. I thought it'd be a simple drain and italian tune up though
Just some boxes to check for my own satisfaction:
  • Cleaned out all 4 cyl's so pistons were nearly dry.
  • Compression good 170~180 across all 4.
  • Coolant level good.
  • Coolant pressure holds
  • Car bogs and stalls still.
  • Plugs are caked up but when I re-start the car it starts and idles fine for about 3 seconds.
Gonna pull off the IM and injectors and see if there's a pool, if not I'll be stumped. I don't even want to think about buying a replacement cat converter yet :'(

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bogging is a typical sign of a clogged cat.
Try turning it on with the ex manifold off?
Cat is definitely clogged. Oil dripping from exhaust tip. However today I pulled off the intake and got some oil out.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Vehicle

after this I started the car and it was misfiringfor about 5 minutes with minimal smoke. Then it stopped misfiring/bogging.
I let it idle for another 10 minutes again with minimal smoke and took it for a drive. As expected under load and as the exhaust heated up lots of blue and white smoke. I drove it about 2 miles with little change. However the car drives now and doesn’t seem to lack any power.
What should I do now? I was thinking take off the whole exhaust mani and flush it out with some sort of solution.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Geez, take the lazy route.

Unplug the primary O2 sensor, remove the sensor from the exhaust, and let the engine run for several minutes. If it is totally happy like this, the engine is fine and dandy.

There are several universal cats on rockauto.com that you can weld in place of your junk cat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha @ Talon
I left the header part of the exhaust mani on and let it run with the rest disconnected, engine was happy with no smoke. Bolted it back up and there was some smoke. Anyways drove the shit out of it and it seems to be clearing up. The second cat looked unclogged and dry. There are no codes so.... 'll post update if it blows up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts