Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I melted a piston earlier this year in the single cam integra, I've been all over the place with my cars/projects. But it is time I get back into a single cam build again and continue my pursuit of a 10 second single cam.

So I introduce to you one of my dream cars... a white 2000 Ex coupe. I have wanted an white Ex ek coupe for a long time and the right deal finally came up at the right time. It needs some work, but nothing I can't handle.

The ugly tail lights are already gone. I will have to get more pics of the car.

I acquired some 99-00 Si rear seats from a friend and threw them in along with a Walbro 255 fuel pump

So while I was in there messing with things, I yanked this mess out from under the dash

And we can't forget the help lol

So then the parts buying began. First thing purchased were these badass Spit Industries rear lower control arms that I got a hell of a deal on on Black Friday

And I just bought these SRP 9:1 pistons from Dave (dj justice) this evening after work to officially kick off my quest for power

Also not currently pictured, I have the car currently sitting on some Rota Slipstreams and have some Tein Superstreet coil overs waiting to go on.

As on now my planned build looks something like this...

D16z6 block
D16z6 or y8 head (haven't decided yet)
ARP head studs
SRP 9:1 pistons
Eagle rods
Valve train (yet to decide on)
Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold
Injector Nation 900cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump (may upgrade to the 450)
Tempest Racing ram horn t3/t4 manifold
Garrett 60-1 (may change at some point)
Precision 46mm wastegate
DD Tech custom grind cam (pending budget)
Custom catch can setup
And I have been doing a bit of research to possibly do a plateless d2b setup as well

I maybe be missing a few things, but the journey is officially under way now. I've missed my boosted single cam like crazy and can't wait to get this going!

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
About time!! Welcome back!

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
excited for custom DDtech grind im eager to see how that goes. good luck with build. i would suggest to opt out of precision wastegate and look into a more "modern-spec" newer turbo rather than the 60-1. and i would go with the 450 for $30-40+ to future proof build

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Nice, had SRPs in one of my previous builds, they served me well. And I've got a precision 46mm on my 2JZ build, lol! Parts list looks good. I'd definitely upgrade to a Walbro/TI E85 pump. They're so cheap and flow so much fuel you'll never have to worry about it. Also check out a Borg Warner S257SXE or any of their SXE turbos. New parts have come out in the last couple decades. :D

D2B would make this thing really rip.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About time!! Welcome back!
It was all about timing. Everything is finally falling into place to pick up where I left off!

excited for custom DDtech grind im eager to see how that goes. good luck with build. i would suggest to opt out of precision wastegate and look into a more "modern-spec" newer turbo rather than the 60-1. and i would go with the 450 for $30-40+ to future proof build
I've wanted to run a DD Tech cam since my last single cam. I can't wait to hopefully finally get one! Already have the Precision gate. It's what I ran on my last single cam and never had any issues with it. As for the 60-1, again, I already have it laying around but also why I said that could possibly change. I know it's not the best option but currently, it's free. Fuel pump, again, had a 255 laying around but I do want to upgrade to a 450. Which also reminds me, I'd like to get a much better fuel pressure regulator this time around. Ran an NR-G last time, would like to go with an Aeromotive this time.

Nice, had SRPs in one of my previous builds, they served me well. And I've got a precision 46mm on my 2JZ build, lol! Parts list looks good. I'd definitely upgrade to a Walbro/TI E85 pump. They're so cheap and flow so much fuel you'll never have to worry about it. Also check out a Borg Warner S257SXE or any of their SXE turbos. New parts have come out in the last couple decades. :D

D2B would make this thing really rip.
This is my first tango with SRP's but I've never seen anything bad about them. Walbro 450 is definitely on my list for upgrades. I will have to look into the SXE turbos. Thanks for the tip on those.

And I'm VERY strongly considering d2b. I basically have everything laying around for it already, including a gsr transmission. From my research, the only thing I don't already have is either a custom flywheel or a custom clutch disk depending on which way I would execute the setup.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Have a few thoughts for you.

1. I've never seen a sohc make good power on a sohc. Google full race pinks all out, there are others.

2. Skip the ddtech cam, the rocket level 5 is bigger then my bisi level x.

3. Having done the d2b, scott has or had my old clutch disc if I recall right he believed it was a s2k disk. My first time, I ran that disc and a D series fw and pp, then you have to offset the starter. I can't recall if I sent Scott the starter or if I still have it.

4. Cvcc is a great alternative!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a few thoughts for you.

1. I've never seen a sohc make good power on a sohc. Google full race pinks all out, there are others.

2. Skip the ddtech cam, the rocket level 5 is bigger then my bisi level x.

3. Having done the d2b, scott has or had my old clutch disc if I recall right he believed it was a s2k disk. My first time, I ran that disc and a D series fw and pp, then you have to offset the starter. I can't recall if I sent Scott the starter or if I still have it.

4. Cvcc is a great alternative!
1. I'm assuming you meant to say you've never seen a 60-1 on a sohc make power. It's one of the two turbos I have laying around, the other being a no name .50 or .57 trim ebay turbo that I used on my single cam teg the past few years

2. Other than size, is there really any other reason you say to skip the DD Tech cam? He can custom make it to any spec I want

3. From my research there is two options for clutch setup on a d2b- a) d series flywheel, d series pressure plate, d series clutch disk w/ b series center hub, and a b series starter spaced away from the housing 3/16" or b) use a b series flywheel drilled to a d series bolt pattern, b series clutch disk and pressure plate, and a b series starter. Obviously option a would be cheaper but I'm wondering if using option b would be better since the b series clutch is slightly bigger?

4. Not even sure where I'd find a cvcc trans around here. Plus I already have a gsr trans laying around along with axles, linkage, and half shaft.

5. Do they make upgraded wrist pins for SRP's?

You don't have to do anything with the starter if you're using a b series starter, that's all I've got. The twin disc I have is a b series twin disc just drilled to a d series crank.
very nice can't wait !
Thanks! I can't wait either!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Before I decided on a twin disc Steve sent me a d series clutch with a b series hub for mockup purposes. Upon some measuring and research I think the s2k disc may be close to the same spline and size. But never confirmed it. So if you know anyone with a junk s2k clutch or if someone at work does one it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish someone at work would do one, that'd be a great way to confirm it. I've been there a year now and haven't seen any S2000's come in for a clutch though. Heck we don't get many S2000's come in even for regular maintenance. I guess it's cause we are a smaller dealer kind of in the middle of nowhere.

I'm really leaning towards just calling Competition up and having them make me single cam disk with a b series hub. Would be the most cost efficient option for me at this point. I could just reuse my Competition pressure plate my last build and have my flywheel resurfaced and still be cheaper than getting a custom flywheel made

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thing is the price difference between getting the flywheel vs the clutch disk is like $200. That's $200 I could better spend somewhere else in the project. Not to mention I'd also have to buy a b series clutch kit on top of that yet. I'd love a twin disk setup like you're using, but I just don't have that kinda coin to spend right now

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
My comp stage 4 held up some 10sec passes with 23" slicks. Anything bigger like 24.5 at around 400whp and the stage 4 wills lip, so a stage 5 would be sufficient enough to support a 450whp car.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was running a stage 5 unsprung in my last setup. Never once had an issue. Just wish I could have actually gotten it on the dyno to know what it made before it blew up

·
Registered
504 Posts
Might consider a lsd motorsports dragger clutch. Have one in a customer's car and it feels awesome. It's rated at 385 tq. It's a little cheaper than a comp stage 5. Think I paid 290 for the last one I bought for a customer.

The b series is rated at 415 tq. I'm sure they can put together something for you.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing yet, I haven't had any time or money to work on my own project lately. I've been very busy building my buddy's car for him as well as now working on two flip cars to make some extra money. We are currently getting pounded with a huge snow storm so I'm stuck in the house this weekend which is really going to set me back on everything. I really wanna get some things done so I can finally get back to this project!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Might consider a lsd motorsports dragger clutch. Have one in a customer's car and it feels awesome. It's rated at 385 tq. It's a little cheaper than a comp stage 5. Think I paid 290 for the last one I bought for a customer.

The b series is rated at 415 tq. I'm sure they can put together something for you.
solid clutches... Ive had 2 of them... they definitely hold the power well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts