Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Civic Dx
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 92 civic dx with a boosted y8. I'm trying to figure out a good coil over system or just order some struts and 10k springs.

Ive owned koni yellows(eg) , tein (350z), skunk 2 (ej), and a few other odd and ends on different cars.

Being that i am purpose building this car for track and it wont see the highway much, if at all. My real debate was between going with some BC coils, or from reviews and price going with the Ksports with the 10k spring set up. Im honestly though completely ignorant on ksports and dont know anyone thats owned a set to get feedback from.

The biggest thing that ive noticed is that the piston of the Ksports are slightly larger than the bc with a lower cost. Thats is whats leading me in direction of ksports.

I also have a deal on some KW v1 BNIB for 800 which would be about the same as the k sports i would get.

ultimate goal - set up for drag launches but versatility to be able to do autox in the future.

the KW V1 and Ksports i can get for more or less 800 bones. the BC would be a little more than that.

just looking for some advice

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
490 Posts
Don't know much about those, but I've been using Godspeed Mono RS coilovers. 10k fronts 8k rears. They also have a more racecar set MonoMax coilovers. 12k front 10k rear. Been very satisfied with them!

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
i run their gravels on the rallyx wagon and they are ok. not great but not terrible. pretty much the same quality you'd get with any of the entry level coils the KWs are a much better shock imo. if it was me id grab some off the shelf bilsteins and ground controls unless you really need the adjustability.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I ran Buddy Clubs in my boosted build. As long as you order the correct springs for your application, you can dampen as you like for street to strip to track use.

I have BCRs on my DD Lexus, and they've held up great! More miles on them than the factory suspension that came on the car. LOL!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ran PIC coilovers on my 91 hatch, car handled great! Ran the car in the 1/4 mile too and worked great! Daily drove the car, it was stiff but wasn't unbearable.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
255 Posts
We've run the gravel rally spec versions on our 91 hatch for 4 seasons. At the end of this season, we had them rebuilt by Feal and added Swift springs. The rebuild was cheaper than getting new cartridges from K-Sport. The rebuild and springs made a significant difference. The damping was left as stock, but Feal used their secret race fluid and better seals to give a more controlled ride. The Swift springs are the same weight, but feel much more responsive and better articulating.

We did bend two piston rods and lose a couple of seals, but I think that was more due to several excursions into the ditch at speed and an off or two than to any weakness in design.

·
Registered
Integra DB9, Accord Type R
432 Posts
I'm really pleased with the BCs on the DB9.

The roads round here are very uneven, yet lowering the car by approx 1.5in hasn't hurt the ride. It takes a few seconds a corner to stiffen it slightly for smoother surfaces. I don't track the car, but I've no doubt more extreme adjustment would be easy, too.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
We've run the gravel rally spec versions on our 91 hatch for 4 seasons. At the end of this season, we had them rebuilt by Feal and added Swift springs. The rebuild was cheaper than getting new cartridges from K-Sport. The rebuild and springs made a significant difference. The damping was left as stock, but Feal used their secret race fluid and better seals to give a more controlled ride. The Swift springs are the same weight, but feel much more responsive and better articulating.

We did bend to piston rods and lose a couple of seals, but I think that was more due to several excursions into the ditch at speed and an off or two than to any weakness in design.
Interesting. i may have to look into that when the time comes for mine. what did that run you?

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
I'm sure rally it would be more noticeable, but with my experience Swift springs do have a finer respose. A minute difference, but at 12k it's a tad more smooth.

I have driven on the Monomax's on 2 FA5 chassis's (setup for time attack), and they can handle the job. The higher price/quality coilovers usually have increased response and durability.

At that price range though, PICs are a great choice.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
255 Posts
Interesting. i may have to look into that when the time comes for mine. what did that run you?
The rebuild was $100 a corner plus shipping. The springs were $340 for a set of 4. We run 7K in the front and 5K in the rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running ksports right now on my 90 ex sedan with 12k upfront and 10k in back with it set for the stiffest setting. I really enjoy corners with these coilovers ����

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I'm sure rally it would be more noticeable, but with my experience Swift springs do have a finer respose. A minute difference, but at 12k it's a tad more smooth.

I have driven on the Monomax's on 2 FA5 chassis's (setup for time attack), and they can handle the job. The higher price/quality coilovers usually have increased response and durability.

At that price range though, PICs are a great choice.
Another vote for PICs. I loved mine 12kf/10kr, totally manageable on the street. A bit stiff, but not awful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts