Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just replaced clutch.. Weird hissing/grinding sound when engaging??

Good afternoon,

Just finished installing an Exedy Stage II clutch assy. on my 1999 civic EX coupe. 224k miles.

New parts: Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing

Everything was lubricated correctly and installed/torqued correctly (that I know of).

When driving the car today for the first time since I finished the install this weekend, there is a weird noise, almost like a hissing/grinding sound, and it occurs ONLY as I release the clutch pedal (engagement). If I release the clutch pedal rather quickly, the sound appears quickly and then disappears. As I engage first gear (longer engagement time than most other gears) the sound lasts longer through the engagement.

No other adverse driving effects, new clutch grabs nicely, clutch pedal feels great, etc.

To be clear, there is no noise with the clutch is fully engaged, or disengaged. Only during engagement. It makes no noise when I press the pedal down, only as I release the pedal. I can feel it in the pedal as well as the sound is being generated.

Note. I did install a fidanza light-weight flywheel along with the new clutch assembly. Maybe the sound is just the new clutch engaging with the flywheel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few pics :)

Old clutch assy:

New Exedy clutch disk:

New Fidanza aluminum flywheel being installed:

New clutch assy. installation complete:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
is that paint on the flywheel? Are you sure it is a true fidanza?

Maybe the hissing sound is the paint being scorched off, if it indeed is paint.

I havent ever seen a fidanza friction surface that was green.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some more research and found this from Fidanza:

http://www.fidanza.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/NEW-GREEN-COATING-ADDS-STYLE-PROTECTION-.pdf

I guess the sound likely is in fact that coating. I researched quite a bit more and went for a long drive. throwout bearing seems fine and the sound only comes from the clutch engaging. I bet it is just that green protective coating being worn away since I have only driven the car about 50 miles or so since the install.

Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think your hearing the actual disk material making noise as it slips........I put a new comp clutch in with a lightweight flywheel and it sounds like sandpaper on metal when you slip it on initial engagement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your hearing the actual disk material making noise as it slips........I put a new comp clutch in with a lightweight flywheel and it sounds like sandpaper on metal when you slip it on initial engagement.

"sandpaper" sound is actually a much better way to describe what I am hearing. And I agree, I think it is just the clutch slip on the flywheel that I am hearing upon initial engagement. I left off the dust cover for now as well which will expose more noise than normal (was a huge pain trying to re-install it so I just left it off).

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Thanks for posting that link to the coating because my initial thought was, were you not supposed to remove that green stuff on the FW before installation? LOL!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, I got super nervous as well wondering if I should have tried to remove that green coating. Fidanza says that it's there to help protect the metal surface of the flywheel and that the green coating just burns away after some initial breaking in of the clutch. So I think I am good to go. Sounds like they just introduced the coating back in March of this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts