Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our car has been in the shop for right at a month getting the z6 head put together and installed, along with a new OBX diff and ex tranny. The mechanical work was all finished, and I called the tuner to go and get her running strong. Unfortunately the tuner didn't like the way the oil return was laid out and didn't like the way the exhaust manifold connected to the turbo (it leaks, only has 3 of 5 bolts in it...they don't fit well, what can I say). So he just did a street tune, and no dyno tune for maximum power.

Anyway, my brother & I go Friday night to pick the car up, and I drive it home, it's all good. I park the car until Saturday morning, at which point I change the oil and go out behind the house to make a test pass on the back roads. I roll into the throttle in 2nd gear and this thing pulls like a madman at 16psi, until suddenly at about 6000rpm BANG! crunch crunch. Damn it, I think to myself and pull over. Look over the car, nothing's spewing out all over the pavement which is good I suppose. I called a local wrecker to come take it to a local shop in town to assess the damage. It was a beautiful day to break down at least.

I hope it's just the clutch, and not the high dollar transmission work I just paid for.

Paying hard earned cash to get your car upgraded - Great
Breaking something in under 24 hours - Priceless

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Did that mechanic know what he was doing with putting the LSD in the tranny? Hopefully theres a warranty of workmanship at that place you had the work done!

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Supposely the diff is best broken-in with a 30 minute session of figure 8's in an empty parking lot... Think I read that about a Quaife(sp)/Kaaz diff. But you know, they're closely related.

The clutch you're just supposed to be easy on it for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local mechanic tells me that the main carrier shaft on the tranny is destroyed. My performance mechanic says he'll warranty the work. We'll see how the saga unfolds. I've got them talking to each other, hopefully all will be fine. (BTW, the diff did have over a hundred miles on it, between the tuning sessions and my drive home)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Quaife/OBX need no break-in period.

Kaaz gets the figure 8's.

Pics of internal damage......might have chipped a tooth and then all hell breaks loose!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna use the good old AAA card to tow the car from the local mechanic to the performance mechanic tomorrow. He seems just as interested to find out what happened as I do. We'll get it figured out eventually I guess.

Good new I guess...the car is making enough power to break parts. Hah!

I'll see if I can get him to take pics of the carnage.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quaife/OBX need no break-in period.

Kaaz gets the figure 8's.

Pics of internal damage......might have chipped a tooth and then all hell breaks loose!
Unfortunately I had to use my camera phone, so the detail isn't so hot, but here is the picture.

click the picture for big version

I didn't snap a picture of the other gear that got mangled, but it looked pretty similar to this ground down shit.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Trashed the FD, likely broke off a tooth and it went down hill from there.

The case is likely trashed. Only way that could be installer error is if a bolt was bouncing around in there.

Usually when I see damage like that, it's from too much clutch.

·
Registered
822 Posts
More good info from Da Bones. :TU:

·
Banned
752 Posts
Trashed the FD, likely broke off a tooth and it went down hill from there.

The case is likely trashed. Only way that could be installer error is if a bolt was bouncing around in there.

Usually when I see damage like that, it's from too much clutch.
Yeah the big gear was chipped to shit. The car has a six puck unsprung clutch in it. I doubt that it's making any more than 250-280hp right now. The new transmission that's in the car doesn't make a peep. The one that blew was howling like crazy when I took that car home from the shop. I assumed it was the new differential making the racket, because when I put an Auburn unit in my mustang it howled for a while. I guess something wasn't right with the original trans that was installed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
dammmm!!!!!!! that sux big time man.. gl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts