Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to d-series.org.
I basic upgrades done to my Civic Ex 2002.
-intake
-header
-downpipe, testpipe
-exhaust
-pulley kit
-cam gear, retarded 4 degrees
-some NKG sparkplugs, supposed to be a colder spark

I have the d17 motor in it. Just put on a Wet 50 shot along with a NOS bottle heater, a purge kit and psi gauge mounted behind my driver seat. The reason is because my subs are in my trunk. Thinking of replacing my 3 12' subs for a single 12' sub to get rid of the extra weight. I have read the Nitrous Warning forum but I'm still a little iffy. When I get my Tax return I am planning on getting a stage 2 clutch and a light weight flywheel. I was thinking of going with Exedy or something along that line. I found a camshaft for my engine but the price is kindof steep though from dezod.com.
Anyone have any tips for me? Any would be appreciated. Should have some pics of my ride pretty soon.

Thankyou,

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
As far as the clutch goes, I do have some advice. Check my build thread (in the sig) for the cluch and flywheel I just installed. There is also a link in there to where I got the clutch setup and pics too. Also do a search on "Gripforce" in this forum, to catch all the results. That setup should have plenty of holding power for what you'll be playing with. I'm prepping for an 8psi daily driver and this clutch will hold that without any problem.

Paul's cam prices at dezod.com are spot on, if not a little cheaper, than anything you'll find out there. But as much as I hate to say it, boost is the only way that us 7th gen guys can make decent power. You've hit the standard bolt-ons already, now its probably time to get serious about investing some cash into a turbo setup or playing with the suspension.

Our major stumbling point is engine management. We can't reflash our ECUs, use Hondata, Uber, or Crome like these other guys can. Its either got to be a piggyback EMS or a standalone unit to accurately control a modified D17. Not that big of deal, but it can be pricey. Hope that helps.

Honestly, I would reinstall the cat. Just pin its ears down, and thread the leash into the tailpipe first. A little gear lube helps too.

Seriously though, our catalytic convertors don't impede the exhaust flow at an measurable rate. I'm no tree-huggin, dirt-munchin' druid, but you're not gaining any performance there and it just asking for trouble IMO.

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
Spray it!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Honestly, I would reinstall the cat. Just pin its ears down, and thread the leash into the tailpipe first. A little gear lube helps too.

Seriously though, our catalytic convertors don't impede the exhaust flow at an measurable rate. I'm no tree-huggin, dirt-munchin' druid, but you're not gaining any performance there and it just asking for trouble IMO.
:werd:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Our major stumbling point is engine management. We can't reflash our ECUs, use Hondata, Uber, or Crome like these other guys can. Its either got to be a piggyback EMS or a standalone unit to accurately control a modified D17. Not that big of deal, but it can be pricey. Hope that helps.
couldn't you just get a wiring hardness and convert to OBD1 so you can run a different ECU?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yeah you cant really tune good with that car. In order to tune a cam you need an ems because the vafc cant handle it. It really sucks. Anyhow spray that SOB!!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
NOS is like a hot chick with STD's.. You wanna hit it but you are afraid of the consequences!

Reactions: singlecizam
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.