Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a mini me swap on my bros 92 dx. Runs way better than before. I was wondering what I can do next to make more power. I plan to leave this car NA.
Heres the current set up:
db7 block
Vtec head off an EX civic
P28 ecu and distributor off an SI
CAI
I was thinking of getting an ebay header and resonator to let it breath with a magnaflow muffler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ed
BTW timing is at 16 deg
No cam gear yet

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
Get an ebay header and exhaust. Then look at cams and tuning.

·
JDM Justin
95 del Sol
812 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
Lol. I meant to spell it plural as in more than 1 cam option. :hammer:

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Don't just get a muffler, get a complete magnaflow catback if your going to do the exhaust. I've yet to do exhaust on my car, lol.I had a cam with no bolt on I/H/E.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the Magnaflow laying around so I figure I would put it to use. Any suggestions on what cam to use on a mini me?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
822 Posts
A stage 2 cam would be good for streets but only use a higher lift cam if you plan on getting it tuned.

If you're going to put that Magnaflow on, I suggest getting 2 1/4" piping to go with it.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
The powerband is when vtec kicks in...........

I had a cam w/ no other mods and it ripped from 3k to redline.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah basically when v-tech kicks in it will break both the tires loose but it definately helps in the lower rpms too. no mods to put it in. The package that my cam came in said it guaranteed 12 hp. more hp with more mods and tuning. i also have v-tech set to engage at 3600 rpms basically from 3600 to redline.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
vtec at 3600 is worthless.. your losing more power and tq than you are gaining..... you should probably not go below 4500 honestly....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yeah basically when v-tech kicks in it will break both the tires loose but it definately helps in the lower rpms too. no mods to put it in. The package that my cam came in said it guaranteed 12 hp. more hp with more mods and tuning. i also have v-tech set to engage at 3600 rpms basically from 3600 to redline.
damn, your phone make you lose traction?;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
vtec at 3600 is worthless.. your losing more power and tq than you are gaining..... you should probably not go below 4500 honestly....

why is that, cause like i said when v-tec kicks in it breaks both tires loose. if i raised the point when it engages its going to make it break loose at the higher rpms also. i know im not the smartest guy on here by far but also the reason i have it set low is cause when im racing i would rather keep the v-tec engaged instead of having it fall out then go back in. also when im driving in town i keep the rpms down enough to keep it out of v-tec too so i dont think its hurting anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are racing - you ain't gonna get below 3600 anyway. If you do - then guess what? - you ain't racing....

I would have to disagree with whoever said get it tuned with a higher lift cam. Hondas are like the 86-88 mustangs. They are speed density. Speed density (MAP sensor) only needs tuning really after vacuum changes. Lift does not change vacuum. Duration is what changes vacuum and requires a tune. You can add heads, intake exhaust, etc. as long as you do not change duration in the cam.

Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm definately going to cam it after I do the header and cat replacement pipe. Where do you guys get your cams from?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys after a bit of searching the info I got is that my cam timing is off by half a tooth. How detrimental is that to the cars performance? Am I losing power w/out the a y8 adjustable cam gear?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
the cam gears are the same for all years as far as i know, correct me if im wrong. you will lose power and prolly run crappy if you are a tooth off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts