Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I don't post here often because I usually don't have problems with my Honda and I am too broke to put money into it. But now I have purchased a new (to me anyways) 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback. The car shifts great, runs great, minimal rust and I got it for a very cheap price from a guy I know.

Today, I tried the key to lock it and realized the key doesn't work with any of the locks. The previous owner never locked it and only got the one key when he bought it. I know him pretty well so i can trust that he isnt lying. I called some locksmiths and their prices are half of what I paid for the car.

I own a 1987 Honda CRX that recently died with one key that works for all the locks and I have a friend who owns a last gen prelude that's been a parts car for a year now who's key works for all the locks.

I am aware I can take the cylinder out of most of these locks and replace them into my doors and hatch. But I would like to have just ONE key. :p

Is it possible to replace the ignition cylinder with one of the above-mentioned vehicles so that I can replace all of the locks over onto the 1991 civic?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Has he had the ignition changed? Start looking on ebay for a key set that has the ignition and doorlocks. Most have both factory keys also.

Was the locksmith going to re-key them to all be the same?

I dont know if the 87 would fit the 91 as they have different body styles. Try looking up the part numbers for the cars and see if its the same.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Might the door locks just be seized? Try spraying some WD40 into the key holes and let it soak for a couple of hours. Then stick the key into the lock and work it back and forth to see if it eventually loosens.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
This, its only like $5

If the VIN cut key doesn't work the doors rekeying isn't that hard
it was $1.70 at my local honda.

it would have cost more to get a garbage blank cut at the local hardware store!

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Just re key the locks your self it's super easy all the pins inside the lock are numbered you just put them in one at a time until you figure out the combo that works for your key. Most likely what happened is the ignition was replaced and they had 2 keys for the car and the door key got lost along the way

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
Graphite lube.
this wd40 gets dirt attached. dry lube works well also
In my opinion, this^ is the way to go under normal maintenance conditions of key lock cylinders. The reason I suggest WD40, or PB Blaster mentioned by xile6, is that in this apparent severe case of long seized locks, the more powerful action of penetrating oil may be required.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
My local locksmith re-keyed my car with a transponder key for $60. Pay up and enjoy

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
it was $1.70 at my local honda.

it would have cost more to get a garbage blank cut at the local hardware store!
I tell everyone this when I see they have a non stock key.

My local locksmith re-keyed my car with a transponder key for $60. Pay up and enjoy
Transponder keys are $25 at the dealer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So many better ways about doing this. I'll try the dealer. I'm up in Canada, I hope the prices aren't too expensive up here.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll see if I can form all the tips here into a guide so that if anyone has troubles with locks and ignitions its easy for them to figure out and hopefully solve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts