Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 93 hatch with a mini me already in it... its a d16a block with i think a z6 head on it and a p28 ecu. currently it runs and drives but has a high idle, lopes when at temperature, and sometimes will not hot start. i believe the hot start issue to be a coolant temp sensor. the vacuum lines are a little janky in the way they are done so i plan to redo those but if this sounds like something you guys have run into before i would love additional guidance. thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
IACV is your lope issue, like bouncing revs from 750ish-1.2k or 1.4k rpms....

Hot crank issue I am not sure there is not enough info to support what you are trying to explain. Like how does it not start ?

Take the IACV off the intake manifold and clean it, if unsuccesful cleaning it then replace it. Also try adjusting your idle screw that was the issue with mine loping.

·
Registered
801 Posts
had the lope when I originally did the mini me on my sedan. Like mentioned above, pull the iacv off and squirt it out with carb cleaner until the black gunk is gone. With the fitv pull it and clean it as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok i know what/where it iacv is... what the hell is a fitv? the hot crank issue is that for some reason it just did this this evening that when the vehicle was warmed up it would crank but not start. i pulled a plug to see if it had spark and by the time i grabbed a ratchet at extension i pulled the plug out hooked it to the wire held it to the valve cover to see if i had spark and it fired right up minus a cylinder. so i am thinkin the coolant temp sersor is going out of range when its hot. any ideas on the high idle... i will give the iac a try and also the idle screw...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
might be a bubble in the coolant...

anywho... to answer your latest questions..

1) FITV is the strange little thing hanging from the bottom of your throttle body.
2) IACV is near the throttle body on the back side (fire wall side) of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool... i will deffinitely give those a whirl today... just an offhand question. what exactly does FITV stand for? i know that the IACV is an idle air control valve. is a fitv like an early version of a TPS? again i appreciate the help and hopefully this will help in addition to the vacuum lines i fixed.

·
sprinkle fingers
435 Posts
ok cool... i will deffinitely give those a whirl today... just an offhand question. what exactly does FITV stand for? i know that the IACV is an idle air control valve. is a fitv like an early version of a TPS? again i appreciate the help and hopefully this will help in addition to the vacuum lines i fixed.
FITV= Fast Idle Thermo Valve

It controls your idle on cold starts and when coolent temps reach desire temp it drops idle down to warm temp idle. I do not believe its a early form of a TPS sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha that makes sense... i just didnt know what FITV stood for thats why i asked if it was a early TPS or something. but it does have high idle problems like it doesnt want to drop down as it warms up. so i will deffinitely clean that out and if that doesnt fix it i'll try adjusting the idle screw and checking the ignition timing. i really didnt want to buy someone elses problem but this guys problems were such a good deal!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so today i was trying to fix my unsteady/high idle situation and i found out something interesting about my new honda... the FITV had an air pocket in it and there was a vacuum leak at the TB gasket... replaced the gasket and burped the cooling system... the idle came down and all was going great... for 15 minutes... it came back. burped it again... ran great for 15 minutes and it came back... come to find out that the headgasket is blown and the exhaust gas is ending up in the FITV... crap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts