Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... So after accumulating parts from one source and then another I have finally begun my 76mm Vitara build... Dropped the block off this monday at the machine shop to get bored for the vitara pistons and picked it up Friday... Asked for a .0035 PTW and got .0037 on cylinders 1,3 and 4 and .0036 on cylinder 2... A little loose but not bad...

Next I received my King Bearings in this past wednesday (std size) and my crank shaft I got from a member on here came in also... So yesterday I spent cleaning everything thoroughly and assembling my pistons and rods and setting ring gaps... .0017 top ring, .0019 second ring and .0021 for the oil rings...

Tonight I assebled the lower end and plastiguaged everything to check for clearances... Mains and rods are all CLOSE to service limits .0018 to .0019 for all... Service limit is what? .002? so I am close but not over :)

The only problem I am having at the moment is getting my rods torqued to 43ftlbs because I thought the bolts were 10mm ARPs turns out they are slightly smaller then the 12 point 10mm I have so maybe they are 9mm... so it seems I will have to wait until later tomorrow to torque them down properly (my 10mm worked fine the first time but cracked trying to torque them the second time). :pinch:

I will have to post some pics soon... Although I am sure it will look like the 14,756,395,874,857 other build pics posted on here... LOL

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep you are right! 3/8 12 point FTW!!... I guess I am just so used to everything being metric on the Honda's that 3/8 never came to mind... Picked it up today and re-torqued the rod bolts to 43ft lbs... ON WITH THE BUILD!!! My oil pump just came in today... Yes its used but I was told that it is in good shape by CRXmotorsports... I will trust him to know what he is talking about... Gonna clean it up a bit before I install it and replace the seal just for piece of mind...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
remember to stretch those rod bolts. torque them to 43ft lbs, loosen and repeat for a total of 3 times. this is if they are new. the service limit is .002 you are correct, hopefully your plastigage was accurate and you are not over the limit.

goodluck with the build, and post them pics!

-Luke

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rods were used but I torqued them twice anyway... Got to get my Gf's camera and get some pics up... I will focus on this tonight... The things stopping my progress now are BOLTS... The guy I got the engine from gave it to me in pieces already disassembled and didnt bring ANY Bolts (except the girdle and Rods) so I have to hunt down and order the nuts and bolts for the oil pump and pick up tube, water pump, oil pan and rear main seal... I should be good for everything else since the D16Z6 in my Del Sol is in good running condition... I will just pull all the stuff off of it and install it on this fresh engine...

I already have the ARP Head Studs and Gaskets for everything... Using Utra Grey for the Sealant and spray on copper gasket material for the MLS head gasket and Moly assembly lube for all the bearings and thrust washers... Head is already rebuilt so Im good to go there too... Still need a dang valve cover though... Maybe i can get one at the Pic and Pull here in Little Rock... I know I can use the one in my car now but I really dont like to leave an engine open if I can help it...

Pics to come tonight!

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill get it done as soon as I can get all the nuts and bolts to put the rear main seal, water pump, oil pump and the pickup tube and the oil pan on... Sucks having to build it in the sink.. Lmao... But Im still gettin it done!

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got most of the nuts and bolts...

Ok so I stopped by a local tuner shop here in Arkansas... Polk Performance... Great guys (R.I.P. Don Polk) Dave, Don's brother, found several of the nuts and bolts for me and had a sample of them ready... I took them to Lowes and grabbed the hardware I needed and headed to the house...

So, ON WITH THE BUILD!!!

After getting home and taking care of some household duties I started in on assembling the rest of my engine... Grabbed the oil pump from CRXmotorsports, the oil pick up tube and the new water pump and rear main seal and the oil pan and went to work!

Cleaned everything THOUROUGHLY and applied some fresh engine oil to the rod/crank assembly just to make sure it is still lubed up (Yes I put Moly assembly lube on all bearing surfaces)... no such thing as too much lube! but that is a different story ;)

Anyway, I got everything all buttoned up and sealed up (using Ultra gray) on the lower end and OUT OF THE SINK and on to an engine stand that a friend let me borrow... Tomorrow shall bring pics and the cylinder head install with ARP head studs and the MLS head gasket... First think I gotta do though is to clean the head and valve train just a bit and apply some more fresh engine oil to it before I put on a valve cover (if I can ever find another one)... I wont torque this down until I get a valve cover to go on it because I dont want to risk any debris contamination after I clean it so...

After work tomorrow I am going to another scrap yard to see if I can find a valve cover that is in decent shape and that doesn't cost too much... Either way I will post up some more pics tomorrow night...

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The machine shop just bored and honed the cylinders, cleaned up the block, checked it and my head to make sure everything was square and flat and set my ring gaps since I dont have the tooling here to do them myself (basic hand tools is all I have)... Not bad for $120...
Sorry for no pics tonight... But i did bolt on the head and went back and re-checked all my torqued bolts before finally sealing up the oil pan... I also got the last two bolts for my oil pump and put those in as well...

On the way home from work I went looking around the boneyards trying to find another valve cover but had no luck... So my build is done for a bit... Besides that I will have to wait until I get more $$$ up for the rest of the parts...

Being a single father raising a son from 18 months old to now (13yrs old) is a challenge all to itself and an expensive one at that! LOL School starts for him next week so my extra $$$ went on getting him new threads and school supplies...

I thought my hobbies were expensive until my son came along!... He's worth every penny though!

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I vote this for your avatar pic! lol

Nice work on teh build. Persistence wins the day!!!

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Khnemu is correct... The engine had already been bored .20 over and was egg shaped and had a huge ridge in it so, I had no choice but to go to the .40 76mm bore... HP goals are still fairly mild... 300-350whp range... I am trying to do all the supporting mods for my second build though (current D16Z6 in the car) for more hp so I will be getting larger than necessary (for 300-350whp) exhaust, turbo (Turbonetics 57trim), intercooler (9x3.5x24 precision) and piping, injectors (650cc) and a CC stage 4 clutch...

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CEL issue and HOTTTT Exhaust!!!

Ok so I finally got the time and money to install my rebuilt Vitara build in my del-sol and now it is throwing a cel and after a quick drive around the block the Exhaust is HOTTTTT all the way back to the tip...

I know I need to pull the CEL code and see what it says but what about the Exhaust being so hot?... Too lean of mixture since it is running N/A and lower compression? could it be the FPR going bad or not building enough fuel pressure? I did install my xenocron 255lhr fuel pump just before the swap... could this be pushing past the FPR?

Need some suggestions. Any Ideas are appreciated...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts