Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I've been building N/A Ds for about 5 years and now I am going to switch to a FI setup. I am planning on something small like a T3 at 8-10 psi. (like .75 bar for some of you out there) However, I unfortunately understand very little about turbos. I've read several sites FI sections and been to places like Homemadeturbo.com and read all about Johnnyracecar.com and things like that.

So here's my REAL question.... Is there any good sites that you guys can recommend that explains each unit of the turbo (IE the IC, bov, difference between Garret and kkk turbo manufactures, things like that...) I've googled and gotten page after page of generally vague crap and all of the GOOD sites assume prior knowledge to a slight degree. I have someone helping me with this build who has 2 turbo cars (One home built) but he claims he can't really explain.

Sorry in advance for my NEWBAGE. I promise I am stll researching while waiting for help.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
there isn't much/anything to know about IC's and BOV's; any bov will work (even eBay ones have been proven to be fine for HMT kits) and for only 8-10psi, and FMIC will be adequate (just don't get one that is too huge).

If you just want a small t3; buy one of eBay. There is really no point in paying for a NEW garrett/kkk/etc turbo of that size (a nice t3/t4 is a differnet story...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have maximum boost in my roommate's room, just haven't gotten to that. He said that he'll explain the book. Being that it is my car and I have to do the work, I'd like to know what I am getting into but he has already built a Scion tC turbo and it runs strong at about 260whp. I trust him, but still want to know more.

I'll read the turbo faq sheet tonight when I get home from work, I've been EXTREMELY busy these past few days so I have to make time to do it. Cars being a passion, sleep isn't important. About Homemadeturbo.com.... read the entire projects list. ALL of it. I understand a little bit more but that's mostly people explaining HOW they did it, and not WHY they did it. I understand the how. Just not the why. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. Thanks for the how-stuff-works link.... I didn't even think to check that out. ^_^

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps I am misphrasing. In example... "The BOV is a DSM BOV from a turbocharged Talon. You can see that the weld's were a little messy, but they will work nontheless :)" (Homemadeturbo.com)

They are explaining HOW they are doing what they do. But not explaining the advantages or WHY they are doing it. I clearly understand they purpose of a turbo kit on a car. If I didn't, I would just N/A tune a car again. I've done that one twice already. I also clearly understand the "Turbo over supercharger" argument. Turbo = +power at -cost over the supercharger.

Anywho... off to reading the faq sheets. Thanks again for the How stuff works comment, miro_gt. I forgot about that place. I understand everything I wanted to originally understand. now comes the understanding of using an HF mani of custom or things like that. Why A over B. I'll get it. I guess I just laugh because my roommate will re-explain this to me when we DO it in like 30 minutes and I'll understand it 10x better because I can place rhyme to the reason.

for now i'll just get :0wnage: like the noob I am to this subject

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Perhaps I am misphrasing. In example... "The BOV is a DSM BOV from a turbocharged Talon. You can see that the weld's were a little messy, but they will work nontheless :)" (Homemadeturbo.com)

They are explaining HOW they are doing what they do. But not explaining the advantages or WHY they are doing it. I clearly understand they purpose of a turbo kit on a car. If I didn't, I would just N/A tune a car again. I've done that one twice already. I also clearly understand the "Turbo over supercharger" argument. Turbo = +power at -cost over the supercharger.

Anywho... off to reading the faq sheets. Thanks again for the How stuff works comment, miro_gt. I forgot about that place. I understand everything I wanted to originally understand. now comes the understanding of using an HF mani of custom or things like that. Why A over B. I'll get it. I guess I just laugh because my roommate will re-explain this to me when we DO it in like 30 minutes and I'll understand it 10x better because I can place rhyme to the reason.

for now i'll just get :0wnage: like the noob I am to this subject
its definitely respectable that you want to know not only how the shit works, but why certain shit is used over other shit... too many noobs around here ask shit like "what is the easiest way to 300 hp" or "how much hp can i get out of this setup"... and the answer is always "read the faq noob" so it gets kinda repetitive...

now on to my input... best question to answer pertaining to this forum is "why are we all so into homemade turbo kits?" and my answer is: "why spend 3000 on a turbo setup from a retailer when you can put together your own kit for half (if not less) the price and possibly get more hp out of it?" plus, we get to play around with different variations of parts to try to achieve different results... (more hp, low end/high end hp/tq, cost effective, looks, sounds, etc). the biggest reason for my turbo setup is for the fun, and for the learning experience...

i know thats not the question/answer you were looking for but i felt like saying it lol

sorry, i tend to talk a lot on this cough syrup

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts

the advantages of using a dsm bov are as follows:

cheap
effective
proven to work because its on a stock turbo car

the idea behind a 'home made kit' is for it to be effective, somewhat reliable (to an extent) and be cheap. the apparent carelessness in the HMT quote above is simply because the guys on that forum have the mentality of "i spent 400 dollars on everything i see in front of me, so lets make it work one way or another.." you will definitely see some 'hmt' kits a lot more 'ghetto' than some of the other ones. it's all a matter of personal preference.

there are advantages and disadvantages to everything, and some things are better than others.. the only real way to find out whats best for what is to either a) try it out first hand or b) research.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its definitely respectable that you want to know not only how the shit works, but why certain shit is used over other shit... too many noobs around here ask shit like "what is the easiest way to 300 hp" or "how much hp can i get out of this setup"... and the answer is always "read the faq noob" so it gets kinda repetitive...

now on to my input... best question to answer pertaining to this forum is "why are we all so into homemade turbo kits?" and my answer is: "why spend 3000 on a turbo setup from a retailer when you can put together your own kit for half (if not less) the price and possibly get more hp out of it?" plus, we get to play around with different variations of parts to try to achieve different results... (more hp, low end/high end hp/tq, cost effective, looks, sounds, etc). the biggest reason for my turbo setup is for the fun, and for the learning experience...

i know thats not the question/answer you were looking for but i felt like saying it lol

sorry, i tend to talk a lot on this cough syrup
I understand... I am only "New" here. I've been reading for about 5 years in different topic areas and such. I just don't have the logic to ask the RIGHT questions.

Since my last post, I have read so much crap about all sorts of setups and started reading both the books that were mentioned. I read all of how-stuff-works involving cars and I wish I would have had that years ago when I started working on cars. It helps. So here's the run down of what it is...

I will be running 8-10 boost, though not more, on a DD car that has to pass smog in CA without the turbo kit on it. HMT helps with ideas and made me decide that a t3 turbo would be worse suited to me than a 14b. my roommate drives a 1990 1g Talon TSI so I will more than likely help him upgrade his turbo and injectors and steal the 14b and 330cc injectors. thus helping us BOTH out and making my cost cheaper. (two cars for the cost of one) We have an extra tial BOV lying around so I will test that and see if it works, and I also have an HF mani that i got for free. I just need a connecting Flange to fit it with the kit. They sell them on ebay for $50 after shipping, though I might fab one. I am debating running UBERDATA and my crower stage 1 cam, but I am fearful of my CA smog regulations once the turbo is off the car, and I am thinking about running a BlOX fmu because it was free and just lying around the house, though I may still get a stand alone. I am still debating the mani...I may use a cast Iron one because I don't mind the extra 51.3 lbs(I weighed one) or just buy a Mani. when I purchase a down / flex pipe. As for the turbo charge piping and shit, I think JC whittney will become my personal best friend and I will just use some engine paint to coat it with. For exhaust, I am debating between something like an OBX or MONZA catback kit because they run 2.5" and I've had a monza. For $150 shipped it did the job fine and gave a clean dark tone.

Going faster means I need to stop too. I have been moving my research efforts into that department, but I can't seem to find what civic brakes transfer over. I want 4 wheel disc, and I know off head that the 92-95 civic / 93-97 Del Sol / 94-00 Integs are interchangable. I did a conversion to my 93 slo. I still have the brake booster and master cylinder, but I need a prop. valve and ?the entire rear trailing arms? off another car. that's how the del sol was done anyway... so help there would be nice.

Already on the car, I have AGX adjustable Shocks linked up with Tein stechs running on a 14" generic rim with potenza g009s on them. I am running a stiff eibach rear sway, complete set of tie and strut bars, but NO FRONT SWAY. For my personal experience with auto-x, I've found that the front lean allows the tires to bite the pavement at a faster speed once the tires are a little warmed up.

Sorry to ramble this much... I don't really get time to play or talk about my play because I work 40 hours a week plus go to college full time. Being 21 makes a LOT of things hard on me. For as much as I may know, I'm still "Just a kid" to people.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
well, it looks like you know what you are going to do, and it sounds pretty good, except i wouldnt keep the fmu on there for very long... go to pgmfi.org and read up about chipping you own ecu and running crome or uberdata... xenocron.com sells chipping kits for like 25 bucks... they are the best way for engine management...

good luck and post pix when ur done :TU:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if I chip the ECU (Which I currently have uber data and my roommate knows how to chip my p28....fucking engineers) will that prevent me from smoging in CA?? Dealing with the Referees was a pain in my @$$

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
....fucking engineers
without us you'd be fucked though

if I chip the ECU ... will that prevent me from smoging in CA?? Dealing with the Referees was a pain in my @$$
ive never lived in CA but from what ive heard is that it is possible, but you would have to have a very good tune... im pretty sure you'd be better off getting emissions while the wastegate is running fully open therefore the car would not go into boost.

ive also heard that you can get fucked if you even get pulled over with a turbo on your car in CA... i dont know what the rules are but ive heard of people getting tickets if the exhaust system isnt "stock" or DOT approved or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it has to be DOT approved, ya. But you can't really get "Fucked". CA made a LOT of goofy laws that get you out off all sorts of tickets if you just know about them. I got caught awhile back doing 90 in a 40mph zone and got out of it because I proved the road was a speed trap. I assume I can get off the turbo hook too. my roommate already has. The turbo will be removed when I smog the car. The car will be returned to "Stock" for the purpose of smog legistics and then reinstalled for the next 2 years. (I have to smog in nov.) I may even just wait to turbo until after smog.

without us you'd be fucked though
haha, YEA I'd be. I live in a house that's full of them. you simply see the world in blue prints and schematics. haha no offence, but you're all assholes because I'm jealous. haha

CA is a funny funny state. I may end up in Phoenix here soon too.... I still have to look up all that smog crap while I am thinking about it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts