Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just that, I want, let's say, a 12 volt lamp to turn on ONLY when the engine is ON. I'm still looking for it!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, if I do that the lamp will light on even when the key is on acc. I want it to turn on ONLY when the engine is on, not when I put the key in acc.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
why would he want to do that, He stated he only wants the bulb on when the engine is "ON"

Even my idea wouldn't be 100% effective. Oil pressure idiot light would be. Simple relay setup would be needed. You could also tap into the alternator charging circuit.

·
Registered
1990 Si Hatch
518 Posts
How about fused off the ignition wire? I seem to recall in remote starts you'll get around 12 volts at crank and then up to 14 or so at run... I'm really interested in knowing how you'd do this... for future reference...

Only problem is you'd have to get to your ignition harness under your steering wheel... not really that hard to do if you know what you are doing... and if you have the right tools... Good wire strippers, a nice thick pick and some good electrical tape. Zip ties rock...

What kind of vehicle do you have? The schematics aren't too hard to find...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
can't use the ignition harness.

It will be "hot" in the on position no matter if the engine is runnign or not.

Oil pressure switch is is for now, NC relay. When low pressure would complete the circuit (dash idiot light on) the 12v bulb would be off. Simple inverse circuit of the oil pressure idiot light.

·
Registered
1990 Si Hatch
518 Posts
can't use the ignition harness.

It will be "hot" in the on position no matter if the engine is runnign or not.
The main wires used during remote starter installation are Constant, Accessory, Starter, and Ignition. Constant displays 12 volts no matter what. Car off key in pocket. That is the only wire that is constantly hot. Accessory, as i'm sure you know, will give 12 volts in the on, during crank, and in the run position. Starter will give you voltage during crank only. Now the ignition wire...

The ignition wire will only give you voltage at crank and run. There's no point for it to give voltage any other time. Not in accessory and not constantly.

"... Ignition wire
This wire supplies power to the vehicle's ignition system and fuel pump, it shows between 10 and 14 volts with the key in the RUN and CRANK positions of the key switch. Some vehicles have more than one ignition wire; all ignition wires should be connected when installing a remote starter. Use relays for connecting additional ignition wires."

·
Registered
1988 Civic Hatch
652 Posts
there is power at the ignition wire wether or not the engine is running. say you turn your key to the "on" position. there is power at the ignition wire, even though you didnt start the engine

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
The only real way to do this is using a relay off the oil pressure sending unit, any thing else the bulb could be fooled to be on when the motor stalled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking to get it from the alternator, I know there's a pin on the ECU (I think pin A16) that gets something from the alternator but I'm not sure if I can use it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about the cooling fans?? they are on after the engine is off, right???

Coming back to the alternator: the output of it is much higher than 12v. In fact, how much it gives? and how variable is it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts