Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found d15b in the junk yard, and I'm gonna put it in my car. but i had a friend check it out.
he said it might have stage 4 vtec how do i check this if its possible?

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
d15b stamped on the block can mean several types of engines, and over 20 years of production.

are the spark plugs at the front of the engine or the rear? front is nonvtec for sure, rear can be nonvtec if its a d16y7 style head.

check for vtec solenoids.

and ask your friend what the heck stage 4 vtec is. Not even honda knows that one.

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
75 Posts
Calling it [x] stage VTEC is confusing. Like everyone else said, there's multiple versions of the D15B. They're all single-cam 1.5 liter D-series engines. There's a non-VTEC that's pretty much the D15B2 / D15B7 block. There's VTEC and VTEC-E versions, and there's a dual-VTEC version that combines regular and E. Call the weird one dual-VTEC.

Google what a VTEC solenoid looks like - specifically the metal can (the actual solenoid itself). Standing in front of the car looking at the engine, it should be on the left rear of the cylinder head. If there's no solenoid, it's non-VTEC. If there's one solenoid, it's VTEC or VTEC-E. If there's two solenoids it's dual-VTEC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts