Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i picked up this beauty today. It would be my 5th or 6th car in less than 5 months, although I've sold all of them except the turbo single cam that's still sitting in the garage. I've been eyeing for an E46 M3 for a while now, but they're all out of my price range, not to mention the cost of maintenance to keep them running on the road. I was so close into putting a big down payment and finance the rest, but good thing somebody bought it off the lot before i even got to the dealership as I'd have been paying high interest base on the credit score. I have tried meeting and test drove a couple E36 M3 but they just feel outdated and to old for me, not to mention the dumbasses BMW owners that are shady when selling their cars. And so I've decided to buy an S2000 for my birthday, and it was really as simple as that :bandito:

2001 Honda S2000 Ap1 with 92k Formula Red with fresh paint job.

I drove for almost 2 hours to check it, and drove home with it thru traffic without issues. The car catches a lot of attention on the expressway, and gets you a nice smile from the chick driving in the other lane. But maybe because it's red? Or maybe because it's loud? Or maybe it's because it's a S2000? Who knows...

PROS: The car drives straight and shifts smooth with plenty of power and absolutely great powerband. The S2k factory 6 speed trans have lsd and the shifting travels are stupid short, like shorter than dsm and my eg combined. I'd say there's less than an inch travel on the shifter, which could get confusing if you're driving the car for the first time. I'd have to double check with the final drive as it feels like the gears are even shorter than the K-series 6-speed trans. $1200 authentic mugen headers that came with the buy. As far as driveability, the car hugs the corner like nobody's business, where you can actually feel the road when driving and will find yourself more focused on the steering more than your cellphone. The clutch is a competition stage 2 which could be a bit hard to get used to first, or maybe just needs an adjusment underneath by the pedal. I do believe that S2000 is a real driver car, road course approved!

CONS: The engine bay could use a little cleaning, the convertible top has a rip, the driver side seat has a rip, the power mirror isn't working, the driver side front blinker bulb is out. The front lower bumper has paint chips, and the ABS light is on. I also found out that the vtec solenoid is leaking as well as the valve cover gasket. The previous owner did a muffler delete and is currently on straight pipe which is annoying as shit. The reverse can be a little tricky at times :TD:

Plans for the car? I really don't know as of right now, I do want to get at least a lowering springs and a set of nice Rota Grids 18x9" bronze wheels to give it that bling factor, yet still fully functional. I do enjoy driving it and would more than likely be my daily driver until fall or so. I thought about adding a turbo kit and crank it to 400hp on pump, but that's just an idea for now. I will update as i work on the car so that's all there is for now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm very envious. I've wanted a S2K for the longest time, and just reading this intro to ownership furthers that want. Enjoy the drive.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Nice. I've owned an AP1 and an AP2 and they were both amazing.

Why is there so much of a gap between the bumper and fenders/hood?

A lot of people use the robbins replacement tops and ditch the AP1 plastic rear window for a non-defrosted glass rear. The glass rear window is much smaller though.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice. I've owned an AP1 and an AP2 and they were both amazing.

Why is there so much of a gap between the bumper and fenders/hood?

A lot of people use the robbins replacement tops and ditch the AP1 plastic rear window for a non-defrosted glass rear. The glass rear window is much smaller though.
I'm not sure what the previous owner hit, but the bumper is being held by a zip tie so it is sagging. :) I have a feeling the clips are broken so I'll have to drill another hole on both fender and bumper so I can run a bolt/nut and secure it properly. This car was in a minor front end accident and deployed the air bag so I bought it as a rebuilt title. I paid half in what most would normally pay.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
looks like you could probably loosen the hood catch and lower the engagement point... looks really good with the AP2 front bumper too!

my S2000 doesn't like going into reverse when it's super cold out either, so maybe it's just a temp thing?

·
3,983 Posts
you should just get a hardtop for it anyway, they're supposed to be a lot quieter than the loud-as-fuck uninsulated softtop

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I want a damaged titled s2000 so I wont feel bad making it into a smasher instead of keeping it all quiet and pretty. I love longitudinal engine rwd cars, and as I age I am reminded of how many I haven't owned.

Edit: I agree with shoebox, get a hard top, don't wanna put down rag tops, hehe. Seen a few come through at cars and coffee, they are tits, what I would save up for first if I got serious about a purchase.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Hard tops are typically in the $3500-4000 range and shipping is a pain in the ass. I always wanted one but could never justify spending that money

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations! I had a yellow ap2 and loved every second of it, I'm sure you will too.

Boost isn't a bad idea either. Arp head studs alone and that motor will take 600 whp!

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the club!
Hell yeah!! You can now call me your Evil Twin :devil:

looks like you could probably loosen the hood catch and lower the engagement point... looks really good with the AP2 front bumper too!

my S2000 doesn't like going into reverse when it's super cold out either, so maybe it's just a temp thing?
It is in the negatives here but I'll definitely check the hood latch trick. Thanks! As far as getting it into reverse, I've read that this can be common if the clutch fluid is low, or if it needs to be bled or if the fluid is old and dirty. Another trick that i just found out is to pressed the clutch while in standstill then shift it to 3rd, then back to neutral before shifting to reverse. Worked like a charm! This helps align the gears which will also allow you to shift to 1st a bit easier. One last thing, is to try and put some fresh honda mtf and see if that helps.

you should just get a hardtop for it anyway, they're supposed to be a lot quieter than the loud-as-fuck uninsulated softtop

Hard tops are anywhere from 1k to 3k so that's something that I'd really have to think about before investing that amount of money. I can live with the rip for now, I'll masking tape or patch the beeeccchh for now :)

I want a damaged titled s2000 so I wont feel bad making it into a smasher instead of keeping it all quiet and pretty. I love longitudinal engine rwd cars, and as I age I am reminded of how many I haven't owned.

Edit: I agree with shoebox, get a hard top, don't wanna put down rag tops, hehe. Seen a few come through at cars and coffee, they are tits, what I would save up for first if I got serious about a purchase.
Yessir I've been abusing the car in back roads earlier and so far it's taking the beatings with no issues. Man this car is so fun! I'm starting to really get comfortable with performance and handling of the car. I can't fathom how much grip these cars can take on the corners, so much fun!!

Hard tops are typically in the $3500-4000 range and shipping is a pain in the ass. I always wanted one but could never justify spending that money
x2 I can leave with the convertible for now. Plus summer is only a couple months away. :devil::devil::devil:

Fresh paint job?
Fresh inside?
Is the outside, frame, and the trunk wide?
The whole front end has been repainted as well as the rears, but he did hit something again which chipped some paint off the lower front bumper. It has the newer Ap2 front and rear bumpers although I don't think it's 2k premium paint job. Could use a a really good buff and detailing.

Congratulations! I had a yellow ap2 and loved every second of it, I'm sure you will too.

Boost isn't a bad idea either. Arp head studs alone and that motor will take 600 whp!
Thanks Bud! I'll have to talk to my tuner and see what he thinks about as far as engine management for tuning. I could imagine this car would be a blast even with low boost.

Are the rims big?
Do it ride good?

But srsly, does it have clutch buzz?

This car does have a bit of clutch chatter and grabs so hard for a stage 2. I wonder if the previous owner used un-sprung disc.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Ahh, so you have an aftermarket disc...didn't realize that.

I bought my AP1 with 27K miles on it and the buzz from the original sprung disc was so bad that you could feel the vibration in the cabin. Spent like 4 months waiting for a response to my goodwill consideration request and eventually got Honda of America to partially honor the TSB and they paid 50% for the disc replacement.

From what I understand, clutch buzz is common with any aftermarket disc.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ahh, so you have an aftermarket disc...didn't realize that.

I bought my AP1 with 27K miles on it and the buzz from the original sprung disc was so bad that you could feel the vibration in the cabin. Spent like 4 months waiting for a response to my goodwill consideration request and eventually got Honda of America to partially honor the TSB and they paid 50% for the disc replacement.

From what I understand, clutch buzz is common with any aftermarket disc.
Yessir I am using a competition clutch. Just spent a good hour reading thru suspesion set-ups on s2ki.com and there's a big debate between Swift spec-r and Eibach pro-kit lowering springs. I don't mind using either I just need an alignment after the install;

Also, i was looking at this front bumper called A-sport. It looks pretty sick!

Awesome car! My father has a black AP1 (unsure of exact year). Such a fun car!

They're fun cars no doubt

·
3,983 Posts
For our AP1s, AEM plugin is pretty much the way to go, unless you're willing to change a bunch of parts to run a k-pro

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Oh and you made the right decision not getting an E36 M3. They're great cars and all but they don't hold a candle to the E46 with 100 more horsepower and 8000rpm inline six with ITBs, nevermind looks and handling.

S2K was a good choice. Mind if I ask how much you paid?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts