Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been doing a bit of research on putting a JRSC Supercharger on my 1998 Civic d16y8 with automatic transmission. Itll be Auto for now(see if its enough power I want), till it breaks, or I want more power then ill swap to a 5psd. Shooting roughly around 150-170 whp.

Just have questions to confirm the setup.

1. Would it be best to get the Y8 setup since is the biggest stock 6.2 pulley, and its 3 rib? Direct bolt on...?

2. Ive read that the FMU is junk, what setup would suit best? Walbro 255lph fuel pump? fuel injectors? Fuel pressure regulator?

3. As for a B16 throttle body, is this necessary? if so which mm is good?

4. As for ECU, can someone educate me on this, ive seen chrome, hondata etc, but mines AUTO, what would be the best route to go about this?

5. Tranny Coolers? Torque Convertors? necessary?

6. And if you guys can post your JRSC D16y8 setups on your autos, that would be great.

Thanks Everyone!! :grouphug:

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Never ran one but..
410cc injectors n u.
Stock pump will work for power level.
Upgraded pump needs an adjustable reg.
Tranny cool is a must.
For tuning aem fic will work for obd2 and auto ecu.
All othet obd1 ecu are going to be for a manual ecu.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
No, Z6 and A6 kits won't work unless you have the offset crank And blower pulley plus the modified lower alternator bracket

This, everything else has been covered except someone is gonna tell you to save the money and swap to a 5spd.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the jrsc on my d16y8. But the car is a stick. I also have the apexi vafc controller. The piggy back is garbage but it works for now until I get a p28 with hondata and get a nice tune. I have the big boost kit that can with the car and jrsc installed on the car. Its a great setup if you like reliability. I think you have to have the 3 ribbed cuz how would that work for the other pulley's on the car?? Just a thought. I would also say you have to shim you alternator so that your belt will line up good. I also found with upgrading your pumpy you have to find some way of cooling you air that your putting cuz that air gets mighty toasty. Look into a Meth injection kit. More octane and cooling is great. :) I wish you good luck on you instal. I have a gray website that will show you a bunch of stuff about you car and the instal and tips. FTP racing.com. good luck man.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the jrsc on my d16y8. But the car is a stick. I also have the apexi vafc controller. The piggy back is garbage but it works for now until I get a p28 with hondata and get a nice tune. I have the big boost kit that can with the car and jrsc installed on the car. Its a great setup if you like reliability. I think you have to have the 3 ribbed cuz how would that work for the other pulley's on the car?? Just a thought. I would also say you have to shim you alternator so that your belt will line up good. I also found with upgrading your pumpy you have to find some way of cooling you air that your putting cuz that air gets mighty toasty. Look into a Meth injection kit. More octane and cooling is great. :) I wish you good luck on you instal. I have a gray website that will show you a bunch of stuff about you car and the instal and tips. FTP racing.com. good luck man.
Grrr. Got to love auto spell on a phone. Its FTL racing.com. hope this helps.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was looking at a couple used JRSCs and contacted Moss Motors, Jackson Racing's official distrubtor, and there's only one guy there that really handles the parts and what not. Obviously his response was more appicable to some parts availability/pricing questions, but his contact info could be good for you as well. AS I said, he's the main JRSC rep at Moss... he'd be a good contact for you.

Here's his reply email to me:
Our system is application based, not engine based. I chose a kit that represents the family of kits that addressed some of the cars that used the D16Y8. Specifically I selected the 989-200. I've attached a set of the instructions for that kit.

The alternator bracket was called 051-251. We have three left. They cost $135.
The kit used three idler pulleys called 051-628. Those are plentiful. $50/each.
The kit used a crank pulley called 051-247. We have ten left. $259.

Lastly, it is critical that the fuel management system be included in the kit you buy. If it's not, you are going to have a problem. Without fuel management, you will melt pistons. (Actually, melting a piston would a good thing. Sometimes the aluminum pistons soften from the heat and a connecting rod pulls loose. It will exit via the side of the block a moment later.) I had a guy call yesterday who meted two pistons. he had a used kit and never knew any fuel management was needed.

I'm the tech guy, so I know nothing about shipping or any of the other Sales related stuff.

Lastly. Be careful. Some of these used kits are junk. Ask why they took it off their car. Why are they selling it? Are they original owner?

BPG

Blaine Graham
Tech Services
Moss Motors, LTD. / Jackson Racing
[email protected]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what I read I will need the y8 crank pulley, alternator lower bracket and spacers, and a 3 rib blower pulley that came with the jrsc y7/y8 kit for clearance from the shock tower, since the z6/a6 kits wont work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at a couple used JRSCs and contacted Moss Motors, Jackson Racing's official distrubtor, and there's only one guy there that really handles the parts and what not. Obviously his response was more appicable to some parts availability/pricing questions, but his contact info could be good for you as well. AS I said, he's the main JRSC rep at Moss... he'd be a good contact for you.

Here's his reply email to me:
Our system is application based, not engine based. I chose a kit that represents the family of kits that addressed some of the cars that used the D16Y8. Specifically I selected the 989-200. I've attached a set of the instructions for that kit.

The alternator bracket was called 051-251. We have three left. They cost $135.
The kit used three idler pulleys called 051-628. Those are plentiful. $50/each.
The kit used a crank pulley called 051-247. We have ten left. $259.

Lastly, it is critical that the fuel management system be included in the kit you buy. If it's not, you are going to have a problem. Without fuel management, you will melt pistons. (Actually, melting a piston would a good thing. Sometimes the aluminum pistons soften from the heat and a connecting rod pulls loose. It will exit via the side of the block a moment later.) I had a guy call yesterday who meted two pistons. he had a used kit and never knew any fuel management was needed.

I'm the tech guy, so I know nothing about shipping or any of the other Sales related stuff.

Lastly. Be careful. Some of these used kits are junk. Ask why they took it off their car. Why are they selling it? Are they original owner?

BPG

Blaine Graham
Tech Services
Moss Motors, LTD. / Jackson Racing
[email protected]
those parts numbers dont work on moss... or where can i order them?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'd say that of the forced induction builds, only 1% of them are supercharged. Of the FI builds I bet only 1% of them are automatic transmissioned. Therefore only 1 in 10,000 FI builds are supercharged automatics. I'm not bashing you, just saying why they aren't responding!

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
1 - 20 of 158 Posts