Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be buying a JRSC for my car pretty soon and have some thoughts on what else to upgrade. So here's a list on what the setup will include:

-Stock D15B Vtec or D16Z6 (see what the situation is I still need to go to work, so a second block and head on the side might be better)
-98 EX trans
-larger diamater TB
-JRSC stock pulley
-K&N stock replacement air filter
-Hondata intake manifold gasket
-DC 4-1 one piece ceramic coated headers
-2.25" piping
-no cat.
-resonator
-magnaflow muffler
-DSM 450cc Injectors cleaned and flow tested
-255lph fuel pump
-Chipped P28 dyno tuned on crome
-wideband o2 with LC-1
-4 bar map sensor
-colder plugs
-ARP head studs
-honda Z6 head gasket

I think that's all, am I missing anything? That will be the setup to start after that maybe a smaller pulley for the JRSC and so on. The goal, a JRSC setup that still passes cali smog tests.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
3" exhaust.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Exhaust might sound a bit too loud. Oh well :p

Where are you getting the supercharger from?
from rbtronix :)

I had a similar exhaust system except it had a "high flow" cat that wouldn't pass smog anyway, so this time no cat, when I need to smog I'll put the stock shit back on.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't think with that setup your going to make anywhere close to 200whp. Most jrsc with stock pulleys range from 140-165 whp.

You are going to need to find a way to up the boost from the stock 6 psi to at least 8-10 psi to get more out of it. I know there used to be pulleys you could buy but since the d-series jrsc has been discontinued a few years idk where you could now.

You are going to need head work and about somewhere around 10.5 compression as well as 8-10 psi on the jrsc to actually have a shot at breaking 200whp on a d-series jrsc car

I may be wrong and please correct me if so, but it seem's in my research for the jrsc for d's this above seems to be the most common information I recieved to hit 160-200whp on a jrsc

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be wrong but I don't think with that setup your going to make anywhere close to 200whp. Most jrsc with stock pulleys range from 140-165 whp.

You are going to need to find a way to up the boost from the stock 6 psi to at least 8-10 psi to get more out of it. I know there used to be pulleys you could buy but since the d-series jrsc has been discontinued a few years idk where you could now.

You are going to need head work and about somewhere around 10.5 compression as well as 8-10 psi on the jrsc to actually have a shot at breaking 200whp on a d-series jrsc car

I may be wrong and please correct me if so, but it seem's in my research for the jrsc for d's this above seems to be the most common information I recieved to hit 160-200whp on a jrsc
yeah that's what everyone is telling me, that they don't make much power so 200whp is just a target. from the JRSC website a bone stock 95 EX put down 146whp. I figured with some extra mods I could get some better results, we will see.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
The best way to see 160+whp with your current set-up is to do some headwork and get a cam.

Stage 2 or 3 cam, P&P, mill the head and bump your comp. Good tuner should be'able to pull 160+whp easily off that set-up with the JRSC and smaller pulley.

·
11,892 Posts

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best way to see 160+whp with your current set-up is to do some headwork and get a cam.

Stage 2 or 3 cam, P&P, mill the head and bump your comp. Good tuner should be'able to pull 160+whp easily off that set-up with the JRSC and smaller pulley.
I'll have to build a head on the side then.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the JRSC kit I'm buying is for a 96-98 CX/DX/LX I found out that this kit comes with a 6.19" crank pulley and a 4.0" SC pulley. The JRSC kit for a 92-95 EX/Si comes with a 6.16" crank pulley and a 3.8" SC pulley. The previous owner claims that he was seeing 7psi will I see less? The D15B does see higher RPMs than the 96-98 DX motor so maybe it will equal out.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts

ya 200 wont happen but it'll still be fun! and yes upping the c/r will be nice. my gsr is just about the same set up and has 10.6:1c/r.
my specs:
b18c/lsd
m62
upgraded 9psi pulley
spoon cam gears
rc 440cc
walbro 255
itr header
2.75 pipping?
sri
badass filter (cant think of the brand atm)
mishimoto radiator
FAL slim fan
no cat
big resonator
magnaflow muffler (sounds like fart from 2800-3200 rpm)
chipped p72 street tuned with crome pro (tuned today!)
wideband o2 and LC-1

yeah that's what everyone is telling me, that they don't make much power so 200whp is just a target. from the JRSC website a bone stock 95 EX put down 146whp. I figured with some extra mods I could get some better results, we will see.
jrsc's from the factory come with a piggy back system which we know isnt as good as a real tune so..... that "146whp" is on a shit tune.

"respectfully" wrong. sc'ers on our roots systems dont like cams at all. the bigger the cam the more your valves open up and the boost will just leak out. stock cam on this one buddy. yes, i really would LOVE to cam the shit outta my sc'ed gsr but it will actually LOOSE boost that way. c/r is your friend here though.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"respectfully" wrong. sc'ers on our roots systems dont like cams at all. the bigger the cam the more your valves open up and the boost will just leak out. stock cam on this one buddy. yes, i really would LOVE to cam the shit outta my sc'ed gsr but it will actually LOOSE boost that way. c/r is your friend here though.
so milling the head will be a good route? I was going to have it resurfaced when I install a new HG and ARP head studs anyway. how will milling effect smog tests? My smog guy wont mind the extra crap I put on it as long as it passes the tail pipe.

*EDIT what did it dyno at? or did you just street tune it? are you running a 255lph fuel pump?

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
so milling the head will be a good route? I was going to have it resurfaced when I install a new HG and ARP head studs anyway. how will milling effect smog tests? My smog guy wont mind the extra crap I put on it as long as it passes the tail pipe.

*EDIT what did it dyno at? or did you just street tune it? are you running a 255lph fuel pump?
milling would be a good easy choice. playing around with the zeal calculator and let me know what c/r you'd be pushing, im interested to see. idk how it would effect your smog. I know for a fact my car fails hard lol! even with the tail pipe if fails but that was on the old tune which was pretty rich. and yes i have a walbro 255lph. forgot to add that to the list. man im excited for you! its almost like my car has a little brother or something lol. lets get this build going. id be really excited to see it come together. and no it wasnt dynoed like i wanted it to be. I do feel that the street tune is better because it's everyday conditions unlike the dyno where theres no air or just not enough. i do plan on doing a couple dyno pulls prolly after xmas just so i can see some numbers and a sexy graph...

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
milling would be a good easy choice. playing around with the zeal calculator and let me know what c/r you'd be pushing, im interested to see. idk how it would effect your smog. I know for a fact my car fails hard lol! even with the tail pipe if fails but that was on the old tune which was pretty rich. and yes i have a walbro 255lph. forgot to add that to the list. man im excited for you! its almost like my car has a little brother or something lol. lets get this build going. id be really excited to see it come together. and no it wasnt dynoed like i wanted it to be. I do feel that the street tune is better because it's everyday conditions unlike the dyno where theres no air or just not enough. i do plan on doing a couple dyno pulls prolly after xmas just so i can see some numbers and a sexy graph...
I'll be very interested in seeing the results since I'll be swapping in a B18c/1 next year and maybe go the same route with a SC.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
I'll be very interested in seeing the results since I'll be swapping in a B18c/1 next year and maybe go the same route with a SC.
ha, well I'll deffenitly get some dyno numbers and let you know for sure. I also forgot, i have some spoon cam gears too. not that it matters cuz i have stock cams lol. and my motor is the real jdm "B18C" but that doesnt make it any better than the usdm one.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before I install the SC I want to pull the motor and replace any gaskets that should be such as the oil pan(it leaks a little), main seals, valve stem seals, etc... Maybe replace the main and rod bearings while I'm down there. Also new piston rings hone the block and have the deck checked. resurface the head and have the valve seats checked. I want to feel safe boosting this engine. I also need a new clutch kit and need to resurface the flywheel. maybe I'll just pick up a used D16Z6 to work on instead so I don't have any down time... What do you guys think... JRSC'd D16Z6 or D15B?

·
11,892 Posts
yeah an N/A D with $10K worth of mods
Nah it wasn't like that. I tried to find the post where he said that. The thread was just some random guy asking what size exhaust he should get. His setup wasn't crazy or anywhere close to $10k and answers ranged from 2" - 2.5" and bisi stepped in and said what he did.

Found it a couple months back for another thread but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

Regardless gl with the project.:bigok:

1 - 20 of 591 Posts