Honda D Series Forum banner

JRSC Y8 Crank pulley vs stock

32K views 153 replies 27 participants last post by  ThE bArJo 
#1 ·
Anybody got a photo of the JRSC Y8 (3 RIB) Crank pulley or a photo of it next to a stocker?

Was there ever a 4 rib crank pulley produced by Jackson Racing?

#8 ·
Well, I would like to see a dampened pulley instead of a solid unit but that's unlikely.

Larger diameter would be the easiest thing.

I have all of the parts that are in demand to be reproduced...the upper alternator/idler bracket and the lower alternator bracket. If you're serious about reproducing either of these, let me know and maybe we can work something out for you to take measurements

#10 · (Edited)
Appreciate this. Just saw your PM. Perhaps I can give you a deposit or something to spec them out. Moss has basically said what is in stock now will never be produced again (and is expensive).

I got one of the last new crank pulleys, and I'm trying to find the source of the idler pulleys. The idler bracket itself should be very easy to reproduce.

I want to ensure that there is at least a source to get these parts in the future. It seems like EVERYONE forgets to take off the idler bracket and crank pulley when they go to sell the kits, and right now it'd cost you ~$600 to get those few items from Moss while they last, this doesn't include the alternator bracket which seems to be sold out.

I have 3d printing capabilities too, so I can certainly send you prototypes to play with fitment on things if you're interested.

Adding a damper to the pulley may not be realistic, but do you think it's necessary considering you have the blower and accessories pulling against the pulley to potentially dissipate vibrations?

I think @bone would be a good person to ask. He is pretty dead-set on never running on a non-dampened pulley..

unless you take care to lower the intkae temps a bit more, I would put a larger pulley on hold for the moment.

maybe a lunar core modified to work?
I can't do any complex casting projects like a modified blower housing for a lunar core, only reasonably-sized milled and lathed stuff (brackets, pulleys..)

But you bring up a valid point. Would it be worthwhile to just reproduce the crank pulley in stock diameter and then make the boost up by producing a small snout pulley?

Just how much boost can you get away with on the stock unit? It seems like some people here were running 10lbs/200whp without heat issues! I believe that is where the diameter of the crank should be. Right up to the point where heat becomes an issue.

#9 ·
unless you take care to lower the intkae temps a bit more, I would put a larger pulley on hold for the moment.

maybe a lunar core modified to work?

#12 ·
I think only pieces missing from my ZC kit is this bracket thingymabob.
Did Y8 kits have similar?

988-041 S/C SUPPORT BRACKET KIT 2
051-083 BOLT, FLANGE, M10 X 1.25 X 20 1 pc
051-186 NUT, HEX FLANGE M8-1.25 1 pc
051-558 SPACER 21/64 X 1 X 0.75 1 pc
051-559 ADAPTOR, SUPPORT BRACKET 2 1 pc
051-560 BOLT FLANGED M8X45X1.25 12AF 1 pc
051-563 BRACKET, ENGINE TO S/C BRACE 1 pc

#14 ·
Moss Motors said:
051-560 BOLT,HEX FLANGE,M8 X 1.25 X 45 $1.99
051-558 SPACER .328 X 1 X 0.75 $11.99
051-083 BOLT,HEX FLANGE,M10 X1.25 X 20 $1.99
051-186 NUT,HEX FLANGE, M8 X 1.25 $0.99

The rest are out of stock

This piece would be very easy to reproduce -- even in small quantities, but is there evidence that it is needed and there would be ANY demand? If you want one, just take some measurements of the bar length and I can have one waterjetted.

#15 · (Edited)
I've never heard of a manifold cracking and none of the kits aside from the ZC kit mention this as a part. The earlier version of the CCW M45 had a mount cast into the case for this bracket:

This was from a blower that was from the original "Sebring" branded kit. My guess is that this was an early design idea that was later scrapped because it was deemed unnecessary

#18 ·
Hey,

I located a z6 manifold/blower cheap. Missing everything that I planned on reproducing..

Are the z6 and y8 kit snouts the same? Would it just be a matter of getting rid of the 4 rib pulley for a 3 rib pulley to get the drive belts to line up? Or are the snouts different or something like that? Effectively, is a z6 blower with a y8 snout pulley identical to a y8 blower?

#22 ·
Reactions: slo_eg8
#23 ·
what is so darn hard about loosening the setup, tying a string around the pulleys, figure about half an inch extra, and order?

belt part numbers are derived from dimensions, not application. number of ribs, width of belt, and length

you can then simply find a blet catalog, and start looking through the part numbers.

#25 ·
Just finished the Solidworks object for the offset Y8 crank pulley (051-247 6.200Dia)

Should be IDENTICAL to the original unit. Every chamfer, fillet, etc.

I'll 3d print a copy to check dimensions in person this week.

Patrico has graciously lent me the lower bracket and I'll have the rest of the kit I ordered on ebay (including upper bracket/idlers) this week.

The crank and snout pulley as well as the idler and lower bracket will all be sent out to be made from aluminum -- but what does everyone think of the idler pulleys being made out of printed ABS plastic?

#28 ·
To be honest, I am not sure the difference between the y7 and y8 crank pulleys.

Did you do Paterico's dime trick to see if you even need the offset pulley and alternator bracket? You only need it for 3rib kits (where you can't fit a dime between the snout and the snout pulley)

http://www.d-series.org/forums/4816402-post97.html

I wanted to model some of the parts I have too, but I do not have an active license of pro/e or solidworks.
PM'd

#30 · (Edited)
Idler bracket assembly complete, Paterico sent me another version I'll compare against soon.

1x Bracket:
  • 1x McMaster-carr Metric 316 Stainless Steel Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw/M6, 70mm, 1.0mm pitch #90116A331
  • 1x McMaster-carr Zinc Plated Steel Hex Nut Class 8, M6x1 Thread Size, 10mm Wide, 5mm High #90591A151

2x Spacer

1x Backing block

2x Idler pulley:
  • 2x uxcell 6000Z 10mm x 26mm x 8mm Sealed Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearings
  • 2x McMaster-carr 18-8 Stainless Steel Hex Head Cap Screw M10 Thread, 1.5mm Pitch #91287A181
  • 1x McMaster-carr Zinc Plated Steel Hex Nut Class 8, M10x1.5 Thread Size, 17mm Wide, 8mm High #90591A171
  • 2x McMaster-carr Type 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer M10 Screw Size, 10.5mm ID, 20.0mm OD #93475A280

1x Alt bracket:
  • 1x McMaster-carr Type 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer M10 Screw Size, 10.5mm ID, 20.0mm OD #93475A280

http://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library/20120604/90116a331l.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library/20140728/91287a181l.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library/20150216/90591a151l.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library/20150216/90591a171l.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/mva/library/20141117/93475a280l.gif

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Sealed-Groove-Radial-Bearings/dp/B00K86H46Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1461989875&sr=1-1&keywords=10+x+26+x+8mm+bearing[/ame]

Pulleys I think will be billet aluminum. Won't raise the cost that much at all.

Attachments

#38 · (Edited)
I'm literally just so sick of seeing these kits like half complete and the parts not even being around to complete them. You know I've been looking for one for the better part of a year. Every single one I looked at was garbage or missing something. I finally bought a nice one... and it's missing stuff. Might as well just mill it myself and carry a small supply for anyone in a similar situation.

In an interesting twist, I reached out to a mutual friend who happens to know the guy who originally milled these pieces for the Oscars. Ironically, might actually wind up using him to recreate the parts if he's willing.

I starting 3d printing the parts to make sure that they will actually bolt up and the measurements work. Bearings and other parts are on the way. Hoping to finish this lower alternator bracket this week and have an entire assembly printed and ready to bolt to my spare motor next.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.