Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day my car was running was running fine...next minute it won't idle worth a damn.

Probably because of me....:pinch:

When I put on my supercharger, I realized that I effectively had two IACV's working at the same time. My idle while stable, was around 1500 rpm's. The disconnected Y7 IACV was still bypassing air around the throttle plate. So my goal was to take it off and block it off with a plate. That should give a normal idle, right?

Wrong.

After I made the block off plate and put the car back together, it won't idle. If I hold my foot down, it'll run but as soon as I take my foot off, it'll die. At the lowest rpm it'll run at, it's got a heavy heavy lope. It backfired and now all my supercharger belts are too loose (wtf?).

Need some help here guys....

Oh btw if it helps any...I have another throttle body off an DA integra that I got for free. But it has a bunch of connections that i don't know what do with. I don't think it's compatible...just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds like your timing is off.. check to make sure you are tdc

other possible causes imo are bad tps, bad spark plugs or bad map...
Car was running fine prior to the modification. No adjustments we made to timing at all. Spark plugs were changed last month.

Any other opinions?

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Check to make sure your right. Just because you changed your plugs a month ago doesn't mean they are good (could've gotten fouled). And who knows maybe your timing belt jumped. How about the TPS and the MAP like Mr. squid stated? Check ignition timing and what could mess that up. Im just throwing out MO, on your weird situation haha. GL man hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I'd say put the IACV back on and see what happens

·
Registered
98 Hatchback
571 Posts
What gasket are you using for your throttle body? Also, did you end up adjusting your idle? After swapping crank pulleys recently my car would come down in rpms after revving it very quickly and just dye out. I raised the idle and now it's fine. I ask about the gasket because one time I used one that was slightly different from oem and it did not let my car idle correctly either, I changed to an OEM gasket and it fixed it.

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what engine management are you using?
Car is running on Crome right now...soon to be Neptune

What gasket are you using for your throttle body? Also, did you end up adjusting your idle? After swapping crank pulleys recently my car would come down in rpms after revving it very quickly and just dye out. I raised the idle and now it's fine. I ask about the gasket because one time I used one that was slightly different from oem and it did not let my car idle correctly either, I changed to an OEM gasket and it fixed it.
:bigok:

This was the issue. As it turns out I running a Y7 TB gasket which doesn't have the cutout for a Y8 style IACV. When I made that block off plate, I blocked off any chance of my engine getting any air with the throttle plate closed. Hence, no idle.

As it turned out, a friend of mine had recently completed a Y8 IM swap and was having idling issues of his own. It turned out his gasket was the source of his issues as well. He had a Y8, I had a Y7. One switcheroo later and both cars were running.

I still have a vacuum leak from around my throttle body which I need to isolate but at least I can drive the damn thing.

Props rbtronix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts