Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it is possible with ~11:1 CR? Water injection increases the octane rating of your gas and fends off detonation. JR makes a water intercooler but I don’t think it's too efficient because it injects into the plenum and wont be evenly distributed into the runners. I was thinking a direct port water injection setup would work better. Theoretically you could tune how much water gets injected into each cylinder by your choice of jets. The pump would have to be capable of very high pressure to achieve good atomization. Doing this wouldn’t be easy because you would need all sorts of check valves and stuff, but the added power would be a definite plus. How high could you go with the CR? The motor would be a D16Z6 running a 6lb. pulley, LS rods, springs, retainers, and a stage 2 crower turbo cam. The car is built for the street.

Possible? or a total waste of time and money.

T

·
0 Posts
OK 2redstars,

I'm sorry. I have kept my mouth shut about a lot of things I have read on this board, but that has to be the biggest load of absolute bullshit I have ever heard someone post.

Not intercooled, "no fuel management" , 12psi, with 12.5:1 compression ratio, on a D-series. Give us a break! Some of us didn't just leave the FandF theater. Don't EVER pass on information like that again. Not only is it completely and utterly unsafe, it's flat out STUPID.

I can't even believe you posted this ridiculous load of crap.

..enough said. Delete his post, PLEASE. :(

I'm sorry for my behavior, I felt it needed to be said.

B

·
0 Posts
12:5:1, no fuel management, no intercooler, 12 psi? I call bull poop... Nobody is going to build their motor for N/A and then for the heck of it throw a turbo on... lol.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it could be possible if you took out alot of timing. You would have no margin for error with the tuning though. W/o fuel managment I think it would run very lean at 12 psi. Any detonation would blow the motor. Did he run 103 octane or pump gas? Also I imagine the NA cam would have killed performance alot. Too much overlap would cause the AF mixture to pass right through the head into the exhaust ports.

·
0 Posts
WELCOME TO THE 12th ANNUAL FANTASY TUNERS BALL!!!!! FIRST UP IS A 12PSI NON INTERCOOLED D SERIES WITH NO FUEL MANAGEMENT!! THEN WE HAVE A STOCK D15 THAT RUNS 14.9 AND WITH A 250SHOT OF NITROUS RUNS [email protected]!

give me a break.

T

·
0 Posts
2redstars said:
he did take a dremel to his adj. cam gear(?).
Hahah.. So he's accurate enough with a dremel to modify his CNC machine cam gear enough to keep it from wobbling and making the timing belt fly off? Uh huh..

2redstars said:
he normally would run about 8-9psi, but then he bent the wastegate rod to up the boost.
Bending the wastegate rod isn't going to do anything but screw upthe alignment. It would need to be physically shorter for it increase boost. But, I guess if he could dremel with CNC machined accuracy, he could bend a wastegate rod to put it at exactly 12psi, eh? I would love for this guy to build my car. I waste entirely too much time writing tuning software and giving a crap about my Engine Management.

2redstars said:
it was like that for about a week before he took it off.
I though you said he ran that setup for 2 months... which was it?

2redstars said:
but i can say it fealt stronger on the bottle.
You know why it "felt stronger on the bottle"? Because this setup is ficitious. At least the idea of this setup NA would prove believable, at best. But force inducted? When will the FandF Tuning class end?!

2redstars said:
i am not tring to tell someone to do this, it is not safe or smart, this kid has a grandpa with $$$$, since he spun the bearing he now has a h22 sitting in his garage.
Well then, that must be why it worked. Because he's got money...

2redstars, do you know WHY I don't believe you? Let me count the ways..

1st, you cannot run 12psi on 240cc injectors. It's physically impossible. So you swap in larger injectors. No fuel management? ...ya, you're not even going to be able to START your car let alone drive it.

2nd, "take a lot of timing out". Oh my god is that an understatement. You realize how hot that intake temp is going to be at 12psi? You're going to be shooting into the 130 -140 degree mark at WOT. ..and at 12.5:1 compression.. HAHAHAHAHAH! Provided you get your car to even START, you'll start pinging before leave the drive-way.

3rd, What you think you are going to do when you get higher than 1.3psi? He must have had one of those magic "bone-stock" ECUs that Honda released that didn't throw a CEL(10) when MAP sensor voltage was higher than 3.1v. That ECU must be worth some major cash.

4th, if by some act of God, you "friend" did some how make it into boost without his car dropping into limp mode, Honda fuel and timing maps don't exist higher than 1.3psi. You're going to say that with these uncontrolled, larger injectors just dumping and dumping and dumping fuel (by the way, at 240cc pulse durations you would see the fuel dripping from your tailpipe.. *if* you could see passed all the smoke), you're going to tell me that the A/F at 12psi was anywhere near correct enough for it to last more than 2.5 seconds at that?

Give me a break! ...Armchair drivers, get your couch caddys to the staging lanes...

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think we went off on a tanjent here. Do you think direct port water injection on a JRSC is doable?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good. When I get my SC I will try it and let you know how it goes. I'll build the motor first but am unsure of how high a CR I could get away with. I guess it depends on alot of things, but I want it to feel strong even when I dont to floor it. I'm looking for around 200-250whp.

T

·
0 Posts
mikeD16Z6,

Heh, I believe that was meant for me.. Ignore him. He's pouty because someone called him out on his lie.

Let us know how your setup goes. I'm not saying you can't do high compression, you just need very good engine management (that is tuned). The high compression will leave no room for mistakes when it comes to tuning. Just be careful, don't cut corners, and everything should work out well.

O

·
0 Posts
mike, i woudl not advice going past a 7psi pully with the jrsc. it products a lto fo heat and witht hat compression ratio heat is going to be an issue. unelss you run 100 octaine fuels. then you could do a 9-12 psi pully and properly tuned car.

O

·
0 Posts
2redstarts,
Somehow I think the guy who told you that was jerkin yor chain. Please stop and think about what some of these guys are saying (Haters) greanted it's not int he best way to express one's disapproval of your statements, but they do have some VERY good points. so you should go tell this guy he's total full of crap and see what he says. Also if you have a question abotu something, then please ask. Never assume anything when it comes to an engine , especially if you don't know. assuming will only make an "Ass- ot of "u" and "me" (assume).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts