Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys thinks its worth goin turbo? i love my supercharger BIG TIME, but im kinda tired of the 6-7psi i want more :yes:.

·
Registered
45 Posts
if your tired of the low boost then id say its time for a turbo. im getting ready to go the turbo route myself. its a defferent feeling with a turbo vs. a supercharger, but its worth it in my opinion. SC will never be able to equal the power output of a well matched turbo. just dont get to boost happy if your still on a stock block.

·
Registered
988 Posts
With the money you could sell your JRSC for, you can get a decent set up with a tune.

Yes sell it. S/C doesnt compare with turbo, if you want more, you need turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Have you swapped pulleys? You can get another 4-5 psi out of your JRSC.

What do you do with your car? Just daily drive?

Everyone is quick to jump on the turbo wagon but JRSC's have some distinct advantages of their own.

It really comes down to what you plan to do with your car.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Compound boost. Fast low end boost response of the supercharger + high end efficiency of the turbo = WIN. The cobra guys have been doing this for a while.

Check out this setup

A guy set up a road racing compound setup for road racing. You wouldn't have to go this extreme, but the dyno graphs about halfway down the page show what a twincharged setup could look like for you.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i say turbo because iv never been really impressed with the way a JRSC runs on a honda.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are major hurdles with compound boosting. The rewards are huge but you are going to walk a fine line. Heat is any motors enemy and compressing air that has already been compressed causes ass loads of heat= which equals detontation. To give you an idea if you run 7psi on both you will multiplying the compressed air by a factor of 1.5 both times. You will end up not being able to run past 10 psi on the turbo which takes a lot of the fun out of it. If the JRSC is clutched then you can run the SC to help spool a larger turbo and cut the sc off. I don't think the JRSC uses a electro clutch though.

The cool part is if you run both at 7psi then you don't end up with 14psi. Here is the math:

(.5bar SC'r + atmospheric pressure 1 bar) = 1.5bar (or 21.7psi) x (.5 bar turbo) = 2.25 bar which = 18psi (I think my math is right. I did it in atmospheric pressure cause it is easier to show the math and how it works. So many people do not understand that it is the atmosphere we breath that actually makes the motor work).

If you have the money a SC can be just as potent. I helped build a M90 setup for 4AGE that made 300 lb ft and 300+ whp. It was more drivable then a turbo and had a more usable rev range. It was also setup that the SC did not come on until the throttle postition went past 35% so the gas mileage was killer for daily driving. For a setup like this though you are looking at 3K-4K unles you know how to fab. Then 1K is more like it if you know how to shop. Also Superchargers in well sorted setups are considered more durable then turbos. I have seen 4AGZE's with 250xxx+ miles running on an old beaten SC still boosting its little heart out.

If you don't have a lot of expierence then going turbo is a far better idea as it has been done over and over again. You really just have to pick a hp goal and then follow one of the 100 builds that has already been done.

If you are hearing me then you realise that a sc build is so much more orignal...... HP is a lot of fun though, A LOT!!!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
you could get $600-$800 shipped for a JRSC kit depending. I'm almost $2K into my turbo build and planning on more than another $4K to spend, but I think do it right or don't do it at all... I also have a JRSC'd D15B that I have to put some high compression pistons into and port it before I see it's true potential. I won't move onto turbo on that car until I push the JRSC to the max first.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts