Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all,

Decided to make a thread as per recommendation of swich and patprimmer.

Here are my problems with a (very) used JRSC previously installed in a D15B. My friend from Singapore testdrove the car hard prior to removing it and noted boost at 6-7psi according to the gauge. He was also able to rev it as high as 7K plus rpm on 1st and 2nd gear but due to speed limit in Singapore was not able to push past 4th gear. He did not hear any unwanted noise or problem but was not able to inspect the unit prior to disassembly since it was already late at night. He then shipped the unit complete with alternator bracket and pullies, belt and stock TB (56mm)

When it arrived I immediately inspected the blower pulley and noted wobble upon turning but no grinding or side-to-side movement. The bearings seem to be smooth. But the exterior condition is not pleasant obviously indicating abuse and that the unit has been opened up evidenced by signs of ported S-tube mix-match bolts etc. The embosed emblem has also been shaved

i tried to "suck" the nipple of the bypass valve but can't open the butterfly when doing so. However, i noticed that the pressure in sucking would change whenever i manually open and close the butterfly. I don't know if that's good or bad but i plan to just replace the bypass valve with a new one

but the real problem is the wobble on th blower pulley as seen on these videos:

blue3549's Channel - YouTube

what do you think guys?

BTW, i'm from the Philippines so i don't have access to shops that specializes in superchargers

thanks,
rob

·
Meat Popsicle
2,919 Posts
Sorry to say but it looks like the shaft is bent. Might have been damaged during shipping. Looks like it got dropped on the pulley.

Regarding the bypass valve diaphragm, I doubt you'll be able to open it by just sucking with your mouth. You probably need a vacuum pump.

I've never done it but from everything I've read, removing the driveshaft is pretty easy. Drain oil, remove snout, remove pulley, remove retaining pin, tap out with a rubber mallet. You can then roll the shaft on a flat surface to see for sure if it's bent.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If its just the pulley im sure you can order one online or ive seen people on here make custom pulleys for more boost. Hit them up. If its the shaft idk mang. Dont know much about internals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know much about these but maybe you can try to just take the pulley off and then put the bolt and/or nut back in and spin it over to see if you can tell if the shaft still has the wobble to it. Might save you from pulling it apart if your not comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, figured the shaft "might" be damaged as well as the pulley but still hoping for the best

it's my dream eversince to have a JRSC on my ZC SOHC and was excited to finally find one. Sadly, it's not in the best condition and if the shaft is bent then i guess it was not meant to be....or atleast not yet

i'll try to dismantle the shaft to check if it's still true

will update this thread

thanks for the response guys

·
Registered
66 Posts
it would be the whole sc, cant take it apart for the shaft. and sorry mods i am not advertising anything for sale! just giving a guy some info. i have alotta posts to go still... :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i had the pulley removed and this is what i found out:

the pulley's hole is much bigger than the diameter of the shaft and is out of true hence the wobble

measured the diameter of the shaft and the inside hole of the pulley and found a discrepancy of 0.5mm up.

that is a no-no since i believe that the pulley shoud match the diameter of the shaft and the key is there to only lock it in place. in this case since the hole is too big the key not only locks it in but also cause the pulley to tilt in one axis hence the wobble

proceeded to check the shaft and guess what? it's still straight Yehey!

so the pulley is the source of the problem after all, but where can i find a 3.4 4rib pulley for my JRSC 92-95?

any one can help me out or know where to source one? you can shoot me a PM if you want

thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
No machine shops in your area. Have everything mic'ed and have a new pulley milled. A lot easier than tracking one down.

·
Registered
774 Posts
glad to see you coming right... if you going to get one made get a 3.3 or 3.2" i bit more boost for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the tip swich, i'll surely keep that in mind

still waiting for the reply of Moss and the local machine shop regarding my pulley inquiry

i'm thinking of replacing the bypass valve actuator, do you where i can source one with a good price? the price of Moss is outrageous

in the meantime i'm mildly porting the S-tube, outlet and inlet of the blower

·
Registered
774 Posts
well between preludepatrick and myself there is alot of info on here about porting these blowers;)

good luck in getting it to run right

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crxlifer21, thanks for the link i've read them before and the price is much cheaper than at Moss

swich, yes sir i've read your discussions on porting the jrsc - really big help

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 3.8 pulley sitting around.I have a 3.4 on the supercharger.It`s not easy to find one.I was searching around for 6 months to finally find a 3.4 one.

The other problem I need to fix is the annying knock/ping/detonation/marbles inside the engine (whatever you call it) at around 3000-4000 rpms.I`ve tuned the afrs properly and I can still hear it.The ignition is at around 18-20 degrees on that area.Should I lower it even more?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts