Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a d16y8 and I am looking to get more power out of my motor or doing a motorswap. I have been looking at the JRSC with 6 lbs of boost or I have been looking at a stage 2 crower camshaft with new springs and retainers or I have been looking at a b16 motor. I am not sure what b16 it is but it makes 170 hp. What would you guys suggest? What one do you guys think would make the most power? I went to an automotive shop today asking them what I should do and they said that adding that camshaft would not even come close to the JRSC supercharger. Also I was told that I could probably find a used supercharger for sale somewhere, anyone know of someone selling one or where I could find a used one? I have been searching on the web by typing in "Honda Civic superchargers for sale" and I have found nothing!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Option 4, turbo it. Get a kit with a small turbo like the Edlelbrock or Greddy kit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is 2 grand and I don't want to do anything internally if I supercharge or turbocharge. I would prefer to be around the 1 grand area though. I have heard of people selling used jackson racing superchargers for less that 1 grand. I am looking at using this car for a dd so I think turboing is out of the question.

·
Registered
181 Posts
either option you go. you need to look at tuning. it can be $100-$500. plus you need either standalone management or go grassroot managment with a chipped p28 ecu. they can go forn $100-$2500 for engine management

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I am experienced enough to make my own kit but how much are we looking at for a homemade turbo? and by the term homemade what are talking about doing?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't think that turbo is the way I want to go...so just comparing the first 3 options what one would be the best way to go?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I typed a lot and deleted it.

If you search you'll see why most owners of the jrsc swapped out to a (often greddy) turbo.

Usually something to do with the belt popping off, stopping the blower, cutting off the air supply to the engine so it stalls in heavy traffic, and installing a new belt on the shoulder of the road.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't even know where to start with making my own turbo kit. Would I go to junkyards and look for a good turbo or what? then how would I do the piping and the oil lines? All this just sounds like too much work for just wanting to add a little extra power although a turbo would add a whole heck assload of power! I am not looking for that type of power! I am looking for maybe 40 or 50 more horses and something that is reliable! I just think that the jrsc fits all of this but is a little expensive for 2 grand! I donno I just heard from someone that the jackson racing superchargers can be found used all over!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't the belt popping off the pulley have to do with the person who installed and tightened that belt? or am I wron here?

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
2128 shipped for the 96-00 greddy kit, td04 19t, 310cc injectors tuned on the greddy emanage. 7lbs of boost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can get nice turbo kits for way way less than 3000 bucks, and it will make way more power than a jrsc. Just turbo it, you can piece together a kit for cheap, just buy a manifold, turbo, wastegate, intercooler, piping, injectors, down pipe and your good to go. Or you can just buy a kit on ebay for 800 brand new. I know they are not name brand but i know a ton of people running cheap no name brand stuff and their cars rip. I also see name brand stuff for cheap all the time. IMO just turbo it i think that turboing a car is way easier than installing a jrsc i have owned a couple jrsc and a ton of turbo kits and turbo's are the way to go!! If you ever want to go faster all ya gotta do is buy either a waste gate spring or a boost controller for 10 bucks, where as with a jrsc you have to buy pulley's that are way more expensive and you can only turn the boost up so much on a jrsc i wanted to upgrade the pulley on mine but they didn't even make a d series pulley that would push any more than 12lbs because the bearings on the inside of the supercharger go out faster when you try and push more boost than it's made to push. where as any ebay turbo is good to atleast 20psi and you dont have to run a belt to a turbo.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you are telling me to turbo it with ebay parts? I thought that people had problems with these parts on ebay that are cheap? If not then that would be the route that I would want to go anyone want to argue the whole ebay thing?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 141 Posts