Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been chatting with a buddy of mine the last few days about building something a little different and we started throwing a round the idea of supercharging a y8...I was wondering from people running one or have run one what type of power you were making. Right now we are looking to get the Jackson Racing kit and run it at stock boost with stock internals in the motor. I have never really looked at or considered putting a blower on a d series before so I am really not sure of what issues if any people have run into if any. I have a bunch of parts kicking around from my turbo builds so I already have a set of injectors and b16 throttle body that I will use along with a choice of 2-3 different headers.
If we can make 175-200hp out of the setup I know that will be more than enough for him as he is looking for a fun snappy street motor that is not too crazy that he can daily drive it without much issue and I don't want to give him anything with too much power right now as he is still a youngin and I know he will get in way too much trouble with too much motor.

edit - also have a comp 59300 cam and a set of valve springs and retainers that I am gonna use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I am talking crank HP with those numbers :)
I am looking at porting the blower and intake also...I know from when I had my GTP I got a shitload of gains outta hogging out the blower as well as chopping the outlet....I would have to get the actual blower in front of me to see if it is possible to do the same with the Jackson one as I did with the one on my GTP.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup it was an M90 - I sold the car about 6 years ago so it's been a while. I clearly remember the 1st time I pulled one apart and I was shocked at how restrictive it was inside the casing, I had it boosting 34 lbs on a 3" pulley at the end...hauled ass and tore trannies to pieces just as fast...so I sold it

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
What kind of budget do you guys have, also what kind of car and do you have ac? Jsrc kits are decent priced but hard to find usually and dont always include everything. If you have 3g to spend and dont want or have ac then I would probably give kraftwerks a try

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car will have no ac or powersteering. I will be putting it in a Canadian ek SI coupe. As long as I can find the blower and intake then I can figure out the rest - I have machine shop connections so if I need to have something made I can get it done at a decent price

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking more looks like I need the pulley brackets also...could get them fabbed worse comes to worse if I can get the specs

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
You will want to convert to obd1 and chip the ecu so you can tune it. Nothing worse than tick tick boom.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For sure gonna convert it to OBD1 - I am planning on using a p28 with a gm 3 bar MAF and having it tuned on chrome

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Good call. Sounds like you are doing your homework.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just hope to get my car done 1st :D

This will be the 3rd different build that I have spec'd and taken on for someone else this summer that has put my own car on the back burner...but at least these other builds are helping me pay for mine

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
See to much for a "flat" curve, I would rather have gobs of torque at around 3000rpm with my turbo and get decent gas mileage vs low numbers and almost always in boost getting crappy gas mileage, plus alk the money to intercool a jrsc would suck

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
The difference is typically noticed in the flatness of the torque curve, not necessarily the overall torque number
This. The linear power from the JRSC is what's appealing to me. I'd venture to say a stock blower on a stock Y8 would yield around 150whp with a decent tune. Rustbucketrex on here has a D15B that is pulleyed to about 9.5psi, 60mm TB and had a very free flowing exhaust, and I'd venture to say it was around 170whp after I got it dialed in.

Just my speculation, but a larger intake tube like a 3", a better S-tube on the charger setup itself and spraying meth/water would go leaps and bounds on one of these. I'll hopefully be able to prove this on his if we can ever get to a dyno for a base number. IAT is the biggest issue I've seen with these, he was reaching over 200F* when he autocrossed it, and just cruising in the summer here (100F* ambient) it would see 160-170 on his commute.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am also wondering if anyone has done any porting work on the m45 blower? I have yet to have one in my hands to look at it to see how it compares to the M90's I used to play with but I am thinking that I should be able to get some more gains outta it with some port work.
This Supercharger idea is sounding better and better to me right now as I should be able to throw it on the motor with a set of arp head studs and rod bolts and the bottom end should take the blower without any major issues (I hope).
I am thinking that I will do a ported z6 head with a comp 59300 or delta 272 regrind and valve springs/retainers also over the winter and see what happens. I am not expecting big hp numbers but I would like to do something different with this build, but as others were saying it is the flat torque curve that I am wanting to go after and make this more of something that will really launch outta the hole - pretty much a traffic light racer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts