Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so this has been asked and discussed many times. but have ideas ever been shared? not from what i have found.

any way came across a guy in canada that re build his intake with some cooling cores in it. running a near on stock motor and making 224whp. from an m45.

my goal was 200whp and every one said it cant be done. but it has been.

so power goals aside. i have been planning on building an intercooler/aftercool type idea for some time now. my first thoughs where a sandwitch idea between the blower and intake manifold.

after a closer look at this custom built intake. i think im going to cut open the jrsc intake a put i core of sorts in there.

here is a few pic's of my plan.
ether flat along the botom or angled at the top. and do you think this core will flow enough air and do you think it will be able to get rid of the heat?

post your ideas or comment on what you have done or want to do.

ps. hater free zone please.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
here is a few pic's of my plan.
ether flat along the botom or angled at the top. and do you think this corw will flow enought air and do you think it will be able to get rid of the heat?

post your ideas or comment on what you have done or want to do.

ps. hater free zone please.
Oil cooler? What are you planning on running through it? Cold water? I bet a evap core and running ac system would cool like a mofo in there. AC for your JRSC ftw

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Did the M45 kits come with the meth injection port in the back? I though that was on the B series kits. Or are you not even talking about that? lol

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Did the M45 kits come with the meth injection port in the back? I though that was on the B series kits. Or are you not even talking about that? lol
No the b kits did the d series did not. I would spray pre blower anyways. The Canadian you are talking about that does the intercooler quoted me a price over 1k.....lht is 895

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
Nice idea, I think it will work for you. RSX guys have developed similar drop-in coolers for their K series which have been very successful. Here's a picture.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
I've always contemplated something like that but having to drill holes in to the intake manifold was what turned me away from that idea.

I wish there was a way to sandwich something like this between the manifold and the blower but there's no way the blower would clear the alternator.

The LHT thing isn't really practical at all. So expensive and it's a one-off thing for them so you have to ship in the blower, manifold, and S-tube. I don't like how the cores take up so much space in the manifold. Seems like it wold just add to the turbulence that's already in the manifold.

Good to see ideas like this set into motion. Most of the time they're only half-baked dreams that are never actually take form.

·
Registered
HONDA
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so here are some pic's of this canadian's build

interesting idea but i doubt he is making 224whp from dropping intake temps alone. you should look into water/meth injection.
i think he is running a crower stage 2 cam. other wise its just lower intake temps. and 9psi.

LHT Performance.

I really like the idea of a water/meh setup for the JRSC setup though.
yes i know about lht but im here in SA and im not shipping my intake off to have this done so need to make a plan to do it myself. water/meth is proven to work. but the kit are not cheap. i like trying new things.

Oil cooler? What are you planning on running through it? Cold water? I bet a evap core and running ac system would cool like a mofo in there. AC for your JRSC ftw
that core is from a building AC system. i have thought about running freeon in the system but to make it work you need condenser and pump and the wieght/power gain is not worth it. so i scrapped that idea.

even if that works make sure it doesnt hinder flow more than it cools....
only one way to find out. but that is where i though having the cool flat might be a problem so having it at an angle might help with flow. but might not cool as well.

No the b kits did the d series did not. I would spray pre blower anyways. The Canadian you are talking about that does the intercooler quoted me a price over 1k.....lht is 895
im not sure. those pic's are the one i saw and he say i can copy them but thats the only info i have.

Nice idea, I think it will work for you. RSX guys have developed similar drop-in coolers for their K series which have been very successful. Here's a picture.

yeah i have seen these, they work very well but the kit has a back plate as part of the design and to build some thing like that into our kits, might as well do what im trying to do or rebuild the intake from scratch like above.

I've always contemplated something like that but having to drill holes in to the intake manifold was what turned me away from that idea.

I wish there was a way to sandwich something like this between the manifold and the blower but there's no way the blower would clear the alternator.

The LHT thing isn't really practical at all. So expensive and it's a one-off thing for them so you have to ship in the blower, manifold, and S-tube. I don't like how the cores take up so much space in the manifold. Seems like it wold just add to the turbulence that's already in the manifold.

Good to see ideas like this set into motion. Most of the time they're only half-baked dreams that are never actually take form.
drill holes? how about cutting off the sides of the manifold and rebuilding them as water tanks?

as i said, the sandwitch thing was my first idea

never got around to checking spacing. but i think you right about the spacing.

LHT, i have only heard good things about this. and the proof is there, this does help and does work well. as you can see this canadian's intake uses the lht cores. and his power show that they working well for him.

well lets stick to intercooler/aftercooler ideas in this thread. S bends porting etc i have that other thread. http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/137970-jrsc-porting-eaton-ms.html

thanks for the support in this guys. sharing info and helping me with this.

·
Registered
91 CRX SI
129 Posts
I used to have a cobalt ss supercharged and on the forums zzperformance made somthing like that for them it was called the Chiller Killer or somthing alone those lines. it was to much money for such a little gain meth is the way to go.:bigok:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Like I said that one IC Shane has they quoted me over 1k. I love their work and have look at lot of the pics but when LHT can give you the same thing for a couple hundred less and not have to worry about the extra shipping cost and customs BS I can't justify it. Too bad it's a nice piece just wish it was cheaper.

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
Like I said that one IC Shane has they quoted me over 1k. I love their work and have look at lot of the pics but when LHT can give you the same thing for a couple hundred less and not have to worry about the extra shipping cost and customs BS I can't justify it. Too bad it's a nice piece just wish it was cheaper.
Neither could I. That's why I put water/meth in my car. Now if this was an M62 or MP62 or R900 based kit, I would definitely plunk down the cash for a setup like Shane's or LHT.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i would like to see some temps on these kind of set ups. i dont like the idea of running hot water through the cooler wonder if that custom intake has enough cooling surface to cool the water past the point of the intake charge temps to cool it at all, could get around it with a stand alone water pump system but then why not run meth inj and get the cooling and octane boost for reliability and possibly better power ban or just more power.

·
Registered
EJ6
219 Posts
i would like to see some temps on these kind of set ups. i dont like the idea of running hot water through the cooler wonder if that custom intake has enough cooling surface to cool the water past the point of the intake charge temps to cool it at all, could get around it with a stand alone water pump system but then why not run meth inj and get the cooling and octane boost for reliability and possibly better power ban or just more power.
There is plenty of data out there to show the benefits of a properly intercooled supercharger setup. The only problem is you'll never see one on a D16 save for Shane's on Honda-Tech. You'll have to look at the ITR guys on Honda-Tech or the K20 guys on RSX club to see a proper apples/apples comparison.

But suffice it to say it IS worth it provided you have the dinero. I once said on here that 200hp was possible on our M45 kits and I got laughed out of the building, now Shane has done it using the same setup. The efficiency gains are staggering, way better than water/meth.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ya i know the retail ones work well, but these DIY set ups dont look like they would be as efficient to me. would like to see if they work better then METH. i would like to see one with stand alone pump system and an extra external RAD tho.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts