Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting accustomed to my newly installed JRSC (bone stock) with a BTC wired in but not engaged (dialed down to 0 retard), and the JR stock 6 degree retard dialed in statically thru the distributor.

Once I get the time to get the BTC on the line, what will it bring to the table coming from a static retard? I know with it dialed at 1 deg retard/lb of boost (I'm at the stock 6lb pulley), I can (theoretically) reset the distro timing back to stock (16deg BTDC) and allow the BTC to retard timing according to boost. Is this something I can do myself (mind you, I'm a noob-king at this, but learning fast), or should I bring it into a tuner?

I figure that at no boost, I should get some driveability back from the static retard I have not (there's a small bit of hesitation at light throttle, I think).

Awaiting my education...

PM

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
why not just get a chipped ecu and drive it like a stock vehicle with no timing issues?

less sacrifice, more gain

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought the unanimous answer would be. I'm going to have to learn up on chipping and tuning ECU's. Is there any "drop and drive" ECU solutions out there for a bone stock install of a JRSC on a D16z6? I'm sure there is, just haven't found one. The Hondata pre-programmed S300 on the JRSC website is WAY too expensive.

What cost am I looking at to get a tuner to tweak a newly installed ECU? I've heard $150/hr on a dyno... that sound right? I'm thinking the DIY route on tuning just isn't for me at this point...

PM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Had The Same Issue When Tuning My Civic Hatch With Jackson Supercharged Sohc Zc. I Canned The Btc On Ebay And Used The Money To Get Water Injection On My Set Up. When Ever My Engine See's Boost, It Injects Methanol. So Much Per Pound All The Way To 6psi. I Can Keep The Timing At 16 Btc And No Ping/detonation. You Can Find A Set Up Like Mine At Coolingmist.com & Aquamist.com For Around 199 Bucks. Or You Could Just Do A Search For Water Injection And Shop Around And See What Kits That Might Fit Your Needs... Its A Simple Install, Street Proven And Its Been Around For Years.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
just annoys people on the forum.

tune with crome. find a tuning shop. methonal is nice, but i think its a waste on JRSC d-series.
ill chip an obd-1 p28 for 60 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts