Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take off the blower pulley off one of our JRSC kits. I've got a 3.2" pulley that's ready to go on but I'm not sure of what's involved and if there is a special tool needed.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
365 Posts
The only safe way to do it is with a puller. I've tried in the past to "tap" it off, as well as other means, and all I ever ended up doing was screwing up the bearings in the snout, etc...

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Pulley boys tool is for press-on type pulleys. Same concept as a 3 jaw puller.

The JRSC pulleys have a spot on the back where you can use a wrench to hold the pulley while you loosen the bolt.

However, most aftermarket pulleys do not have this so you will need some type of strap wrench:

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Use the strap wrench to hold the back of the new pulley. If I remember correctly, you ordered from ASP racing right? I'm assuming your pulley looks similar to the aluminum one I posted above with a little cylindrical area on the back?

If so, use the strap wrench to grip that. The pulley has a keyway cut out so the shaft wont move if you hold the pulley.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The problem is that the blower shaft and the bore of the pulley are both tapered, so they jam on there (a lot like a steering wheel). Even when you get the nut off, the pulley will still be firmly attached. That is the reason for a puller.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Hmmm...I didn't have that problem w mine and the blower has been used for over 10 years..slid right off. Those removal tools were designed for the later model blowers that didn't use a nut. Arcane, what problem are you having, loosening and tightening the bolt or actually getting the pulley off?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't exactly have a problem...yet.

The reason for my original post is that I've just got my car out of storage and running. I'd long forgotten how badly the damn thing was tuned. The thing cold idles at 2000 rpm, sounds like its got a misfire until warmed up, smokes like diesel under WOT and gets horrible horrible gas mileage. I get maybe 350 kilometers out of a full tank and at 50 dollars a fill up......:fawk: I had better driving manners and gas mileage on the base-map that I got from the guy when I bought it.

It needs to be re-tuned by someone with at least half a brain.

So I figured, if I've got to get it re-tuned why bother retune the same setup? Why not do some mods and then get it redone. So I bought the pulley from ASP and bought a custom S-tube for it. I know the S/C will need to be pulled out of the car and the work done at whatever tuner I choose. But this has to happen quickly as this is my only car during the summer. I asked the question so that whatever lunkhead gets to work on my car, I can tell him exactly what to do so that its done right, quickly and properly and if he doesn't, beat him over the head with the nearest tire iron.

Rant over.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Trusting your car in some one else's hands... im not sure how it is in the state... but here in SA that brave...

i use the sprap as well to loosen the bolt, then the pulley slids right off. no problems.

good luck with the build

1 - 16 of 16 Posts