Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my friend had 3 JLw6's from like 5 yres ago, 2 blew. so now he has only one working one and a box for 3. he doesnt have the fundage to get new subs. i just goat another bazzooka tube and love it. i was wondering if the jl would be good in a tube or how best to fix this situation cheaply. i think a ported box will be the best option i just dont know

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would say to definately put that jl into the bazooka tube! I had a 6" bazooka tube a while back which I blew, I then replaced it with a w0 series sub and made a world of a difference! Sounded so much better!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
go to home depot and get a sheet of mdf and build your own box. it'll be way more solid than the bazooka tube and you can make it the right volume too. best cheap option imo.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I would say to definately put that jl into the bazooka tube! I had a 6" bazooka tube a while back which I blew, I then replaced it with a w0 series sub and made a world of a difference! Sounded so much better!!
A w0 and a w6 are two completely diff subs. Like mentioned above, just get some MDF and build the correct size box for the sub. W6's do well in ported and sealed enclosures, I prefer a ported myself :D.

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yea i guess i just need to get EXACT dimentions on a ported box for the JL

edit i found this
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

its says the port is 18.6", wouldnt that be longer then the whole thing

ill keep searching though

·
Registered
391 Posts
The W6's do well with both sealed and ported, but I'd drop those W6's into a nice 1.3-1.4cuft sealed enclosure (a piece, if you got the room) - I prefer slightly overdamped alignments. They're easier to build, are a bit more forgiving when you build them, but need a bit more power to sing.

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
power isnt really a problem, neither is space b/c the space used to be used for 3 now its fo 1 sub, just want to make sure its making the most out of what the sub has to offer

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
Bazzooka + Kicker Free Air = WIN!

I was amazed how that 10" tube sounded, but had to be corner loaded for best results.

·
Registered
391 Posts
power isnt really a problem, neither is space b/c the space used to be used for 3 now its fo 1 sub, just want to make sure its making the most out of what the sub has to offer
Ah - thought you were going to replace the two blown subs. 3 12" woofs would rock - I used to be into the over-the-top boom, but not much anymore.

A largish sealed box would sound really good in the car, but you won't be able to pound it outside as you would an optimally sized ported enclosure.

I'm for good sound in, but some like it loud going out. Whichever is your poison, go that route. If you haven't built a ported enclosure, it may take a few tries to get the port tuning right. Word of advice: start long, and then trim.

Bazzooka + Kicker Free Air = WIN!

I was amazed how that 10" tube sounded, but had to be corner loaded for best results.
Heh - I still have my two old 12" Kicker Free-Airs from the 90's in my old Sentra that's about to go to a niece. I'm ripping those out of there - I don't think she'd appreciate them as much as I did. :mrgreen:

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont really have the time to tune it, he leaves in a week or so

just go with the jl specs on a ported box and it will be fine.
the jl specshave the tube longer than the box whats up with that?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The diameter was made intentionally larger to reduce port noise, so you'll need a longer port. It can be made shorter, but port area goes down = possible port noise, or "chuffing".

Think "L-shaped" port. The length of the port is combined centerline lengths of both sections.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Use Aero ports to tame any port noise. They allow you to tune for a better sound to the ear, but you need to watch how it controls the cone motion or you could wind up popping subs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts