Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic Hatchback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to start my build page for a couple months now, better now than never!

Just some background about myself . . .

My first ever car was a 1985 Monte Carlo SS, an unsafe, v8, attention-grabbing boat. I finished highschool with this car, and after getting tired of the 10mpg, I purchased a 95 Civic DX Coupe for College. The coupe is when I really started wrenching on cars. Most of what I did to the coupe was maintenance. After finishing my first year of college I decided I wanting something a little nicer.

My 99 EX Accord, purchased exactly how it is pictured above. A fantastic car, extremely well maintained 5 speed that turned heads and got me around town just fine. After driving it around for the better part of a year, I decided I wanted something a little more fun that I could toss around corners.

What better car to do that in other than a Miata! I owned that car until I graduated college. She delivered pizza for 3 years, went through a motor, clutch, every brake caliper, tires, rollbar, and pages of maintenance work. I eventually gutted the interior/motor bay and had a few months of fun before I sold her to a kid down the street...who promptly blew up the motor in a couple short months. After driving a gutted car around, I decided on something a little nicer.

A near mint 99 LS400, purchased from a lovely older couple with a stack of receipts. Arguably the best car Lexus has made, and it's a title well deserved. I only had this car 6 months or so before not having a manual transmission really started to bother me. The buttery smooth v8 just wasn't enough for me, and just like with the Accord, I again wanted something fun to throw around.

My first choice was Miata, because I was familiar with the platform and the cars are a blast to drive. After thinking about it though, I began to have a "been there done that" attitude. The Miata is a car I'll probably go back to, but I needed something different to toy around with, and the "Ek" hatchbacks have always impressed me. They've always been great looking, capable cars to me.

Pictures are to come, but here's what I've added so far.

-y7 to y8 intake manifold, all new gaskets and intake hoses.
-Ebay whale penis intake
-All motor mounts replaced.
-Si gauge cluster and Si front seats.
-Tein Flex Z coilovers
-Kosei K1 wheels
-Inner and Outer tie rods

And here's what I have planned

-Rear seats and all the associated hardware has been removed, I plan on building my own "rear seat delete kit." After owning a Miata for so long, two seats is where it's at!
-Re-doing the interior from grey to black.
-AP1 s2000 steering wheel
-Sticky tires
-Rear Disc conversion
-Painting the car to Laguna Seca Blue found on Miatas.

and of course autocross and driver mods!

I'm sure I missed a few things, but I'm definitely excited to see where I can get this car to.

Questions and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been meaning to start my build page for a couple months now, better now than never!

Just some background about myself . . .

My first ever car was a 1985 Monte Carlo SS, an unsafe, v8, attention-grabbing boat. I finished highschool with this car, and after getting tired of the 10mpg, I purchased a 95 Civic DX Coupe for College. The coupe is when I really started wrenching on cars. Most of what I did to the coupe was maintenance. After finishing my first year of college I decided I wanting something a little nicer.

My 99 EX Accord, purchased exactly how it is pictured above. A fantastic car, extremely well maintained 5 speed that turned heads and got me around town just fine. After driving it around for the better part of a year, I decided I wanted something a little more fun that I could toss around corners.

What better car to do that in other than a Miata! I owned that car until I graduated college. She delivered pizza for 3 years, went through a motor, clutch, every brake caliper, tires, rollbar, and pages of maintenance work. I eventually gutted the interior/motor bay and had a few months of fun before I sold her to a kid down the street...who promptly blew up the motor in a couple short months. After driving a gutted car around, I decided on something a little nicer.

A near mint 99 LS400, purchased from a lovely older couple with a stack of receipts. Arguably the best car Lexus has made, and it's a title well deserved. I only had this car 6 months or so before not having a manual transmission really started to bother me. The buttery smooth v8 just wasn't enough for me, and just like with the Accord, I again wanted something fun to throw around.

My first choice was Miata, because I was familiar with the platform and the cars are a blast to drive. After thinking about it though, I began to have a "been there done that" attitude. The Miata is a car I'll probably go back to, but I needed something different to toy around with, and the "Ek" hatchbacks have always impressed me. They've always been great looking, capable cars to me.

Pictures are to come, but here's what I've added so far.

-y7 to y8 intake manifold, all new gaskets and intake hoses.

-Ebay whale penis intake

-All motor mounts replaced.

-Si gauge cluster and Si front seats.

-Tein Flex Z coilovers

-Kosei K1 wheels

-Inner and Outer tie rods

And here's what I have planned

-Rear seats and all the associated hardware has been removed, I plan on building my own "rear seat delete kit." After owning a Miata for so long, two seats is where it's at!

-Re-doing the interior from grey to black.

-AP1 s2000 steering wheel

-Sticky tires

-Rear Disc conversion

-Painting the car to Laguna Seca Blue found on Miatas.

and of course autocross and driver mods!

I'm sure I missed a few things, but I'm definitely excited to see where I can get this car to.

Questions and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Pretty sweet and unique collection of cars! Welcome to the forums. "Whale penis" lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Civic Hatchback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! All great in their own way for sure.
And whale penis is the most appropriate name for these intakes haha.

·
Registered
97 Civic Hatchback
1 Posts
Finally got the images of the civic uploaded this weekend.

The first picture I took of her. She definitely needed some work, but I couldn't find a hatch that wasn't modded or priced appropriately. The steering was sloppy, interior and exterior need work, and it had a hell of an vacuum leak that I found to be coming from the intake manifold gasket(yay!) Also, being a south Florida car means there are some random bits of rust, worst part being the radiator support, but nothing too worrisome.

On the plus side, a large amount of maintenance had just been performed on the car.
New plugs, wires, catalytic converter, timing belt, water pump, 02 sensors and a fresh oil change. Even better though, is after 5k miles she didn't lose a drop of oil. I was even told the clutch had been replaced a couple years back.

First extensive "mod" besides interior stuff, was replacing the black sheep intake manifold with the Y8 IM.

This was right after the swap, where I wasn't able to find a proper intake system and had to piece together that contraption. It worked though!

And now with the whale penis installed! Love the sound it makes too, and a welcome addition to the build.

Finally got a look inside, and was pleasantly met with one of the cleanest motors I've seen. Despite all the cosmetic issues, atleast I know she has a good heart!

And of course, have to finish the bay off with some nice wrinkle red! Came out great using a heat gun and waiting ~18 hours to dry enough to install it back on.

And if you have a good eye, you'll see at that point I already installed my coilovers, they just weren't low enough to really warrant pictures as you couldn't tell anyway.

Here's how she sits today, picked up some Kosei K1 wheels with some cheap all seasons. The tires have 90%+ tread life left though, which is nice! I really like more functional suspension set ups on lightweight manual cars, so I'll probably maintain this ride height. Might pick up some 5-10mm spacers to improve the fitment, but I'm digging it for now.

Immediate exterior issues should be obvious, a replacement fender will be installed soon, as well a new door. One of the previous owners must have hit the door on a rock/curb and the rust just had a field day. Luckily, it's completely isolated to just the door. Not really noticeable is the paint cancer these Hondas are so prone too. That will be addressed on the re-spray.

Pictures were taken by my buddy Alex. He's pretty decent with a camera! Check out the rest of his stuff on instagram. @Lowtege

Thanks for reading!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts