Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I'm trying to order a JE pro seal head gasket for my d16 with a .20 overbore meaning this is a 75.5mm bore. The smallest pro seal I can find is 76mm? Will this work? To me it seems like a red flag. I can find a Cometic in 75.5mm which is mainly why I'm concerned. Anybody got some info?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I think you will be okay. But you can certainly email JE themselves if worried.

Ive nearly always had a 75.5mm standard headgasket on any D series that Ive done a headgasket on, and only one of them ever actually had a 75.5 overbore for service correction.

If you are building for power, then definitely email JE and see what they say.

Reactions: Vtecfan

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
You'll be fine. I'm using the same gasket on my 75.5mm overbore:

Screenshot_20210113-074144_Gallery.jpg

20200331_003406.jpg

Also, don't let the new packaging fool you... JE's logo is nowhere to be found on the new proseal packaging for the D series gaskets unless you manage to find a really old one.

I called Proseal and JE, confirmed these are separate companies. JE just slaps their logo on Proseal's gaskets, but they are one and the same and have/had some kind of partnership setup at one point.

I originally thought I got fucked when these came in thinking and some asshole was selling knockoffs, but sure enough these things are the real deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info! Good thing I bored .5mm over then, I have a 76mm Pro Seal on order from JEGS. PN HN1020-033 for my Y8. And good info on the differences in branding, I bought from JEGS for ~hopefully~ faster shipping and I feel like JEGS would have real ones in stock even if there are fake ones around. Thanks again guys! Getting close to having my first running Honda and first street car.

@drtalon123 Everyone says these are the best you can get, and to be honest I'm sold without ever seeing one, but what was your impression of the Pro Seal over others? (Fel-Pro, Cometic, etc)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
These are really good gaskets. My Cometic failed a couple weeks after getting tuned. I figured it failed primarily due to head lift and the Viton coating getting scuffed away, but after removal i found that the fire rings were cracked:

20200510_183242.jpg

20200510_183253.jpg

20200510_183313.jpg

20200510_183326.jpg

I've replaced a ton of head gaskets in my lifetime so far, in both performance and stock applications, and have never personally seen that type of failure before. But after googling around, sure enough there were other reports of similar issues from guys running standard Cometic MLS gaskets in high HP DSM or LS engines.

Cometic makes some badass stopper layer gaskets for the K series and other V8 applications, but nothing for our D series.

Pro Seal is the only brand for the D that I could find who uses a stopper layer. This is an extra pinch of metal that provides a tight ring of tension around the combustion chamber. This helps with head lift issues, and gives a tighter seal under high pressures. I beat on my Pro Seal for a month and a half on 20-22 psi using a GT3271, and never pushed coolant the entire time.

Screenshot_20200516-225807_Chrome.jpg

What head lift looks like:

Screenshot_20200505-215030_Chrome.jpg

20200516_225950.jpg

Screenshot_20200516-225225_Chrome.jpg

20200516_230205.jpg

Then as fate would have it, 10 days before a track event, fucking tree falls on the car.....

20200723_110741.jpg

so its been parked for a while now. Need to get it in the garage, but I have to finish building the garage first lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are really good gaskets. My Cometic failed a couple weeks after getting tuned. I figured it failed primarily due to head lift and the Viton coating getting scuffed away, but after removal i found that the fire rings were cracked:

View attachment 137546

View attachment 137547

View attachment 137548

View attachment 137549

I've replaced a ton of head gaskets in my lifetime so far, in both performance and stock applications, and have never personally seen that type of failure before. But after googling around, sure enough there were other reports of similar issues from guys running standard Cometic MLS gaskets in high HP DSM or LS engines.

Cometic makes some badass stopper layer gaskets for the K series and other V8 applications, but nothing for our D series.

Pro Seal is the only brand for the D that I could find who uses a stopper layer. This is an extra pinch of metal that provides a tight ring of tension around the combustion chamber. This helps with head lift issues, and gives a tighter seal under high pressures. I beat on my Pro Seal for a month and a half on 20-22 psi using a GT3271, and never pushed coolant the entire time.

View attachment 137552

What head lift looks like:

View attachment 137551

View attachment 137553

View attachment 137554

View attachment 137555

Then as fate would have it, 10 days before a track event, fucking tree falls on the car.....

View attachment 137550

so its been parked for a while now. Need to get it in the garage, but I have to finish building the garage first lol.
Thanks for all the good info! Hearing about what happened to your car makes me sick though. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Terrible!

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
39 Posts
Dont forget to replace your head bolts, or go arp studs, these d bolts are starting to wear out after 3 or 4 head jobs over the years. Its no fun popping a cover to find a spinning head bolt, which has happened a few times these last few years for me.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
If you are reusing headbolts 3 or 4 times, you are a complete tool. Not even ghetto terd mechanics do that crap

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
39 Posts
Thats about the sum up of mechanics in my area, I spend most of my time fixing their screwups.😖

1 - 9 of 9 Posts