Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody out there who tried to combine a JDM D15B Vtec-E with a Toyota CT26 turbo?

After 4 years of Civic ownership I've finally made my mind about a Honda turbo project. This will be something done gradually, and will be budget oriented.

Any ideas and opinions are welcome, please no bashing. I know the Vtec-E is a POS, so please don't remind me about it.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Eek I dont know why everyone is in love with putting Supra turbos on hondas... they were designed for 3 liter 6 cylinder engines. I dont think it would spool very well at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eek I dont know why everyone is in love with putting Supra turbos on hondas... they were designed for 3 liter 6 cylinder engines. I dont think it would spool very well at all.

well, in my case, the reasons vary.

I removed myself this CT26 from my MA70's 7MGTE, so I know the condition, i.e. perfect and was rarely boosted more than 13psi.

It is a very good turbo(in general) to get reliable low boost figures from.

It is one of many turbos I have laying around, that unfortunately due to their inefficiency to boost higher than 17-18psi, I can't use on any other high boost project.

This will be a tight budget project. And right now I have 3 ongoing projects. So I will be saving myself some cash for my other cars.

I agree that the turbo was intended for 3 litre engines, but from experience I can declare that this turbo is more suited for a good revvy 2litre than a 3litre. If it spools earlier than 3500 on the D15 for me it's excellent.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
sell that turbo on ebay and get something a little bit smaller

how many miles on the motor?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sell that turbo on ebay and get something a little bit smaller

how many miles on the motor?

Not worth the hassle....of buying and selling. Besides, people from Malta can't sell on ebay. And local market is very limited for stock Toyota turbos.

Except the CT26 I have like other 5 turbos on the shelf, a T2, a T3 off a cosworth, a brand new T25, a T28 off some Nissan and a T66 which is pointless mentioning in context here. The CT26 is the only turbo I have which I can't use for hi-boost applications since these units die rapidly post the 17/18psi mark.

I am mainly in rotaries, diesels and big 6 cylinder engine tuning. This is my first project with a turbo Vtec. And since I am not targeting a bhp figure above the 180-200 mark, I figured the CT26 can give me a reliable 7 or 8 psi to attempt to reach that figure.

BTW the engine has 104,000 kms.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I'm sorry, but wouldn't the T25/T28 be much better suited for a 200 hp goal kit? Especially since it sounds like it won't be built, or even mini-me'd... Just a couple thoughts; oh plus there plenty of manifolds that bolt-on the T25/T28 easy. What does this turbo have T3/T4? or something else more suited for Toyota?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry, but wouldn't the T25/T28 be much better suited for a 200 hp goal kit? Especially since it sounds like it won't be built, or even mini-me'd... Just a couple thoughts; oh plus there plenty of manifolds that bolt-on the T25/T28 easy. What does this turbo have T3/T4? or something else more suited for Toyota?

Well you're right. No question about that.

The T25 could be ok, the T28 could be ok even the T3....but my point is all of them can be used for something better than turbocharging a Vtec-E!!!!!!

The Ct26 was the only option I had, I have no budget for a turbo other than that. A custom steel manifold would cost me $50 to $60 maximum.

And that's more than enough to start with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the templates to the machine shop to cut the flanges. I decided to go for a log manifold.

I was quoted Lm12 for both, that is 36US$.

Should be ready for Monday, I hope. I'll post pics as soon as I got them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
!

ok FIRST OFF STOP!! dont make that manifold....reason is, like someone already said...u would be better off with a t25 or t28 that u already have. ur HP goals are'nt anything crazy and their are many people who have already broken the 200whp mark with those turbos, and are roughly around 10-12psi. Another thing is the t25-28 is gonna be a lot more efficiant in a daily driver and not to mention the powerband and instant spool. OK now as for the CT-26 i too used to own an 88 supra turbo. What u are totally forgeting is that the turbo spools pretty decent for the 7mgte and by all means does not mean that its gonna spool the same with that little single cam! The trim i believe is a 54 and what is gonna lag ur ass is the HUGE exhaust housing(side)! it is gona be soo fucking laggy that u will regret ever putting it on! B-series guys run these turbos. one last thing, If u do decide to do it, the max that the turbo can handle is about 15-18 like u said, but psi doesnt mean shit.... that 15-18 psi on a single cam is gonna make a shit load of power compared to being on a 7mgte. with 7psi on ur motor its gona be fucking laggy but with a good tune u will break 200 easily i'd say maybe even upwards of 250. if anyone has seen the turbo in person the exhaust housing is huge and if not same size, bigger than the cold side housing. this is just all my opinion and maybe help u a little more about thinking aobut doing this. i have experienced large and small turbo setups and for the street u want "usable" power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok FIRST OFF STOP!! dont make that manifold....reason is, like someone already said...u would be better off with a t25 or t28 that u already have. ur HP goals are'nt anything crazy and their are many people who have already broken the 200whp mark with those turbos, and are roughly around 10-12psi. Another thing is the t25-28 is gonna be a lot more efficiant in a daily driver and not to mention the powerband and instant spool. OK now as for the CT-26 i too used to own an 88 supra turbo. What u are totally forgeting is that the turbo spools pretty decent for the 7mgte and by all means does not mean that its gonna spool the same with that little single cam! The trim i believe is a 54 and what is gonna lag ur ass is the HUGE exhaust housing(side)! it is gona be soo fucking laggy that u will regret ever putting it on! B-series guys run these turbos. one last thing, If u do decide to do it, the max that the turbo can handle is about 15-18 like u said, but psi doesnt mean shit.... that 15-18 psi on a single cam is gonna make a shit load of power compared to being on a 7mgte. with 7psi on ur motor its gona be fucking laggy but with a good tune u will break 200 easily i'd say maybe even upwards of 250. if anyone has seen the turbo in person the exhaust housing is huge and if not same size, bigger than the cold side housing. this is just all my opinion and maybe help u a little more about thinking aobut doing this. i have experienced large and small turbo setups and for the street u want "usable" power.
I appreciate your feedback. And basically I agree with all you've said. But as I explained before is either this turbo or no-turbo.

I hope that if one day I can spare some cash for a blitz SBC ID for the EG4, I can reduce some lag through the gain settings.

Nowadays I run a T88H38GK22cm on my street driven 7MGTE, and man that is lag! Well, thank god, there's nitrous.:p

I'll keep you posted with this 'king of lag' Vtec-E project.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hhahhah man iwanna see that mk3!! u must be bored of driving around a boat if u are gona build a civic....:)

Actually.... the MA70 it's more of a full size ship than a boat!!!:) But I ain't bored of her. Actually she's my favourite car. Somewhere in the Engine bay thread on this board there's a pic of her e.bay before the standalone went in.

Honestly, I am doing this thing with the civic just to spice up a bit my ownership. I know I don't want to sell her, but I continously think about selling her, cause frankly, with the Vtec-E, it's not that interesting a car to own! Besides, I am not really that enthusiast about FWD. And as I said this Vtec-E turbo thing, MUST be on a strict budget. I've got other 3 projects going on.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
nothing wrong with vtec-e turbo...

im running the d15z1 vtec-e block with a y8 head wich drops the compression to 8.04:1 and im using a t3 .42 .48 turbo at 12-14psi... i love the look when people say " vtec-e wtf is that " then im just like "oh its a 1.5 block with 92crank hp" lol see ya later

anyways.. any d series motor is good to build... just do some math and get some numbers and figure out what you want to push with it... good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nothing wrong with vtec-e turbo...

im running the d15z1 vtec-e block with a y8 head wich drops the compression to 8.04:1 and im using a t3 .42 .48 turbo at 12-14psi... i love the look when people say " vtec-e wtf is that " then im just like "oh its a 1.5 block with 92crank hp" lol see ya later

anyways.. any d series motor is good to build... just do some math and get some numbers and figure out what you want to push with it... good luck
Thanks man!

I believe the D15Z1 and the D15B (JDM) Vtec-E blocks to be the same. Did you keep the Vtec-E top cover with the Y8 head??? And what about rods and pistons?

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Thanks man!

I believe the D15Z1 and the D15B (JDM) Vtec-E blocks to be the same. Did you keep the Vtec-E top cover with the Y8 head??? And what about rods and pistons?
yea they are the same... hell yea i kept the valve cover.. thats what throws everyone off when i pop the hood... bragging rights... lol

heres a pic of the pistons... everyone said that the rods are a little smaller (in thickness) then z6 rods.. but they are bigger then non vtec 1.5 rods.. when i had the oil pan off to put in oil return fittings i looked at the rods and they seem to be the same size as z6 rods.. but i didnt take them out and mic them.. so i really cant say just by looks...

anyways heres a pic pistons spec is -16.1 dish

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, I like the concept behind your project..... I hope one day I can stick some better head on my block too.

Vtec-E rules!!!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Man, I like the concept behind your project..... I hope one day I can stick some better head on my block too.

Vtec-E rules!!!
thanks.. i had a complete z6 with a y8 head but i put in aftermarket guages and temp senders.. and the temp sender never worked right.. or read higher then normal operating temp and one day on the freeway the car died.. and i cooked the motor....

this was my spare block, so if i blew a motor up i would have it to put in.. but one day i was thinking about it and did some math and came up with the z1 block with y8 head.. z6 head would be too low compression...

its still really fun.. just not much power in 1st gear.. 2-5 is awesome tho

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Vted-E and a ct-26... its not going to be a good combo... Ill just let you figure it out for yourself. Oh and you can push a ct26 to 15 psi, but it sure as hell isnt going to last long. they were designed for 8 psi, and can be pushed to 11 effeciently. Anything more than that needs to have the trim upgraded, I could go on, but your putting this on a 4 cyl motor, which its not designed for.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't understand you guys making references to the toyota turbo having a maximum boost pressure of 15psi? It isn't about psi, it is about AIR FLOW. Picture the amount of air that is needed to pressurize the supra manifold to 15psi when it has 6-500cc cylinders sucking air out of it. That same amount of air might give the little D 25psi and not overwork the turbo (but it would likely blow the engine sky high) Also, running that turbo at a mere 7psi or so on a 1.6 is likely going to be way below it's efficiency range as it would be running half as hard as it ever did on a stock supra. If all you want is light boost, sell that turbo and buy a little rbh5 or something.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts