Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 civic ex standard vtec. I need to replace the stock d16y8 engine. I've tried all of the junkyards in my area as well as Craigslist and I can't find a motor with reasonable miles.so I have turned to jdm.
Does any one have experience with usedjapanmotors.com ? I requested a price quote and talked to a sales rep today, and they seemed pretty Legit.
I am considering the d16y8 for 96-00 out of their online shop.

So does any one have an opinion or past experience with this company?
If so, let me know

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except for the fact that hmotors does not have the particular engine I need

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
The only reason to get rid of your Y8 would be if you destroyed it completely. Is it not rebuildable? D16Y8 is not a "JDM" motor.

Two most common "JDM" single slammer swaps
Obd-1 D15bvtec
Obd-2 D15b 3 stage vtec=not as fun to tune

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
unless you live in California, get a jdm b16 swap from h-motorsonline.
do a rear disk conversion and enjoy your em1 clone.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, a b series swap is out of question, I can't afford the swap. It blew a connectingrod and burned out the 4th cylinder and there were chunks of metal through out the oil pan. I need to replace this. Judging by the info given on the website, what engine are they trying to sell me then

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I would p*** around and wait for a new shipment to come in, but I NEED my car back up and running ASAP. Back on topic, has anyone ever dealt with usedjapanmotors.com before?

·
Registered
1998 civic ex coupe
30 Posts
I'm kind of in the same position as you just not at all as bad lol. Was looking around for a new motor but in here Orlando shit is ran on hard and people are shady so decided just to rebuild mine. I personally wouldn't mess with jdm stuff unless you can get a chipped ecu because finding a p2j ecu for the stage 3 vtec (considering your obd2) would be expensive and time consuming. The obd1 is fine but you need a obd1 harness and a chipped ecu or p08. if i was you i would just find a cheap block and use my y8 parts on it. To answer your question no i haven't heard of anything from them but i hear a lot of good stuff about hmotors.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Ok, a b series swap is out of question, I can't afford the swap. It blew a connectingrod and burned out the 4th cylinder and there were chunks of metal through out the oil pan.
then i would look for something like this:
JDM 96-00 Honda Civic 1.6L SOHC D16Y7 NonVTEC ZC Engine | eBay

its VERY similar to the usdm d16y7
i do not know this seller, and i am not telling you to buy from him.
will you be doing the work yourself?
i recommend you keep your y8 head and intake and exhaust manifolds, or get a y7 ecu if you use the 96-00 ZC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
op, I know this thread is a moth old not sure if you already got your motor or not, when you said Hmotors did not have what you are looking for, did you call them? The reason I ask is because they don't list everything they have on their website.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
find a z6 block and slap your existing y8 head on and enjoy higher compression. the quench is changed and you may have to play with timing a little to smooth everything out, but it will daily drive just fine and get slightly better gas mileage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.