Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever put an obd2 jdm d16a in a ef? already mpfi converted, mainly concerned about leaving the ckf plug, unplugged, will this cause any probs?will it even start, already swapped the alternator and dizzy, IM, pm6 ecu and trans from my d15b7

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
crank sensor can be ignored if you have the d15b7 distributor installed.

Should run perfectly fine if the map on the ecu is matched to a d16a6 or d15b7. If d15b7, the map will simply need a little bit of fuel here and there, especially the full throttle enrichment.

Make sure NOT to run a map for a d16y7, unless you have the smaller 190cc injectors used.

Reactions: burntoutstarr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crank sensor can be ignored if you have the d15b7 distributor installed.

Should run perfectly fine if the map on the ecu is matched to a d16a6 or d15b7. If d15b7, the map will simply need a little bit of fuel here and there, especially the full throttle enrichment.

Make sure NOT to run a map for a d16y7, unless you have the smaller 190cc injectors used.
thank you for the info man! but what do you mean it will need more fuel here or there, and especially the full throttle enrichment? it wont run at full strength? ill need a chip? everything is off the d15b7w pm6 ecu

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The Y7 is a larger motor. more motor, more fuel.

It will probably run just fine, just dont drive it hard when its in open loop warm up.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
open loop means its running off of programming and a few sensors.

Closed loop means it is using all teh sensors, including the O2 sensor, to operate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
open loop means its running off of programming and a few sensors.

Closed loop means it is using all teh sensors, including the O2 sensor, to operate.
ahhhh I see, and since the ecu isnt meant for the obd2 d16 engine, its going to be open loop? therefore im going to need a tune and have to jump up to obd1? thank you man

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not making much sense.

you siad you are running it on a d15b7 ecu, yet mention a PM6, which is the ecu for the d16a6.

its not going to stay in open loop. That is for warm up.

If you are running the PM6 ecu like mentioned, you should be fine. The d16y7 is basically the newer version with a little more compression and a bit healthier camshaft.

With d16a6 intake manifold and exhaust, you actually should be just fine.

BUT if you actually meant d15b7, and you are running the P06 OBD1 ecu for dx/lx civics 92-95, then my statement stands, dont drive it hard when its in open loop warm up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah my fault on the confusion, bought my sedan and mpfi swapped with a pm6 ecu rather than the pm5 that was in

after found out the person I about the car off of swapped the b7 in but just used everything off the b2 engine

but currently have the pm6, so it sounds all good then

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yep, should run fine. Not sure why you went with a JDM d16 nonvtec though, most JDM motors have been sitting forever, and more likely to fail than a decent used d16y7 in a family commuter car

Either way, change the oil early a few times, watch your sparkplugs to be sure things are happy in the combustion chamber, and enjoy the swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, should run fine. Not sure why you went with a JDM d16 nonvtec though, most JDM motors have been sitting forever, and more likely to fail than a decent used d16y7 in a family commuter car

Either way, change the oil early a few times, watch your sparkplugs to be sure things are happy in the combustion chamber, and enjoy the swap.
thank you for that info man, much appreciated, i will and will post an update, need to swap the timing belt, ripped on the first try crank, hopefully didnt bend some valves lol

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
generally they dont do any damage if the engine was cold and not at full song.

I doubt you have anything more than maybe some carbon cleaned off the edge of a few valves

1 - 14 of 14 Posts