Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my 262k mile oil burning y8 is getting a replacement. I found a good deal on a jdm d15b with a z6 head locally. I pulled the y8 and am currently swapping some parts over. Now for my questions which will be asked throughout this process here is where I am at.

I am putting my y8 intake manifold on the z6 head, which gasket do I use z6 or y8?

My d15b did not come with a thermostat housing so I swapped over my y8 housing onto the z6 pipe it fits snug should I worry about a leak?

I also noticed the d15b water pipe on the back of the block has 2 nippled coming off of it as opposed to 1 on the y8. What does the extra nipple near the thermostat housing go?

I am also going to be running a p28 with the new setup.

More questions and pictures to come!

·
Registered
civic
63 Posts
I'de get the same gasket as the the head, so z6.I wouldnt worry about a leak unless the o-ring was worn or torn. The water pipe must be off a D15z1. The extra nipple is for the oil cooler. if you have one hook it up to that. if not just plug it up.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
You need to run the y8 cam gear or else your timing will be 4.5-4.75* advanced unless you have the genuine jdm d15b cam.

If you didn't lubricate the o rings on the water pipe to the thermostat housing you might lose sleep over it but won't know until you start filling the water and hear the trickle down water sound running down the back of the block and puddling under your engine. The O ring one the water pump side is really easy to pinch.
The d15b7 water pipes have the extra nipple also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to run the y8 cam gear or else your timing will be 4.5-4.75* advanced unless you have the genuine jdm d15b cam.

If you didn't lubricate the o rings on the water pipe to the thermostat housing you might lose sleep over it but won't know until you start filling the water and hear the trickle down water sound running down the back of the block and puddling under your engine. The O ring one the water pump side is really easy to pinch.
The d15b7 water pipes have the extra nipple also.
How can I tell if I have the jdm cam?

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
How can I tell if I have the jdm cam?
This really sucks because you'd have to degree the cam to know for sure if you weren't sure about it. Is there any way you can contact the other guy about what cam he put in there?

This is an idea. If you set the two cams side by side without the gears with the key way on top, (let the timing belt ends face you) and if one of the cams lobe sets are slightly angled more to the right, it's the jdm cam. If both cam lob sets are at exactly the same angle you have two d16 cams. Chances are he put the jdm can in but you never know.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
This really sucks because you'd have to degree the cam to know for sure if you weren't sure about it. Is there any way you can contact the other guy about what cam he put in there?

This is an idea. If you set the two cams side by side without the gears with the key way on top, (let the timing belt ends face you) and if one of the cams lobe sets are slightly angled more to the right, it's the jdm cam. If both cam lob sets are at exactly the same angle you have two d16 cams. Chances are he put the jdm can in but you never know.
Im running the same setup in my build... wouldnt you be fine if you used the z6 cam with the z6 cam gear??

if not can you just adjust use an adjustable cam gear to make up for it? and why is a y8 cam gear going to work? cause i thought the y8 and z6 were only off by 1 degree?

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
It's because the cam isn't at top dead center when the block is. It looks like you haven't had any issues with the valves but If you are on a stock p28 ecu the timing will be off.

Yes, you can run an adjustable cam gear.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Im running the same setup in my build... wouldnt you be fine if you used the z6 cam with the z6 cam gear??

if not can you just adjust use an adjustable cam gear to make up for it? and why is a y8 cam gear going to work? cause i thought the y8 and z6 were only off by 1 degree?
My bad, the y8 and z6 cams both face the same direction. It's their cam gears that are different.
The cam gears are 4.5-4.75* different.
A y8 cam gear would work because D16 cams are 4.5* advanced on the d15 block. The y8 cam gear being 4.5* retarded less than the z6 pm3b cam gear compensates for this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts