Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Honda Civic Ex (ej8)...stock ECU is P2P OBD2. Now my question is when I buy a obd2 to obd1 conversion and throw a p28 or p08 ECU what do I need to do with the dizzy? (it has one fat plug). Also is there a ECU that I can buy that will go good with a d15b/y8 and stay obd2??? because switching to obd2 to obd1 confused the heck out of me when everyone was talking about splicing wires, etc.... Or is there a dizzy conversion wire piece that I could buy so that I don't have to cut any wires? Please link everything I need if y'all would please, so far I need a obd1 to obd2 conversion, a p28 or p08 ECU, and sum with the dizzy please help I want my engine d15b to run good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can you describe what parts are actually different/swapped? Is there a reason you need OBD1?

Letting us know if you are replacing the block with a D15B, keeping the original Y8 head, or replacing the D15B head with a Y8 version will better help us understand what components you will need to make the swap work.

There is no sense electrically in doing any of what you're trying to do if you already have a D15B engine in there, wanting to go to the Y8 head. Someone already went through the trouble of making the D15B work with an OBD2 engine harness, or it was already an OBD2 engine. Going Y8 head onto an OBD1 D15B is most likely what prompts the conversion to OBD1 if the engine is in fact an OBD1 engine.

You would/should use an OBD2 ECU that runs a D16Y8 engine.

The crankshaft variation sensor mounted on the oil pump of OBD2 D engines is used for misfire detection. Without this sensor mounted and functioning, you will get a fault code if using an OBD2 ECU.

The other issue of converting an OBD2 car to OBD1 is country/state/county emissions testing. If you live in a place where they use OBD2 monitor test result data and MIL light illumination parameter to determine if a vehicle is emissions compliant, using an OBD1 ECU and conversion harness/adapter will not allow the emissions testing equipment to communicate with the ECU, nor is the ECU OBD2 compliant. It would result in an automatic fail, and you would need to remedy ECU communications and pass all monitored tests using an OBD2 ECU to pass emissions testing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooooh sh*$$$$, so I have a 96 ej8 and the stock engine is a d16y8 OBD2 bc it even says the stock ECU is a P2P ECU , so with that being said, someone took the block and threw in a JDM D15B engine, everything else wasn't touched, then they just plugged everything in and boom it works. That's what happened (1)so now I'm staying OBD2 but what ECU should I use?? And the only reason I wanted to switch to obd1 was because the obd1 ecu's were the best ones to run best on a d15b, (2) please give me a list view of what I NEED to do plz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts