Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i havent been around hondas for a little while but decided to get back in and tare down the d15b and build it up for turbo. who all is making custom length rods for the jdm d15b anymore since fjt is no longer selling. i have been searching for the past few weeks and not finding much. thanks guys

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
jdm d15b rods are the same size and length as d16 rods, any after market d16 rods will work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea forgot to mention I was going to use vitara pistons. So I guess there is no one making custom length rods. .5 mm seems a bit much off a piston, have u tried this?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
I'm pretty sure FJT had a set of FJ R spec rods and vitaras for the JDM D15B vtec. I'm not sure what the length is but I was under the assumption that they were a different length.

But if you're not using vitaras I guess that won't matter much, will it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I remember he had good deals on the shorter rods with vitara pistons but since he's no longer selling its making it hard to find a set of those bad boys.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you will be using a z6 head(obd1 jdb d15b) you should be able to use regular lenth 137mm aftermarket rods(like eagels or alike) and vitaras. You have to make sure it is the obd1 jdm d15 block and head though. The head pocket is deep enough to accept the 0.5mm piston into it. I'd still clay it to make sure your p2v clearance is ok. The obd2 block and head will not work.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
If you will be using a z6 head(obd1 jdb d15b) you should be able to use regular lenth 137mm aftermarket rods(like eagels or alike) and vitaras. You have to make sure it is the obd1 jdm d15 block and head though. The head pocket is deep enough to accept the 0.5mm piston into it. I'd still clay it to make sure your p2v clearance is ok. The obd2 block and head will not work.
that is correct.
i have posted a pic several times of a vitara/137mm rod in a d15.
you do not want to take any material off the piston, other than smoothing the face.

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Cx
1,276 Posts
D15b rods are different that D16z rods.
Custom length rods are used, or else the piston is up out the block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I got that much and the d15b rods are the same length as z6 rods. Well I'll try to do more searching on there and keep trying to find some that is making shorter rods for vitara pistons. Thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
92 Honda Civic Cx
1,276 Posts
EDIT: i was thinking of Piston height. lol. my bad.
D15b is 137mm with a 27mm piston height. where as the Vitara is a 29mm

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Humm I'd be worried about such high compression ratio
lol, 8.10:1 is not high compression

D15b rods are different that D16z rods.
Custom length rods are used, or else the piston is up out the block.
no, obd1 jdm d15 vtec has same rods as d16's, 137mm.
fj's custom d15 rods were shorter to have vitara pistons sitting flush at tdc.
but sticking out .4mm has been done

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
8.10:1? With .5mm sticking out? You lost me cause isn't stock 9.6:1 on a jdm d15 with the piston in the hole?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
8.10:1? With .5mm sticking out? You lost me cause isn't stock 9.6:1 on a jdm d15 with the piston in the hole?
some quick math:
vitara is .9mm taller than p08
p08 + 137mm = -.5mm from deck height (d15 block)
vitara + 137mm = +.4mm from deck height (d15 block)

my measurements correspond with the info on the zeal comp calc.

as 96-Civic-Ex mentioned, the vitara deep dish design results in low compression.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts