·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this 2 swap cost me the same !!

d15b vtec have low millage,but is 1.5 less torque
d16z6 have more aftermarket option but have more milage

d15 or d16 i need to know who is the more tuff/strengt

the z6 trAnny s20 i think is the same than jdm d15b vtec ?
now remember is on ek coupe dx my plan is to low boost it this spring whit stock block/head

setup :

t28 turbo internal wg set to 10 psi
cast manifold
ebay fmic and blowoff
2.5 downpipe to oem type r exaust 2 1/4
exedy stage 1
p28 crome chip/dyno tuning
440 cc injector

in 1150 kilo whit me ek coupe * GOAL* 180~200 whp max

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO I'd go with the d16z6. I've had both. Z6 it's easier to locate new and used parts if you ever run into trouble also like you said more aftermarket parts available. Wouldn't say many because most can be found and purchased for a usdm d16/d15 for the JDM d15b but d16z6 would simplify things. As long as both engines are strong and healthy one isn't any stronger then the other under boost. (or weaker if that's how you want to look at it...it is a stock d series) The jdm d15b transmission/gearing is the same as the d16z6. However SOME JDM d15b trannys do come with an option factory LSD. Rare to find tho. No reason you shouldn't hot your power goal with your setup.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Speaking from my personal experience I would go with the z6. Th d15b is not hard to source parts for the only unique thing it has is the crank ... there's even a sticky with all the part numbers on here somewhere. Back on topic. Up until a little while ago I was running a boosted d15b7/z6 mini me setup which was sitting at about 10:1 CR. Not too shabby, was a blast to drive. I recently swapped in a stroked z6 block (currently sitting at 1.7L) it's sitting at about 9.5:1 CR. Now the effect of this swap ... and changing nothing else ... was pretty drastic. The extra stroke more than makes up for the loss in CR and I gained 10-20 whp throughout the rev range and 20-30 wtq. Same head, same turbo, same boost level ... pretty much the same tune. My vote ... go for the d16 it will give you a broader and more useable power band.

Either one will hit your power goal very easily.

But in all seriousness ... you'll want more just you wait.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Speaking from my personal experience I would go with the z6. Th d15b is not hard to source parts for the only unique thing it has is the crank ... there's even a sticky with all the part numbers on here somewhere. Back on topic. Up until a little while ago I was running a boosted d15b7/z6 mini me setup which was sitting at about 10:1 CR. Not too shabby, was a blast to drive. I recently swapped in a stroked z6 block (currently sitting at 1.7L) it's sitting at about 9.5:1 CR. Now the effect of this swap ... and changing nothing else ... was pretty drastic. The extra stroke more than makes up for the loss in CR and I gained 10-20 whp throughout the rev range and 20-30 wtq. Same head, same turbo, same boost level ... pretty much the same tune. My vote ... go for the d16 it will give you a broader and more useable power band.

Either one will hit your power goal very easily.

But in all seriousness ... you'll want more just you wait.
I thought the pistons were unique as well. Might be wrong on this tho.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you go 96+jdm d15b you will end up switching the head for a z6 and putting jdm cam in... As someone else mentioned its a pain to get parts or gaskets, and aftermarket is limited. Even if you have part numbers sometimes they cannot get it. Ive had both and the head besides the cam/vtec are basically identical comparing 98 jdm d15b to 98 usdm d16z6. Last race season I was using a jdm d15b bottom end with z6 head. This year I will be going full z6.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I thought the pistons were unique as well. Might be wrong on this tho.
that is correct (p08 =/= p28 ).
but vitaras will work...

·
Registered
53 Posts
that is correct (p08 =/= p28 ).
but vitaras will work...
I don't mean to thread jack but this is the first I'm hearing of this so I have a question. So since the rob length for the JDM d15b and the Z6 are the same @ 137mm, Your saying rods for a Z6 and Vitaras pistons will work, without the pistons coming of of the Deck?

·
Registered
90 Posts
go for the z6. i had a full z6 then swapped the bottom end for a d15b and i regret it everyday.. parts are a pain to find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think the z6 swap are better for my goal and parts ability
thanks all i love this site all reply here is informatif

·
Registered
5 Posts
i rock a z6...held up to boost for the last 7 years and still havent had any major issues...ive had to many friends with other d-series that have complaints, so ill stick to the z6 as long as i have this hatch

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if i do a small rebuilt of the z6 bearing,ring,arp head stud and oem head gasket is better to do that or leave it stock and rebuilt in the future whit eagle rod and je piston ?

450 cc dsm whit resistor box or bisi 440cc high ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts