Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new here, lol, ok i juss got a 93 JDM D15B installed into my 91 civic hb si. Now, is this motor vtec? it doesn't say vtec on the valve cover, juss says 16 valve Honda and has the honda symbol to the left of the writing. If it is, then how can i go about gettin the vtec to work? Also, is this a good motor? my HG blew on my stock motor, is this a good replacement? What other cheap mods can i do to this motor to get a lil more pep out of it?

Thanks for your time guys/girls.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
On the back of the cylinder head there's a green plug if it's VTEC. If it's not there's nothing there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check the code on the front to make sure it is D15B and not a D15B7/etc. If it is Vtec, you'll need a P28 ECU and be able to wire it into your existing harness. Possibly also chip the ECU with the P08 maps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok awesome im gona go and check that out ill let you guys know

ok so i juss went out and checked, and i saw no green plug at all :( does this mean my d15b is not vtec??

The stamp on the block does say D15B and the timing belt cover is all in japanese writing

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok awesome im gona go and check that out ill let you guys know

ok so i juss went out and checked, and i saw no green plug at all :( does this mean my d15b is not vtec??

The stamp on the block does say D15B and the timing belt cover is all in japanese writing
The plug isn't on the back, it's right behind the disty.

Look here, in that second picture, the green plug is your Vtec oil pressure sensor, and the round silver/rust colored thing is the actual solenoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ahhh thanks for those pics man, lol i had no idea exactly where it was, ok so i juss went out and checked it out with my flash light, now i think there is vtec, except that there is aplate over the hole where the solonoid goes and its bolted on, so i think this motor does have vtec, now the question is what do i need to hook up this vtec??? like the solonoid obviously, but what else?

·
Registered
787 Posts
its gotta have vtec if it says d15b and the timing cover is in japp cause my buddies got the same motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its gotta have vtec if it says d15b and the timing cover is in japp cause my buddies got the same motor
yea thats what i am saying too, except where the vtec solenoid goes is juss a plate thats bolted on, no solenoid. so now what do i need to get it all hooked up for vtec?

·
Registered
149 Posts
yea thats what i am saying too, except where the vtec solenoid goes is juss a plate thats bolted on, no solenoid. so now what do i need to get it all hooked up for vtec?
I've never heard of such a thing, but if that's the case, I'd pull the rocker cover and make sure you have the (lost motion control) I think it's called. The extra Vtec stuff. I have no idea why the solenoid would be blocked off otherwise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
its most likely a d15b non vtec, ive had one in my car and my buddie still has one on his, all it is, is a usdm d15, flat top pistons, and yada yada

1 - 10 of 10 Posts