Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason why I should be looking for an intake manifold upgrade for my JDM D15B? I've heard people say that the Z6 manifold is better than the Y8 manifold. But isn't the D15B manifold the same as the Z6? Are there any upgrades short of buying an aftermarket manifold?

·
Registered
225 Posts
i have read that the d15 has a higher air need since uses more air than the d16, but i donno if it needs a diff IM. I have the same swap and run the d16 Mani, it seems fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The stock intake manifold for a JDM D15B IS a USDM D16Z6. Both are stamped with P08 on the back of the intake manifold. When looking at it from the front view(like just opening your hood and staring at it) peek your head just around the back of it on the driver side, you should see it stamped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I should have been a little clearer with the description. It's an OBD 1 D15B. It is pretty much stock other than I/H/E and a chipped P28. The car pulls great but I was just looking to maybe squeeze a little bit more out of her before she gets turboed here sometime in the near future. I keep seeing everyone saying to put on a Y8 manifold but I believe that was only for the NON-VTEC crowd. I was wondering if there was any kind of OEM IM love for us D15 crowd or if our manifolds are the best we can get for our small displacement motors.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
i have read that the d15 has a higher air need since uses more air than the d16, but i donno if it needs a diff IM. I have the same swap and run the d16 Mani, it seems fine.
smaller motor needs less air at same RPM.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
The stock intake manifold for a JDM D15B IS a USDM D16Z6. Both are stamped with P08 on the back of the intake manifold. When looking at it from the front view(like just opening your hood and staring at it) peek your head just around the back of it on the driver side, you should see it stamped.
Sorry, which of the FIVE different D15B's were you refering to?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Again, as I have stated in other threads and as monkeyspank stated here, a JDM D15B IM and Z6 IM are the SAME! A Y8 IM is not "only for the non-vtec crowd". It came on a SOHC VTEC engine, the D16Y8, which is essentially the OBD2 version of the D16Z6. If you are bent on a new IM, go aftermarket. Id recommend a JG/Edelbrock Performer X, I have a Skunk2 Pro Series IM and am plenty happy with it, but if I had to do it all over again, Id get the JG/Edelbrock. Keep an eye out on the classifieds of all the forums (here, honda-tech, etc.) I got a good deal on mine used.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Please, which of the JDM D15B's are you refering too?

Lets see how many variations I can come up with
D15B Carb, yep, totally different.
D15B VTEC-E = our VX
D15B nonVTEC = our DX
D15B VTEC = EX/Si
D15B three stage VTEC = Y8 (?)

So your saying that the five DIFFERENT intakes I just listed are really all the same?

Please share what you've been smoking, unless your smoking pole then you can keep it to yourself!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
hum, now yall saying the 3stage vtec thing is like a Y8, before this post, Everyone said that head is exactly the same as Z6....wtf..

ps id go with the performer X also. or just leave it stock.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry I should have been a little clearer with the description. It's an OBD 1 D15B. It is pretty much stock other than I/H/E and a chipped P28. The car pulls great but I was just looking to maybe squeeze a little bit more out of her before she gets turboed here sometime in the near future. I keep seeing everyone saying to put on a Y8 manifold but I believe that was only for the NON-VTEC crowd. I was wondering if there was any kind of OEM IM love for us D15 crowd or if our manifolds are the best we can get for our small displacement motors.
Just save that $$$ and put it into your turbo setup, your factory D15B Vtec IM is good enough. If you really need a new IM get a PerformerX so you don't completely rape your low end torque. If you really want some more pep before you go turbo why not get a Bisi Stage 1 cam, should be great 10% +/- in power, and not have too much overlap so when you do go turbo you arn't just blowing boost out the exhaust. Or better yet get on the phone with him give him your turbo system specs and overall engine specs and have him do a custom grind for you. Much better money spent than the 5whp you are gonna gain at 6500 rpm to redline with an even shorter/fatter runner plenum style IM upgrade.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Please, which of the JDM D15B's are you refering too?

Lets see how many variations I can come up with
D15B Carb, yep, totally different.
D15B VTEC-E = our VX
D15B nonVTEC = our DX
D15B VTEC = EX/Si
D15B three stage VTEC = Y8 (?)

So your saying that the five DIFFERENT intakes I just listed are really all the same?
lol Bone! i bet he's refering to the JDM D15B with the P08 piston, P08 crank and PM6 rods! :bong:

- if yes, just use the P08 mani you have now. I believe it's sized perfect for that motor as is. Maybe go bigger WHEN you turbo.
And TAKE Luke's advice on port matching TBs. "never ever, ever, ever..." :skull:
I can tell from my own experiences that he's completely right about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, exactly what the guy up from me said, this is on the OBD1 D15B, referred to and can use parts from the EX and Si motor (D16Z6 1992-1995). If you need the purge solenoid, just drill a hole through the little bugger where it is supposed to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like my motor. It really fits my car as far as performance goals and it really responds well to what I've got into it. I bought the car for $650 and have probably another $1000 into it. Sure the body is rough but that's just cosmetic for now. But honestly I passed emissions with less emissions than my Integra did. I have I/H/E and a chipped P28 ECU. For example I'm rockin the LX trans and last night I had three other people in the car and the girl in the back seat ALONE was 250+lbs. Well I was driving through town and noticed this dickhead behind me riding my ass. He was in a 00' maybe 02' Mustang GT. Well we got to a two lane road and he went to pass me. That's when I shifted to second and redlined at 8000 RPM and shifted to third at around 60 MPH. I stayed dead even with him until I hit 4th at about 80 MPH. Then I had to let off of it because I know there's alot of cops around. But the point of the story is I stayed fender to fender with this dude and it felt AWESOME. Plus averaging between 32 and 38 MPG feels nice too. It felt nice when I pulled on that GT and knowing he's probably getting about 7 MPG when he's on his car and I'm getting like 28 MPG while still managing to keep up with him...lol Next is definately an EX or Si tranny. I just need to find one that doesn't grind. Oh yeah, and I've got an EG8 four door.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts