Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new here, please go easy on me!

I am currently swapping a 92-95 jdm d15b into my 1979 civic.

I am a member of the 1st gen civic forums but as this is d series related I felt it would make more sense to come here for help.

Anyways, my issue is I can't find the proper axles for my tranny.

I have an 88-91 L3 trans (L3-1710563) and I bought the supposedly proper axles for an 88-91 civic ( part number: HO8055) and they do not fit. They are too small and there's a lot of play, and they're just not the correct ones. I've done a load of research and have come up empty handed. From what I've read it seems like all d series axles should work, but that's obviously not the case?

Anyways, would really appreciate some help with this so I can get some work done before the winter hits.

Cheers

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
is your transmission a sohc or dohc transmission? thats the only thing I can think of short of the parts store having the wrong axles in the right box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. the place I bought the trans from states its an 88-91 sohc. It seems like i need a larger diameter shafts. The axles just kind of 'sit' in it. Is there any way to figure out whether its an sohc or dohc?

thanks

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Sounds like you got a DOHC trans, that isn't a bad thing. Much better gearing than stock.

jlicrx was a guru with the 4g chassis and he always said

for axles on the 88-91 CRX/Civic with ZC transmission and stock front suspension, use the ZC intermediate shaft with 1 right hand 90-93 Integra axle and 1 left hand 90-93 Integra axle - remove the dust rings form the axles and hubs
Others will say you need custom axles from Raxles or some OEM ZC shafts.

I assume you are talking about the trans side anyways. If not the HF/STD hubs have different spline count than the DX/SI.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
thanks for the reply. the place I bought the trans from states its an 88-91 sohc. It seems like i need a larger diameter shafts. The axles just kind of 'sit' in it. Is there any way to figure out whether its an sohc or dohc?

thanks
pull the axles out and measure the snout diameter, and also count the splines

DO this on both the tranny side and the hub side.

What are your numbers? They will tell you what axles you have.

This will let us further track down the proper axles for you.

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts